Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

WARNING: Solden / Soelden HOTEL DOMINIC

Poster: A snowHead
Just back from a good wekend in Solden, however somewhat marred by two thefts from the Hotel Dominic.

A friend had a blackberry stolen from his room.

I lost €200 - it wasn't until he told me about his blackberry that I put two and two together, and possibly, probably, got four. I know I didn't spend it ; it's exceptionally unlikely it jumped out of my wallet. Our rooms were cleaned while we were at breakfast - my wallet was left in the room during this short time.

This was reported to the hotel who didn't seem to care too much. They said theire chamber maids were loyal who had been with them for years, yet some of them were barely out of college !! Was subsequently reported to the police and insurance claims are in progress.

Despite that, the hotel was lovely. Clean, good food, good wellness area and great location.

But if you want my advice, stay away. There are plenty of other hotels, do guarantee that they will not recruit dodgy characters, but maybe their managemnet might be more prepared to do something about it.

!!! STAY AWAY !!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
masmith, both rooms were locked right - and keys not left hanging on some hook in reception for anyone to help themselves?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Blackberry left out for all anyone passing the open door to the room to see. Likewise the wallet, Hotel rooms are always cleaned with the room door propped open. Passers by (ie other guests) have been known to pop in and lift items whilst the room cleaner is in the en-suite with her head down cleaning the bath etc Skullie
The publics first thought is to blame the staff, the Police (in the UK) ask to see the guest register first.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
red 27, both rooms were locked. The keys were on our person at the breakfast table. Next helpful suggestion? Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
boredsurfin, the blackberry was in a bag, not left out.

red 27, boredsurfin, feel free to visit this hotel. Others may heed the warning.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Why does it take two people to clean a small room >?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
masmith wrote:
Why does it take two people to clean a small room >?

one to wipe down the bog, one to search for valuables - next silly question? Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
red 27, LOL Very Happy Very Happy
exactly.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
masmith, Partly in order to prevent precisely what you suspect here.

It is always less likely that two people will both be dishonest than that one will be.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
alex_heney, sorry, but never seen two people clean a room before. It only takes one dishonest member of staff, the other person could have been anyone
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
boredsurfin wrote:
Passers by (ie other guests) have been known to pop in and lift items whilst the room cleaner is in the en-suite with her head down cleaning the bath etc Skullie
The publics first thought is to blame the staff, the Police (in the UK) ask to see the guest register first.

In which case, why would they rifle though my money and only take three large notes, leaving enough 'wad' so as to not raise immediate suspipcion?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
masmith, Cast your mind back I bet at least half the guests looked dodgier than the staff Confused
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
boredsurfin wrote:
masmith, Cast your mind back I bet at least half the guests looked dodgier than the staff Confused

Not at all true. To be fair, I never gave any of the staff a second glance, why should I ? General clientele was very nice.

A thief from the street would have just lifted everything, they had nothing to cover up.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
masmith wrote:
boredsurfin wrote:

Not at all true. To be fair, I never gave any of the staff a second glance, why should I ? General level of clientele was very nice though.

A thief from the street would have just lifted everything, they had nothing to cover up.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Do also bear in mind that these thefts took place on the Saturday morning as we were about to check out of the hotel. Cynical view maybe, but if I were to nick something, a good time to do it would be just before the victims were to leave the hotel/resort ? A bit too late to do anything about it by the time you've realised ? Sounds a bit too clinical for me .
snow report
masmith, yes. that rings a bell... I once had a villa raided in spain on the Friday night - as you say they know that with the punters leaving early next day the less chance of the police being called in.

Wish somone would nick my blackberry.. Infernal device - a jumped-up pager.
ski holidays
Whilst we had no problems in our small Austrian hotel last week, we did notice that most of the room keys were identical rolling eyes
latest report
I have several times seen rooms cleaned by two people.

I haven't got a clue what you mean by your second comment.

If there are two authorised people, then each acts as a check on the other. If one is dishonest, the second one makes it much harder for them to act on that dishonesty.

But I also feel it far more likely that it was another guest than a member of staff.
ski holidays
We had a similar experience in Italy - wallet left in safe all week and yet we discovered, on leaving the hotel, that a credit card had gone missing. THe hotelier insisted that none of his staff could possibly be responsible Puzzled The thief managed to spend several thousands of pounds buying stuff - despite our ringing the card issuer immediately! Luckily we were covered and didn't suffer any loss. Sadly there are lots of wicked people out there Sad
ski holidays
alex_heney wrote:
I haven't got a clue what you mean by your second comment.

I assume you're referring to "It only takes one dishonest member of staff, the other person could have been anyone".

Let's say the hotel employs one member of staff to clean the room. That member of staff calls his/her partner in crime (who may or may not have any association with the hotel) on their mobile and requests their services for a few minutes. It is check out day after all and this person will, as usual, be awaiting the call for action. The 2nd person, appropritely dessed to avoid suspicion, briefly enters the hotel and assists as required.

Takes two minutes to arrange and a few seconds to execute.

alex_heney wrote:

If there are two authorised people, then each acts as a check on the other. If one is dishonest, the second one makes it much harder for them to act on that dishonesty.
Agreed entirely, I'm just not convinced that both people were authorised. I have written to the hotel to ask if it normal practice for 2 people to clean one room and if one of those people can clean the room while standing at the door. doh.
latest report
masmith, I understand what you were suggesting now.

I hadn't realised you thought one of them might not really be staff.
snow report
masmith, You have taken a locked secure room, you are well within your rights to expect that it is safe to leave small amounts of valuables within this room. Hotles generally have safes for extremely valuable items which neither of these were. Regardless of whether it was the staff or a passer by opportunist I still feel that the hotel should take responsability. Certainly I feel they should have internally performed a room search of the staff on duty as room cleaners at the time of the theft.

You have every right to be upset
ski holidays
plectrum, ah, a sympathetic poster, how refreshing !!

Problem is that we didn't realise the stuff was missing until after the event. As it happens, we moved to another hotel for a couple of days and it was during this time we went back to the hotel to make them aware, I must say their response was not encouraging.
ski holidays
masmith, ah poor you... I am so sincerely sorry for your loss rolling eyes

there you go, 2 sympathetic posters. we've all been ripped off at some stage...next time, take yer wallet to breakfast, lesson learned, move on...
latest report
red 27, thanks. Now I feel much better .. what would we do without people like you. Such a shame though that we can't leave personal items in our hotel room for half an hour.

Or at least avoid hotels where this has known to happen in the past, maybe some Very Happy's might welcome this information, others who think they know better can just come up with any contrived crap they want
ski holidays
masmith wasnt it 350 euros that was taken? wink
snow report
Chappers, ssh .!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy