Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Good goggle are one of the most essential purchases!

Poster: A snowHead
There is plenty of talk on this site about boots and skis but I want to discuss the merits of good eye wear.

Recently I skiied in changing conditions in Klosters and becuase of my great Uvex goggles I could see everything reasonably clearly when oters were punching blind in the snow blizzard.

For many years i have struggled with cheap goggles and now that I finally have bought the more expensive type suitable for the correct conditions I will never go back!

Yes they are ugly but damn they worked when others were fumbling!

ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
plectrum, uvex goggles rock... good choice...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
plectrum, Just close your eyes and use the Force. Toofy Grin

Absolutely right though, Goggles not to be skimped on.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I am after some poor light goggles, we struggled a lot on a couple of days last year in flat light at Sunshine. Do I just need a yellow lens for these conditions ?

Anyone got a link to a mail decent mail order pair
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stevev, Yellow or Persimmon is the best for flat light, however there are some trick irridium ones that work well too.
Problem with buying mail order is you can't try them on, and being comfortable in them is essential, unless of course you've previously tried them on. Worth seeing if your Goggles work with your Helmet too, if you wear one.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I don't know what it is but I just can't get on with goggles at all. Whilst skiing in a whiteout in Jan this year I kept changing from my goggles to my glasses and back again, not really comfortable with either. With goggles I finf the field of view is too restrictive and with glasses they obviously steam up and get wet in those conditions. In the end the light was so bad I resorted to skiing without. Not whats recommended I'm sure but at least I could see where all those accumulations of powder that kept tripping me up were!
Am I alone in this or has anyone got any useful advice?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
freezywater, I think it's probably down to the Goggles. There are plenty that offer a very wide field of vision. Adidas Yodai for instance. Skiing without any eye protection is risking serious eye damage.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
freezywater, got the Yodais and second what Spyderman says: peripheral vision is superb. LST trail lenses are the nuts unless it's really bright (as in nuclear detonation-type bright)
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
freezywater, best not to keep changing them around. And, of course, absolutely nothing enables you to see much at all in really poor conditions. You're not going to be "really comfortable" in a whiteout. (People sometimes talk about "whiteout" when it really is nothing of the sort; in a genuine whiteout, you can't see. Period. ) I'll be interested to see what the consensus is on the best colour lens for poor visibility conditions as I need some new ones; my old ones are so old the foam is rotting and leaving gunge on my helmet. They were Scott, yellow/brown sort of lens, quite good in most conditions. I've got some new "bright light" ones which are Bollé, not expensive (39 euros) and brown (citrus gun, I think the name was) but they're not for poor light, which is when goggles become really important.

I have invested in some vision correcting inserts, with my distance prescription in - they're great, and will fit most goggles. Far better than trying to wear goggles over glasses, and I can't do contact lenses.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Oh - another thing - I tried on about a dozen pairs before I found one which was comfortable on my face AND fitted well with my helmet. I wouldn't take the risk of buying without trying on. I was surprised that so many goggles which looked fine on the stand felt so wrong on my face.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Spyderman, the only damage to my eyes on this occasion was from the snow flakes!! At any other time I ALWAYS have some form of eye protection. I'll have a look at the Yodais.

pam w, I think this was a whiteout, my wife was at the bottom of the mountain and said it looked like a fog/cloud had rolled across the mountain rather than just snowing. We were skiing as part of a group and I could only see the person immediately in front of me, no correlation between the piste and the sky!! Very confusing and 1 of our group even started skiing up hill in the confusion!!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I found a yellow/bronzey kind of coloured pair worked best for me last year in Arc 2000 when it was snowing and clouded over. My orange ones were no use in those conditions.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Very confusing and 1 of our group even started skiing up hill in the confusion!!

yes, it gets impossible to tell which way is up and down, and whether you are moving or stationary; no reference points. In a recent Snowheads discussion about these sorts of conditions several very experienced skiers said they felt very seasick in a whiteout. Sometimes you cannot see anyone more than a couple of feet away from you, or not even see your skis. In those conditions I defy ANY goggles to be much use. You might as well ski with your eyes closed (which is a very good exercise, actually, on a nice day.....but difficult not to cheat).
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Do I take it that people usually take with them several pairs of goggles for varying light conditions? How many pairs and do you carry them all, every day to change when the light alters?

I have bought my 1st pair, just one pair at that. They were NOT expensive ones (Big Air from the discount chainSkiWear4Less) and I was told they'd be good for "most" conditions. They're a bronzy sort of colour lens with mirroring on the outside. They are a double lens, with vents to prevent misting.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Butterfly, they'll do fine. As I said above, nothing can make you see if it's really a whiteout. In horrible weather, if I were you, I'd head for the nearest bar and sit by the fire. Skiing in poor visibility is extremely confidence-sapping, even for experienced skiers. It's a case of choosing the right eye-wear for the day. Some people have exchangeable lenses, but not many. Most have one general purpose pair of goggles, and get on with it. I've only ever had one in the past, and am only thinking about a second pair now because I am skiing for 2 - 3 months a year (lucky me....)
latest report
pam w, thanks.
snow report
I usually ski with a pair of sun glasses, but I do carry a pair of Oakley goggles with "clear lens" for flat light situation.
snow report
freezywater, I didn't have to take my goggles off once in any low vis, snowing conditions. The quality of sight was exceptional and alongside my leather Level gloves whose fingers acted as a chamois leather drying the outside of the lens in a swipe!

Butterfly, The word discount and goggles worries me! I have purchased cheap goggles over many seasons and they always were problematic interms of misting and clarity. Now that i have had a good pair I will never skimp on this item again. In some really bad conditions I felt confident enough to ski down many different slopes and still enjoy myself. I hope you have found a bargain and they work well for you though!
latest report
Eye Jackets and A Frames make up my skiing combo.
I did used to wear Pro M Frames. 90's look skiing. Fantastic.

I use the eye jackets as it's hard to find a glasses which fits between noggin and brain bucket.
snow conditions
I can not get on with goggles, think it is because when I lift them from my face onto my hat they steam up, people who wear helmets I presume will not have this problem. The goggle's I last used were not cheapo's, Oakleys I think they were over £100, they have since been passed onto my son who gets on with them great.

Last year I bought some 'climacool elevation' Sunglasses/hybrid goggles, these have interchangeable lenses and fittings for different conditions. I have used these on 3 trips now in all lighting conditions and would recommend to any recreational skier, again not cheap about £130 and can really only be used for skiing ( you would look like a t0sser if you wore them on the beach ). Probably not suitable for serious off piste stuff though, but that does not bother me.
ski holidays
Butterfly wrote:
Do I take it that people usually take with them several pairs of goggles for varying light conditions?

Some goggles and glasses have interchangeable lenses. My goggles do (POC Iris & Dragon somethingorother) as well as my glasses (Oakley Half Jackets). For the goggles I'll select the lens colour in the morning and stick with it, but I normally carry an alternate lens for my sunglasses when I wear those.
snow report
rob@rar, omg, does this mean you wear sunglasses with your helmet sometimes? I understood this to be a terrible faux pas. Shocked (I do it all the time, wink , only ever wear goggles in whiteouts - and not always then - or when it's snowing. I hate the restriction of goggles and my Oakley Fives seem to cover a multitude of conditions very well.)
ski holidays
Hurtle, yup, sometimes I wear the article that dare not speak its name, sometimes I don't. So sue me Wink

One of the reasons I prefer not to wear a helmet is the loss of peripheral vision.

Edit: oops, misread Hurtle's comment: goggles-only when wearing my helmet; glasses and helmet isn't comfortable.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 10-02-08 16:01; edited 1 time in total
latest report
what lens colours are best for what conditions? I have a pair with pinkish lenses but I want ones that are good for showing up the bumps in flat light - that's my biggest concern when skiing. so what colour is best for that - am I good with my pink pair? (bought last year but was lucky to have sunshine every day so not tested them in flat light) Am I right to presume that different colours perform different functions?
snow report
Kel, Putting goggles onto a steaming hat would cause that fogging up! Smile Sorry I'm attached to my helmet and wouldn't go anywhere without it especially as it keeps my noggin snug!

rob@rar, Does one really need peripheral vision when skiing, I would have thought it is a pretty narrow band that needs to be concentrated on?
snow report
sallywt, The best for really gloomy conditions are those similar to the picture I posted above but your light pink ones should be fairly good for gloomy conditions possibly with a bit of sun poking through. The gold/multi coloured fulltint glasses are for high sun conditions.
snow conditions
plectrum wrote:
rob@rar, Does one really need peripheral vision when skiing, I would have thought it is a pretty narrow band that needs to be concentrated on?

I think it's important. I like to know what other slope users are doing, where people are that I'm skiing with, what's happening with a class I might be teaching, etc.
snow report
Is it best/cheaper to buy goggles in the UK, or in resort please? (I'm off to France shortly)

My current goggles are foggy most of the time. Sad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
plectrum,

Plectrum, I am also very fond of my helmet and like you, I don't go anywhere without it Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz
snow conditions
Once the goggles are on, you shouldn't be looking to remove them at all until you get to the restraurant.... If you take them off then put them away in the wiper bag untilt he next time....

I never once had a problem with my googles and I wore them almost continuosly for 2 weeks over a hat
snow report
Glasses and Helmet a NO NO says who? Gorby Gap a NO NO...
latest report
mdemon2, I'd grab a pair in resort the slection is generally very good and you will have agood idea of local conditions.

JT, That reminds me ... Do not touch the inside lens with anything greasy such as fingers and minimise how often you clean the inside lens as it is coated with anti fog stuff!

As JT, said don't up and down the goggles too much, if you stocp and you are hot just gently pull the goggles away from the face to allow a bit a cold air to breeze through replace and ski on. I really really really advise some leather gloves as they turn into chamois when wet and excellently dry wet lens without having to remove goggles.
latest report
i ski in a pair of oakley A frames or when i find it to warm on my face a pair of oakley wiretrap sunglasses

both sem to have the right lens colours in for me
snow report
plectrum,

I never touch the lenses with anything but the wiper bag... and it does help to keep the little demister film on the lense as long as poss.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy