Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

mayrhofen or saalbach?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
hi all,

I was just seeking abit of advise me and 5 20-21 year old boarders are going away on the 15th of march and half of the group want saalbach and the other mayrhofen. I was just wondering if we could have some help on which would suit us better? nightlife snowboarding atmosphere etc. any information is welcome.. thanks all Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
all depends which factors are most important.

nightlife - saalbach better
cost - mayrhofen cheaper
skiing - i would priob say saalbach
boarding - no idea
atmosphere - saalbach
hot scandinavians - saalbach
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As much as I lOVE Mayrhoffen Going to be there on the 15th of March, Saalbach is a much better resort though, a few more Tbars than Mayrhofen but much more convinient in terms of Getting in and out to ski/board.

Should tell you Saalbach as that will be 5 less borders in Mayrhofen Toofy Grin Sorry couldnt resist

Apres there is nothing between the Goat stall (Saalbach) and the ice bar (Mayrhofen)

Night life Saalbach hands down here

Runs Saalbach much more challanging and varied / Mayrhofen good standard with a couple of great runs but not quite the variety as Saalbach. The off piste in Saalbach is great to and rarley gets badlyl tracked out.

Snow Will probably be better in Mayrhofen just a tiny bit Higher than Saalbach and you also have the saftey of the Glacier if the snow is bad in Saalbach you have no escape.

Hope this helps a little, Like I said we will be in Mayrhofen in March we go every year to finish the season. Love the place but Saalbach was there in Jan is just a bigger resort with more off piste.

As Our Graham would say "the decision is yours"
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you plump for Saalbach I would suggest staying in Hinterglemm for nightlife purposes
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It may not matter much but Saalbach is linked with Hinterglemm and Leogang. One can ski/board to anywhere in this 200km piste domain. If you have to remove the snowboard it would only be for getting into a gondola.

Mayrhofen, as I mentioned here has only 157km piste length and so it is smaller than Saalbach/Hinterglemm/Leogang. The size of the resort doesn't really matter if you have only 6 days to explore it but I believe any ski pass you buy in Mayrhofen has to be the SuperZillertal Skipass, if it is longer than 3.5 days, which entitles you to the 639km piste of the entire Zillertal Valley. Other unlinked areas accessible only by buses but there are two other areas, called Zillertal Arena located at Zell and Hochzillertal located at Kaltenbach of the similar size to Mayrhofen.

Mayrhofen is large enough for many skiers as it has Hoberberg, Penken, Finkenberg, Rastkogen and Eggalm areas. There is also the famous Harakiri the steepest groomed piste in Austria (Run No. 18 ) available to test your appetile.

Saalbach is quite famous for able to ski on one side and return on the other side of the valley. For many skiers it is a day's activity just to go round it.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Another vote for Saalbach from me, only because I think it will tick your boxes, I'm yet to visit Mayrhofen but the single lift up puts me off a little...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ski-finder,

The single lift I experienced was in Ramsau. It is outside Mayrhofen area and belongs to a tiny resort called Gerlosstein.

Mayrhofen is pretty modern as far as the lift facilities aare concerned. The Ahorn cable car, serving Ahorn which is also a small but expending unlinked area inside Mayrhofen, can carry 160 people is claimed to be the world largest.

Mayrhofen itself on its own has Horberg, Penken, Finkenberg, Rastkogen and Eggalm each has its own Gondola station to a commonly linked area. Only Penkenbahn is inside Marhofen. With the exception of Ahorn all the other gondola stations require ski bues for access.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Saalbach is great. brilliant lift system, never q for more than a couple of minutes, nite life is outstanding, just look carefully at how close your accommodation is to town. Don't get stuck on the bus route. Pistes are brilliant and well cared for, often good snow as well. Not a huge amount of off piste which is easy to get at though. bars and restaurants excellent.

Shaggy - let me know if you go to Saalbach I will be there at the same time! could meet up for drink during day as I am staying in Ellmau Alm halfway up mountain. All best, Tom
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
saikee, I meant the Penkenbahn taking you up to the Penken side of the valley. The idea of a cable car back to the resort doesn't appeal as much as skiing back that's all... does it get really busy morning then afternoon?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ski-finder,

Only use it once. Mid Jan no problem at all. I have been warned it could get very busy though and so we drove to Finkenberg and Rastkogel just to avoid the crowd as it was easier for us to explore the extremities of the Mayrhofen area.

I think skiers who want to ski back to chairlift/gondola station must be prepared for bad to very bad condition, especially in Mayrhofen because the valley is very wide and relatively densely populated. That means there is a lot of heat and most days we were there the bottom 1000m was always foggy and has little snow but above that level it was clear sky and white. For this reason every one of the 7 resorts we visited all have a gondola to pass the first 1000m height. The runs down to the valley floor weren't always skiable. I did managed to come down from Ahorn, Rastkogen and Hochzillertal. The condition in the last one was so tough that the wife decided to give up at the bottom section. I had to drop her near a mountain road, skied to the bottom, get the car and spend 15 minutes to find my way back to pick her up.

Saalbach valley is much narrower and the snow can stay longer. The last time we skied there in Christmas time all runs were open to the valley floor and had good snow covers.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thanks for all the advise we all decided we are going saalbach i cant wait!! if possible could someone tell me about hotel central or hotel panther as we will be propbably staying at one of these hotels, also best website to book from, believe me ive spent hours looking!! and finally i know there is one bar in saalbach that has zipfer on tap is there anymore? tom.b i will certainly be in touch and you can have a drink with the donny lads!! i really cant wait now i havent heard anything bad about saalbach
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Good choice, I went there with uni friends for 3 trips, was brilliant. Not sure I've heard of either of those hotels, are you saying in Saalbach or Hinterglemm? There are a few places you should try and go to - one is the goat bar (hilarious), the other is a mountain resaurant which you are taken to on the back of a piste basher, and the third is a very tiny tiny bar in Saalbach, only because it is the smallest bar in the world ever, it is made even more hilarious as the walls are covered with pictures of naked people.
I loved the resort not only for the nightlife, but also you can ski the whole valley in a day without having to use the same lift twice.
There is also an ongoing challenge with a number of people I have been there with, to try and get an 'el burger' hat from one of the staff in 'el burger', hinterglemm, it's impossible!
Don't drink too much Flugel
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Shaggy,

We stayed at the panther this year brilliant great location. Stevie the barman is brilliant and a joy to talk to & in the resteraunt Pilo is a star aswell the facilities are good pool, sauna & steam room are all really nice and well kept. Breakfast was great and dinner was good but the chef had a few mad dishes on a few of the nights. Its a short walk to Bobbys bar and about €3 a head back form the goat stall bar

The Bernkogelabfahrt lift is a 5 second walk across the road from the front door and the and the nordhfart life is just behind the hotel. You can ski right back to the back and down a few steps to the hotel or back to the bottom of the bernkogelabfahrt and back across the road . Enjoy

There is a weird panther statue in the lobby that looks better placed in an s&m den or so I hear Very Happy

http://www.saalbach.com/
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy