Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix lift passes

Poster: A snowHead
In a couple weeks me and 3 others will be in Chamonix. We plan on riding for 2 days in a row.
Our Hotel du Bois emailed me and said they would get lift tickets ready for us. They gave us three options.
3 skipasses possible :
2 DAYS........
- Les houches ski resort 56e
- Chamonix ski resort 70e
- Unlimated ski pass 96e (includes Chamonix + Les Houches and also Aiguille du Midi + Courmayeur in Italy)

we are 3 intermediate snowboarders and 1 skier.
Anybody have any suggestions on what ticket we will need to have a good time for 2 days?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
For two days you should just get middle one and forget about Les Hoches which is just owned by a different owner.

The real Chamonix resorts of Grans Montets and Brevent/La Flegere are more exciting than the little Les Houches. Even if you just ski Le Tour/Valorcine, the third biggest, it is still better than go to Les Houches in the two days.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Anybody else have an opinion? I dont want to waste 25e getting the big one if we dont need it... ?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I agree with saikee, although are you intending to ski the Midi?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I hadnt heard of the Midi until doing a little research just now. It looks like the Midi would be almost an all day affair. Should we? If we intend to ski the Midi, what changes about your recommendation?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
dandurcd, Then you'll need the Unlimited pass that includes the Midi Lift. God it's damn expensive.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SMALLZOOKEEPER,

Sound like you are talking them into doing the Vallee Blanche. May be hiring a local guide too?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think that probably talks me out of unlimited then. With only two days and intermediate boarders, we will probably take the middle pass. From what i've read, VB is intense and not something to take lightly.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
dandurcd, hmmm, if it's the "Hotel du bois" that comes up first on Google, you won't be in Chamonix, you'll be in Les Houches (Les Hs).

Which is not necessarily a bad thing.

How adventurous are you? If "not very" you'll find (I think) quite enough in Les Hs to keep you occupied. And better on slope restaurants. So just get the Les Hs pass. We like Les Hs. A lot. (P.S. we are both tolerably competent and ski quite a bit).

The problem with the Chamonix "Le Pass" is that it won't cover your "local" area. So you'll be a 20 minute bus ride from the nearest skiing (Brevent-Flegere) and 30-35 minutes from the Grands Montets.

Getting the MBU pass for 2 days seems like overkill. You would, if you want to ski near where you are, be better buying a Les Houches day pass then a day pass for wherever you want to ski the other day. At least, I think this is the case as I haven't checked the rates.

The VB in good conditions isn't particularly difficult and very pretty. It's only not to be taken lightly as it is glaciated terrain and you really don't want to fall into one...the skiing itself is not necessarily that difficult. IMO.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I agree with David Murdoch. If you are staying in or close to Les Houches then it is a relatively long bus ride to get to the main Chamonix area.

Les Houches will be good for 2 to 3 days for intermediates.

I quite like it myself as it is relaxing there but it is just not what Chamonix is all about. In any case buying a two-day ski pass will not save much over two one-day passes.

May be your best strategy is to ski the first day in Les Houches and decide if you want to go to Brevent/Flegere or Gran Montets the next day.. You will find them interesting only if you find the entire Run No. 1, a black piste, in Les Houches boring. If you find Les Houches black run kind of challenging then Le Tour-Vallorcine at the far end of the valley is the one you should aim at.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
David Murdoch, yes we are actually staying in Les Houches. A quick google map figured that out for me. I guess we really are a short distance from Chx anyway.
We have a car rented so getting around should be easy.
saikee, i think we will probably end up doing LH the first day and then get the CHX pass for the second day.
As far as going out at night... LH might be a bit boring? Does a bus/tram run between the LH an CHX all night?
This info is helping out a ton, as the group of four of us are spread across the US right now and will only be meeting at the airport in paris.[/b]
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
dandurcd,

Never used the public transport in the 8 years (only in holiday time) there. The true locals may have a better idea.

There are bus services but probably not after a late night drinking session. Taxi should be reasonable especially there are 4 of you.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 12-02-08 19:24; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
dandurcd, LH is quieter but you're only there for 2 days...

Recommendations from my limited experience.

"La Marmotte" across the road from the Prarion bubble has served me the very best steaks I've had in my life two times in a row (we've only been there twice) - I have had quite a few steaks. The fondue was excellent according to TOH. the owners/staff are very welcoming. And they serve draught Pelforth beer.

"Le Delice" has a great reputation and is very close to where you'll be.

Not sure about night life though as I haven't really been out and about at night. The PMU under the Kandahar building seems lively during the day, but PMUs tend to anyway!

On the hill the Prarion hotel does a nice enough self service. Even better is the Taniere near the bottom of the Plancerts red - lovely if a bit tricky to find. Also "Les Veuilles Luges".

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 12-02-08 20:46; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi

As above if your hiring a car I suggest you buy the middle pass, ski les houches in the morning then, flagere and brevant in the afternoon, and on your 2nd day grand montents will keep you occipied for a whole day. I prefer flagere and thinks its the best ski area in chamonix. The bus service is regular throughout the villages to cham town, the town is really pretty and a damm good night out, the free ski bus runs till about 8.30 and after that from the main bus station there are night buses for a few euros but if I remember rightly the last bus is midnight. i stayed in le praz which is a similar distance from cham as les houches, we walked home along the river. It's the main path so it's flood-lit and should take about 45 mins. Taxis are overpriced 30 euros plus for a 2km ride.

Kate
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kated, Welcome to Snow Heads!
snow conditions
dandurcd, just to be clear and not wanting be contradictory - sorry kated Happy

The "middle option" doesn't include the Les Houches lifts...dandurcd I personally think you'll have quite enough to occupy yourself in LHs for a day, no problem.

Les Houches is 8.5kms from central Cham so probably not a great walk at 02h00 and -5C. I don't think that kated was suggesting such - but just in case you thought it was an idea...

Taxis Buton (?) charged us about €25 at midnight.

Buses stop around 18h40 from Chamonix although there are services at 21.30 and 23.20 from Chamonix Place Mont Blanc to Les Houches. Timetables here http://www.chamonet.com/maps-and-timetables/chamonix-valley-maps-and-timetables.htm#noscroll
snow report
David Murdoch, said
Quote:

we are both tolerably competent and ski quite a bit
dandurcd, this is British understatement... wink

I would go with the option to do one whole day in Les Houches, spending lunch time eating rather than thrashing round the valley. Then decide where to go the next day...
ski holidays
As good as Les Houches may be, if you have never been to Cham before and you are only going to be there for two days, it would be an absolute crime not to spend one day at Flegere-Brevent and one day at Les Grandes Montets. If you come to Cham and don't ski those areas, you might as well stay at home. And since you have a car, there really is no reason not to.

I would also point out that in only two days of skiing, and with skiing as good as there is in Cham to be had, spending time concentrating on mountain restaurants is maybe not what dandurcd and his group want to be doing.

Note: the "middle pass" will not get you on the top cable car in Les Grandes Montets, but you can pay a €10 supplement each time you want to ride it. Looking at the prices, though, if you ride it twice you've more than paid for the "Unlimited".
latest report
pam w, shoudl I have said, "we ski quite a lot" ? wink
snow conditions
I've just done some reading on the VB and it seems intimidating but looks like something we really shouldnt pass up. Obviously we would be leaving our beginner behind. It would be 3 of us with the least experienced being myself (9 years on a board).

What would you think about doing Les Houches the first day (as suggested) and then shooting for the VB early in the morning on our second day? All three of us have ridden together for a week in at Copper Mountain so we feel comfortable with each other. I imagine we would want to get in on a group that has a guide.

For me, reading about the VB makes me feel like its something i would never forget in my entire life. If done correctly I understand it to be an extremely rewarding experience. Anyone have any suggestions or comments about this? I might just be looking for positive/negative reenforcement.
ski holidays
dandurcd, it's very worth doing but you need your own guide for the VB. AFAIK, there aren't bunches of folks milling around at the base of the Aiguille du Midi collecting willing participants. A guide is about €400 for the day, it may or may not take a day, my price may be wrong. The VB isn't difficult skiing (usually) but it is in glaciated terrain. If you don't know what you're doing around a glacier, you want someone with you who does.

It is well worth doing though!

I think LHs Day 1 then the VB day 2 works well. The Vallee takes a bit of time to get up (and down) to and so I find that it lends itself well to a relaxed late lunch. There are those who would suggest that there's little in my mind that doesn't lend itself to a relaxed late lunch so don't take my word for it.

As a first call for a (snowboard oriented) guide, try Lars at www.mountainpenguins.com
ski holidays
David Murdoch, Are you promoting the dirty Belgian who spent the afternoon drinking my 'Stella'

Top bloke for those wishing for a second endorsement. Oh yeah, and his feet are like 'Pingu's' wha wha.
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Stella? You mean you didn't get any Hoogarden in for him? Shocking. Do penguins feet smell that bad?
snow conditions
dandurcd, Skied LH today, it's in good nick but hard pack low down, so poor for a snowboard, VB will cost you €70 PP in a group with ESF plus lift ticket (you may get an all inclusive from LH) , it will be the highlight of your trip, do it.
My advice would be sort out your pass when you get there and know what you are doing, BTW there was no queue at LH today so no big advantage in booking in advance.

LH day pass is €30. VB pass is €47. Le Pass (chamonix excl VB and GM top ticket) €37.
snow report
Everyone, thanks a ton. I cant wait for this trip.

Ive sent out some emails looking into getting a guide for VB. I think we will do LH day 1 and VB day 2.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy