Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skis for telemarking

Poster: A snowHead
My Scott Aztec Pros have served me well, but have quite literally just started running out of edge. Which is a bit of bummer as I just mounted my telemark bindings on them.

So, I'm going to need some new telemark skis. And there I'm stuck. And there I need some advice.

The problem being that I'm not yet good enough at telemarking to have an opinion about skis. But I'll be lucky if the Aztecs last me until the end of the season. So I need to think about replacing them now.

There's quite a big bit of me that wants to "go funky" (well, for me) and go for some Icelandic Nomads. And I can certainly imagine that it's going to help me get into the variable. And if I "go funky", do I go short as well? (I've PM'd kiwi1 to see if I can do a demo next weekend.) My concern about the Nomads is what's likely to happen when I start hitting bumps (which is going to be bad enough anyway) and what they'll be like on-piste.

The sensible bit of me says that I need some developmental skis with more of an on-piste focus. But there again I'm stuck. I've sort of been toying with 168 B83s - primarily because they probably have enough width underfoot for me to get off-piste, have a short turn radius and will handle ok on piste.

But I'm sure that there are many other options...

So, experienced telemarkers. Any sage advice?

174cm and 85kg (and please don't do a BMI on that wink)
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
buy an old pair off richard wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skimottaret wrote:
buy an old pair off richard wink

Doesn't allow the necessary arsing around!

(Didn't make it today - have been down with a bad cold for three days.)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
i have yet to try my "hybrid" karmas with VIST alpine and tele bindings. fianlly got them sorted and will be taking out to the 3v's in april but need a few more goes at MK i think first.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ah sod it. I'm going funky.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
why not indeed.... hpefully there will a reasonable element of f**ing about though with binding positioning, lack of drill jigs for tele bindings etc. for the nomads
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PhillipStanton, if you like a ski for alpine you'll enjoy telemarking on it. At least that's what I've found.

IMO you should get something a little bit fatter and a little bit longer than you might have otherwise go for in an alpine ski. Skiing telemark on the hard pack is OK but it's really about skiing off piste. So you might as well have something that can cope with it.

Don't sacrifice too much sidecut though. Maybe something like a Seth Vicous?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks parlor.

BTW, could I ask - how long did it take you to get competent on the teles?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skimottaret wrote:
...hpefully there will a reasonable element of f**ing about...

Now you're getting the idea wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
PhillipStanton, 168cm Nomad is a ripper but if you want longer I'm currently sitting along side a brand new pair of 08/09 Nomads in 181cm which is 146-112-136. Cool
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PhillipStanton, I was a little drunk last night. Scrap the Seth Vicous idea, the other thing that you don't want is a twin tip. Under no circumstances get twin tips, most of my falls are caused by the tails hooking up.

It took me a season before I could ski everything on my teles, last year I still wasn't comfortable doing really light couloirs but now if I'd alpine it I'd tele it.

I'd say after a week of skiing everyday though I was starting to take shape, I didn't have an instructor sadly so I just learnt by watching, but I was beginning to engage the edges of the skis rather than just change direction.

It was a very humble experience learning again. On my third day I decided to ski Tortin, a reasonably steep bump run. I was stood at the top with brain telling legs to turn and legs telling brain to f**k off! I got down it in the end. I like to push my learning curve!

Before I started I watched all the 'tips' videos from TTips and read Alan and Mike's Really Cool Telemark Tips. After a couple of weeks of pratting around I re-read the book and it was amazing how much I could apply and really think about. When I'm skiing now the main thoughts going through my head are: 1) Big toe, little toe. Really get that weight spread evenly. 2) C-shape body. The more I engage the whole body the more I can engage the edges. And 3) Slide both legs. Alan and Mike have some great tips for this, make sure you're actively moving both legs through the turn, not just sliding one leg forward.

My hot tip is knee pads. I've only got them this winter and I realised that I wasn't getting low enough last year. You need your knee pads.

Back to skis: Go for something with a 90-100mm underfoot with around a 20-25m sidecut in a length you're comfortable with, no twins. I like a stiff ski, especially with some life in the tails.

My everyday ski is a Faction 13. 191cm 142mm 112mm 132mm and I love it. It surprisingly good in fair size / shape moguls.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Under no circumstances get twin tips, most of my falls are caused by the tails hooking up.

OH S**T yet another reason to add to the list of why i dont like my karmas .... Mad Cant put them on ski holders on the bubbles without agro, they kick up too much snow, and the radius is more than i like. I knew all of that when i bought them but they were cheap... now i find they dont work for tele. not good
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skimottaret wrote:
Quote:

Under no circumstances get twin tips, most of my falls are caused by the tails hooking up.

OH S**T yet another reason to add to the list of why i dont like my karmas .... Mad Cant put them on ski holders on the bubbles without agro, they kick up too much snow, and the radius is more than i like. I knew all of that when i bought them but they were cheap... now i find they dont work for tele. not good

Don't get too hung up on it there are plenty of good tele'rs skiing twin tips (not me on either count yet) - I can see parlor's point though as I can cros my tails quite easily.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimottaret, what fatbob says. If you haven't skied them don't stress about it. In fact it gives you a VERY good EXCUSE for falling over lots Wink

The Karma is a really good ski. If you're really hung up about the twin tip then take a saw to it. Seriously. I am really considering doing this to my skis...

Edit to say: It was advice about buying a new ski. Also it is very unlikely in the next few years that I will be able to get my hands on a good ski without a twin so I will continue to buy and ski twin tip skis...

That's IT, I have the answer.

Philipstanton Dude, you need a pair of K2 Coombas! Perfect tele ski. 102mm underfoot, light as anything, no twin and plenty of sidecut with a very progressive flex pattern. Job done.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
G3 Rpaid Transits.... my friend fairly bombs around on them...
snow report
Thanks for the various views guys.

parlor - Tortin on day 3. You are either a god or an idiot... wink
snow report
richard P raves over his head supershapes...

parlor, fatbob, i can see a lot of falling over in my future...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy