Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Thinking of throwing myself down this -

Poster: A snowHead
Has anybody skiied this

Austria's steepest ski slope in Mayrhofen, an average incline of unbelievable 78 per cent(!)

The Harakiri Skullie

Is it all hype, or am I relly in for a challange !!!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It looks allright from the angle the photo is taken from and it's very, very short, most of it looks as flat as a pancake apart from the one small bit - can't see it's a big deal myself, anyone skied it?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Odin wrote:
an average incline of unbelievable 78 per cent(!)

Shocked Shocked that's steep for an Ice Climb...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Photo's of people giving it a go are here

http://www.mayrhofner-bergbahnen.com/en/100304/100494/harakiri_shooting_fotoshooting_steilste_piste.html
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well it's gonna focus your mind isn't it. All those other worries you went on holiday with, will pale in to insignificance. snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Odin, Do it, then tell us how it was. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Is it a blue?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just looked at the link to those pics - are you INSANE Puzzled Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Odin, Just tuck at the top and go for it, stop being such a big girls blouse Skullie Skullie
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Odin, don't bother with the piste. Look at the lovely stuff on the right hand side! Cool Cool
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm wondering what the incline of the steepest portion of the Face de Bellevarde is in Val d'Isere and how it compares to this, the steepest pitch for the FIS downhill is around 63% but I don't think they do the steepest bit, or am I mistaken?

Is there a site somewhere that compares inclines?

Just trying to compare really 'coz the photos may flatten out the pitch somewhat but even those piccies of people doing the run above don't make it look that extreme... just don't leave a pole at the top then fall as I've seen some people doing on steep pitches! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If they can get a machine up it, it isn't that steep..you'll be fine..you can't go that far if you fall anyway.. and if you fall, then serves you right
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Skid this a few times and the incline is the least of your worries Toofy Grin The snow never holds and is all snow cannon snow so if you dont get it early it is like a sheet of ice. The photo does it NO justice. Its not to bad to ski if you know what you are doing and it is short considering the speed you pick up

Last year I hit a block of ice in the fall line and couldnt get an edge went past my dad at 90 mph his words not mine rolling eyes and ended up in that very soft snow on the right of the slope Embarassed I walked away without a scratch no idea how to be honest! Thank god for helmet and body armour!

Its a nice easy run in and you suddenly hit a lip and the world dissapears below you all you can see is the bottom snowHead Best feeling Ever! Do it just be warned if you get it wrong your skis wont stop till they get to the bottom and if you are going quick enough neither will you Laughing See you at the top march 15th
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Odin wrote:
Austria's steepest ski slope in Mayrhofen, an average incline of unbelievable 78 per cent(!)

Thats 38 degrees (if my maths is right) Which doesn't sound too bad now does it Toofy Grin Still very steep as an average but do-able Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ordhan, You are not selling it well Shocked Shocked
snow report
Get down it. Or as chris says, get off it and get down the nice stuff to the side Smile
snow conditions
Odin, Looks OK, after all the get a piste basher up and down it. Pretty much depends on snow conditions and your ability. Looks like about 7 - 8 Turns to me. Toofy Grin

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 8-02-08 20:26; edited 1 time in total
snow report
NOoooo - keep on it and leave the nice stuff for me wink
snow report
For those comforting themselves with the idea that they run pistebashers up and down it - don't they use cable-towed pistey-beasties for really steep slopes Toofy Grin
latest report
Hoppo, Only said that because of the curves in the piste, but you're right, really steep stuff is done by winch.
snow report
Did the tunnel run (once) in ADH last week, similar incline but not bashed it has huuuuge moguls on it. Makes this look tame, stop being a whimp. launch yourself off the top and throw in a few turns if you have to Razz Razz
latest report
I did it once, on a board first thing in the morning after a massive dump. It was insane. Later on when the snow was packed down I looked across at if from somewhere else - bodies everywhere. Quit while I was ahead and never re-visited.
ski holidays
Quote:

I did it once, on a board first thing in the morning after a massive dump

I'd have a massive dump just thinking about it Laughing
snow report
Odin wrote:
Photo's of people giving it a go are here

http://www.mayrhofner-bergbahnen.com/en/100304/100494/harakiri_shooting_fotoshooting_steilste_piste.html
Mind you, if you look at pylons and trees in the background on many of those they had tilted the camera quite a lot to make it look worse (or should that be better).
Isn't it supposed to be the steepest piste in Europe or something? I doubt very much, though, that it is an average steepness of the whole run - more the average of the steep part. 38º is very steep for a piste even so.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 8-02-08 23:16; edited 4 times in total
snow conditions
boyo, oh i say... Going green
ski holidays
Thought I'd straighten it up:
(click)

Nobody after the tip-over point I notice - they all slid straight off.
snow report
Quote:

For those comforting themselves with the idea that they run pistebashers up and down it - don't they use cable-towed pistey-beasties for really steep slopes

Website says - 'making a jack and special groomers indispensable for grooming' so I am guessing not a piste basher.

That's why I asked if anyone had any experience of skiing - did the one at Levi that was meant to be 'oh so steep' but it wasn't at all bad, (tho saw a couple fall on it and not stop 'till the bottom.)

I am lead to beleive that most of the snow is manufactured and that it is more or less all ice (like a prepared race course). May be one to do with well prepared edges.
latest report
I stayed there a few years ago...its not 78 degrees, I think its 78 percent, which is about 37ish degrees I think. Is pretty steep though, and very intimidating, nice run, to the point you are thinking 'why is this a black', then you go over the edge.... Even instructors in Mayrhofen aren't allowed to ski it in instructor clothing. I'm probably a slightly above average intermediate skiier and found it difficult in normal conditions (v. early morning), If it were icy, I think it would be impossible! BTW, I think it gets icy v early in the day, slope doesn't hold snow very well.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In this thread I posted after a visit to Zillertal Valley there is a short section I wrote on it.

It is 78% meaning the vertical is 0.78 unit and the horizontal is 1 unit. This is about 37.95 degree. (arctangent of 0.7Cool.

It is groomed. I saw a photo showing it needed a steel cable to tow it up or descend the slope. Thus that is possibly the limit of a "grromed" black run.

In the above link I estimated about 15% of the skiers/boarders who tried it and fell. I never saw so many skiers/boarders fell on one slope like Harakiri. None of them got injury. The wife fell too at the middle or the steepest section. I cannot remember she has ever fallen in any of the black slope we did before She didn't fall on any of the black before and after Harakiri in the two weeks we skied Zillertal and Silvretta. I just managed it. So be prepared. It is No. 18 in the piste map.

There are sections of some black slopes steeper than it but not as long. When other black slopes are longer they are'nt as steep as Harakiri.

I am 59 and the wife is slightly younger so it cannot be that tough for the young ones. Just try other Austrian blacks first before Harakiri to size up your confidence. The No, 17 on the same resort is called the "Devil's run". It is the next steepest. No. 4 and No. 16a are black runs too but they are significantly easier. Couldn't tell the last black run No. 12 as I didn't ski it. Comparing Harakiri with the black runs I tried in the rest of Zillertal I would say Harakiri does have substance.

The photograph does not show its steepness. The top section is also more like a blue slope standard. However when you pass the one-third point the remaining 70% approximately is the real thing. There is a short mild section at the bottom of the slope to check the moisture of the pants.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sat 9-02-08 0:03; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
saw a skier do the whole thing in a perfect tuck down the fall line. he picked up a LOT of speed.
that said the snow was pretty good, i did it on a board without any particular trouble.
if it was icy/bare it would be a pretty serious undertaking.

in any case you can go up the chair and check it out. if you decide you dont fancy it there are other routes down.
latest report
just make sure you do it whenm the snow is good and you'll be fine...just dont think about the steepness, it'll soon be over - and you'll take the chair back up and do it again! ( I didn't but I prefer relaxed skiing!)
latest report
Odin, did it about 8 weeks ago when it was in what I'd guess is good conditions ie a bit icy, nothing very special, there's a steep bit but the whole run is very short and there's a safe run out, whole thing over in seconds. I'd guess it's always a bit icy and could imagine it being a bit trickier if large tracts were sheet ice but most runs would be.
snow conditions
All in all I have done it about 12 times and have had one massive wipe out see above But by the time we got back to the top the piste was closed and stayed that way for the rest of thee week.

Did it last year with full race turns from top to bottom dont think I was in the full tuck before I got to the end Very Happy that was a day before it bacame the worlds steepest Ice rink

THe piste basher is tied to a post at the top of the slope when they groom up and down There is a great video below that will give you an idea

http://www.mayrhofner-bergbahnen.com/en/100196/100481/harakiri_spot_mayrhofen_steilste_piste_osterreichs.html?S=
snow conditions
JT wrote:
If they can get a machine up it, it isn't that steep..you'll be fine..you can't go that far if you fall anyway.. and if you fall, then serves you right

The pites bashers use winches to get up and down that slope.

It is very steep, but only for a short stretch (almost all the steep bit is visble in that photo), and there is nothing much you will hit (apart from other skiers) if you fall.

I didn't ski it on the one day I spent ijn Mayrhofen in January, but I did go up the chair that photo was taken from 3 or 4 times. If I had gone back at the end of th week, and hadn't hurt my leg, then I might well have given it a go.
snow report
Here, this one makes it look easy. wink

How much would you just love to straightline that. snowHead
latest report
We spent our first 5 days warming up in other runs/areas and attempted the Harakiri on the last day.

It is prudent to build up the confidence first if you haven't skied it before. By the time you see the steepest section it would be too late to return back and it is quite a long way down.

There are always skiers who can charging it down at speed but the majority seems to be willing to give it the due respect.
ski holidays
Ride it switch or it doesn't count.
ski holidays
Spikyhedgehog wrote:
How much would you just love to straightline that. snowHead

Straightlining a 38º slope would certainly get the adrenaline flowing!
ski holidays
I have skied it a few times - not a problem really. Laughing
snow report
I suppose at the bottom of the slope if we interview someone who does extreme skiing his reply could be "No problem".

Equally if the interview were conducted at a hospital bedside to someone who probably did his/her first black run with Harakiri the reply could be "People said - no problem and I had a good quality helmet too".

So can we have some advice from SH who work as skiing instructors on how this run should be viewed?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy