Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Revelstoke Resort - any good?

Poster: A snowHead
Me and a friend are doing a road trip from Calgary into South East BC in a few weeks, hoping to hit Fernie / Panorama / Kicking Horse / Banff etc

I know that the old Powder Springs hill in Revelstoke has been re-developed and wondered whether anyone has any experience of it? It's their first season open so I fancy taking a look, but don't want to waste a (precious) day if it isn't up to much.

If anyone has been or heard anything I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Some info on Epic Ski:

http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=65659&highlight=revelstoke

http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=65465&highlight=revelstoke

I'm considering a visit there in combo with a few days at Kicking Horse. Not sure if I should go next year or wait until 2010 or later when there might be more lifts (also at KH).

Very jealous of your road trip. Not long back from Fernie myself and it was amazing soooo much snow. How much time are you planning for the trip? It is a Very Long way from Fernie to Revelstoke (as I'm sure you're aware).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks hd - sounds like a few people have been from that forum, that guy's pics look awesome!.

Going for a week - we're loosely planning 2 days in Fernie, a day at Panorama, a day at KH (or straight to KH & ignore Panorama if it is snowing!) then maybe a day or two at Revelstoke (inc cat-skiing), before heading over to Banff for a morning at Norquay before heading home. That way no drive should be any longer than 3/4 hrs......hopefully.

Obviously that will all change dependent on if it has snowed anywhere!! Did a season in Banff a while ago and have been to Fernie / Golden / kelowna a couple of times so kind of know the area a little.

Good idea to do Revelstoke and KH in one trip in the future I reckon - the only thing I found with KH is that it is left wanting a little bit if it hasn't snowed in a while, so Revelstoke could well be a good alternative.

Will let you know how we get on - pray for snow!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Fernie to panorama is around 2.5 to 3 hours - Fernie to KH will be more like 4 to 5. Taynton Bowl at the back of Panorama had great snow even when the rest of the mountain was patchy, but it was a hike to get in.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There's a short trip report to Revelstoke in the latest (Feb) issue of Fall-Line magazine. Not a great deal of info in there but it's worth a read. The author Jason Shutt (UK pro freerider) reckons it "has the potential to grow into one of the best freeride destinations in the world..."

If you get to ski there on your road trip then make sure you post a report here when you get back pecky1974, I'd be very interested what you thought of the place.

And yeah, jealous as hell!.... snowHead Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pecky1974, I agree with nbt, Panorama is definitely worth a day or two if the snow is good (which often it isn't unfortunately, AFAIK). Taynton Bowl is a superb area, equal/better than anything Fernie has to offer. The hike is not at all difficult (much easier than some of the Fernie traverses Wink) and really makes you feel like you are entering proper backcountry terrain.

The other big Panorama plus point is that it was literally deserted midweek when we visited last year. Even on the new-snow days.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've only ever skied Whistler on forays to Canada. But thought you might like to see what the Where to Ski & Snowboard guide said his time round, it ceratinly seems mouth watering:

"The big news this winter is the opening of a new resort, Revelstoke. Like Kicking Horse, it is a development of a small existing hill in heli-skiing territory, in this case Powder Springs.

This places seems set for stardom: the avergae snowfall is [an] amazing - 500 to 700 inches - and when the main gondola is completed. the vertical will be 1830m/6,000ft - a new record for North America. The master plan provides for over 20 lifts over 15,000acres [c.f. Whistler @ 8,151 acres] - approaching Alpine mega resorts in scale - plus 5,000 acres of cat skiing, plus heli skiing direct from the resort centre.

Two main lifts will be open for 2007/08, and that huge vertical should be open the following year - along [with] and extended runway at Kelowna (200km/125miles away) capable of taking transatlantic jets. We can't wait." [Neither can I!!!)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you have any money buy something there now as it is going to be huge.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The extended runway at Kelowna has been in planning for twenty years now. When we visited fernie / Panorama / KH in 2004 we were assured byt the sales staf in all the etsate agencies that the runway would be operational at the end of the following season....
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Forget the others and just do Kicking Horse and Revelstoke.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cheers all.

hd / nbt - I've ridden Panorama before (albeit only late in the season when it was a bit patchy & heavy) so will definitely give Taynton a go, cheers for the heads-up. Having said that, I've ridden KH a few times when it's just dumped and IMHO it's pretty unbeatable so would favour there if it's snowing!

nbt - I've also heard many times that the airport is "close" - apparently the contested land is first-nation land and i've been told (by non-marketing types) that it could be years off!

anyhow - have decided to give Revelstoke a couple of days and miss out Banff, so will post report when back.

talking of real estate investments - apparently in 2003 (the year they started building), land lots near the hill were struggling to fetch $30k - now they're selling like hot cakes at $250,000! Coulda / woulda / shoulda....... rolling eyes

still on investing - from a purely skiing perspective, wouldn't a place in Golden be a better bet? You could hit more areas easier - KH on doorstep, 1.5 hrs to Revelstoke, 2 hrs to Banff, OK transfer from Calgary? I don't have the cash (!) but would be interested to hear what anyone thinks.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pecky1974, I'm doing something similar in a few weeks but based in Fernie. PhotoTim's thinking of organising a road trip... snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sharkymark - when are you there? we go Sat March 01st (from Manchester) for a week.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pecky1974, 1st March for 2 weeks (from Gatwick). I think you'll probably be on the same flight as me
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sharkymark - give me a pm nearer the time if you want.

We are definitely doing Fernie for a couple of days first (unless it is puking down somewhere else apart from Fernie) so if you're staying there we could meet up if you fancy some turns Very Happy
latest report
skilegs wrote:

Prices are already huge - condos selling for $600 per square foot!
snow report
Sharkymark, we might be in Fernie at the same time I think? 8th March for a week (my birthday bash Very Happy ) . no chance of keeping up with you on the slopes, but maybe a drink?
snow conditions
skilegs wrote:

Too late for the first phase at least. Prices have already gone through the roof. There might be a second chance if there is large scale development with a period of over-supply. But no sign of that yet. If you bought there now, you'd have to sit on it for a very long time before seeing a decent return. You could be competing against new builds for years. We looked at the prices last year and it was a non-starter.
latest report
Levitt wrote:

Prices are already huge - condos selling for $600 per square foot!

Crazy isn't it? We paid $335 per sqr ft over in Big White.
snow report
But Revelstoke is at least twice as good Wink
snow report
You'd think so with their current marketing campaign!
You may as well buy in Whistler if you're happy to pay those prices.
snow conditions
holidayloverxx, yep I'll be over there until the 15th.

pecky1974, sounds like a plan to me snowHead
snow conditions
Sharkymark, Yay - I'll PM nearer the time.
ski holidays
In answer to the title YES !! spent a day there from Banff via Kicking Horse and enjoyed it even more than Kicking Horse.

If anyone is planning to go to Revelstoke and stay over next year is when to do it or wait a while, new lifts and new terrain being opened up next year and accomodation being built, the year after they wont have the bed capacity for the number of visitors Shocked This years expected visitor number was 52 000approx, they exceeded that in Feb of this year and are already topping 70 000.

We had 10 inches fresh snow and snowing all day when we were there, and around 200 Shocked people on the slopes Toofy Grin
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy