Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TR: Tea with the Monks. (Photos)

Poster: A snowHead
Finally got round to baking the liners of Mrs P's new (pre-owned) Scarpa Lasers. Mrs P suggested we head off to see the monks at the monastery at the Col de St Bernard.

The skin up is a nice easy 1hr30min to 2hr skin along a cat track. It's good for exercise but not much else as the skiing is a little pants on the way down. Mrs P just wanted to test the boots out, so off we went.

Leaving the car park at Super St Bernard, a two lift resort with some great skiing right on the border of Italy and Switzerland:

Ohhhh, I'll be back later, that's got my name on it:

How far???

After about 2 hours (kit and boot adjustments), we can see the monastery:

Go on then Mrs P, that's all the skiing there is:

See the boots do work:

You'll take some of me? OK then. 1:

2:

3, smile for the camera:

Home soon:

Very respectable skiing, nice skin and the boots worked! A good day at work.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I forgot to say that I couldn't take any photos of the monks. They were wearing traditional dress and serving soup and tea to the tourers up there.

The monastery is the home of the St Bernard dogs, although they no longer keep them up there during the winter. In the summer you can drive to the col and see the dogs!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Coool Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ah, Doug from Peak Ski (Haggis Trap) told me about that.

Looks like a nice day out.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I keep thinking it's too difficult to keep fit enough for touring, and boots would be a hassle. Then I see pics like that. Hmm! Great stuff.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It is a great refuge - you sleep in a 17th century monks dormatory and there is a huge relief sculpture half way up the stairs to mark Napoleon's stay when he was taking his army over the Alps. The monastery is partly mediaeval and you can see the treasure and even go to early morning service with the monks if you wish.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mosha Marc, naughty Douglas skied the lift at Super St Bernard, he posted a mini TR on TGR. Douglas is a very naughty skier. This is his first winter here and he's already poached 50% of the top lines...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I know I've got some pre-digital photos of that monastery and skiing near it. I'll have to look for them and scan a couple.
Also I will do a TR of my Montgenevre trip soon (waiting for some photos from the guide).
However, here is one photo to whet your appetite:
http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/photo/10290
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
achilles, all depends on where you are! Stamina is the key, technique helps and a good guide / ski buddy who isn't going to ski you in to the ground.

snowball, I haven't stayed there as it's pretty accessible for us. Looking forward to your next TR, the teaser looks great!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
parlor, All true. I am getting very tempted again. I rather like the whole mountain experience touring gives.
latest report
 brian
brian
snowball, consider it whetted. Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowball, looking forward to it.

parlor, looks like a fun day out - the soup always tastes good up there
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yup - I wrote a little report on the lift skiing at Super St Bernard for natives.
(and also similar on TGR).

http://www.natives.co.uk/do/ecco.py/view_item?listid=9&listcatid=39&listitemid=5877

But as Parlor said it is a great spot for ski touring.
(though havent been there with skins yet myself...)

poaching wink Bec De Etagnes awaits
Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
parlor, in the first pic, did you set the Din on the rear bindings too low? It seems that the boots have released very easily! wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just make sure you don't drop a ski-stick down to the cellar when you prop your gear against the monastery wall - so that's why you carry a rope when you're touring then Laughing
snow report
Haggis_Trap wrote:
Yup - I wrote a little report on the lift skiing at Super St Bernard for natives.
(and also similar on TGR).

http://www.natives.co.uk/do/ecco.py/view_item?listid=9&listcatid=39&listitemid=5877

But as Parlor said it is a great spot for ski touring.
(though havent been there with skins yet myself...)

poaching wink Bec De Etagnes awaits
Very Happy

You are a very bad man. I've got the OK for la Grave...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy