Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

hidden valley sella ronda

Poster: A snowHead
Hi we are staying at canazei at half term as a familiy all intermediates ish. Is it worth a trip to the hidden valley whilst there? Also how do you get to it and how accessible on a trip from Canazei?

Cheers Smile Madeye-Smiley Very Happy Laughing
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi, its a fair old trek from Canazei to Hidden Valley and back, but prob just about doable. You'd need to ski round to Corvara area in Alta Badia (prob quickest via Arabba route) and then get a taxi from Armentorla (or something spelt like that), then do Hidden Valley, back to similar spot and then ski/lift around the Sella Ronda. Provided you set off early doors and are all reasonable skiers shld be doable, provided lift queues are not too bad. Its an amazing valley, and a must do is lunch at Rifugio Scotoni half way down HV - eat the grilled meats/polenta!
enjoy - wld be a great trip if you can make it...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Definitely worth a trip! There can be a bit of a queue at the cable car to take you up, but the run itself is pretty quiet. You might be able to get a taxi / coach from resort...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
mfamily2, Off to Corvara on Saturday and plan to do the Hidden Valley next week. Can't wait!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You don't need to get a taxi from as far as Corvara if you head over the other side of Alta Badia towards San Cassiano and then go to Armenterola - get a taxi from there and it's not far. It's a full day out from Canazei so set off early, your quickest way is to head sella ronda Arraba (green). After Arabba head to Bec de Roches and from there down to Campalongo. Then instead of heading to Corvara up Cherz and then all the way down to Armenterola (signposted from Cherz). Get taxi from Armenterola and then you can ski all the way back down to Armenterola (getting a pull from some horses accross the flat) and head home the way you came without having to get a taxi at all (follow signs for San Cass, Prolongia II, Arabba). While at hidden valley stop for lunch at Scottoni's - fantastic indoor BBQ!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If you get to use the horse-pull along the flat section, be warned, when I was there a couple of weeks ago I'm sure one of the horses went by the name of Shergar Shocked Talk about go on the B of the bang!!! That aside, the valley is well worth doing. If you're going with a tour operator you might find they'll organise a trip out there on one of the days.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
To save time getting there I think you can get a minibus from Arraba it leaves from the road by the cablecar/gondola station and is only a couple of euros. Alternatively, if you're with a tour op, they will almost certainly run a coach on one day, this can be handy as they'll (a) book tables for lunch in the restaurant, (b) take you to cinque torri as well before the hidden valley and (c) probably take you for a drink/dance afterwards in Corvara.

Definately worth the effort.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Swirly wrote:
To save time getting there I think you can get a minibus from Arraba it leaves from the road by the cablecar/gondola station and is only a couple of euros. Alternatively, if you're with a tour op, they will almost certainly run a coach on one day, this can be handy as they'll (a) book tables for lunch in the restaurant, (b) take you to cinque torri as well before the hidden valley and (c) probably take you for a drink/dance afterwards in Corvara.

Definately worth the effort.

Riding on a bus in the mountains when you can ski is a mortal sin!!! snowHead

If you're a slower skier though, or not confident enough to get over the reds through Arabba then a coach is worth it.

Enjoy!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Joanne Mountainsun, but you can't ski to the cinque torri. Also when we went we got there not long after lifts opened so didn't miss more than about 30 minutes skiing in the day.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Walk across the road from the bottom of Lagazoui (lift taking you up to hidden valley), then scoot along the track to small chair lift, carry on down the track a few mins (fairly flat but you can keep moving) and you're at cinque torri. You will need to get a five minute bus back to Lagazoui once you've skied cinque torri. As you said though, if you want a full day over cinque torri and hidden valley you can always get the bus...I'm only kidding Little Angel Personally I'd ski it, but I might not if I didn't know my way round so well. It's all beautiful, and gaving out of the window on the drive from Canazi is beautiful too. Have fun.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mfamily2, We are staying in Canazei at Half Term too - from 16th Feb. I have stayed in Arabba many times, but decided to try somewhere else this year for a change. As Joanne Mountainsun, says getting to the Hidden Valley is very doable in a day. SP and I did not leave Arabba last year until 10:30 and we got back by mid afternoon, despite very large queues for the taxi/buses at Armentarola and at the cable car at Lagazoui. I have not skied Cinque Torri for many years, but it is well worth a detour if you have time, more stunning scenery!!

Cheers
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Look forward to some reports please on your return---- due in Canazei from NZ on 2nd March
Thanks
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Joanne Mountainsun, you forget the ski boot bop as well! Like you say though however you get there everything you pass looks fantastic. I'm surprised at how many snowheads have been to the Dolomites. I have to go back, mainly to do the Val di Mezdi and possibly *gulp* Pordoi Gulley.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm off to Arabba on 8th March, can't wait. Will definitely make the effort to get over to the Hidden Valley and Cinque Torri.

Swirly, the Pordoi Gulley? Do tell... Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowshine, An off piste route from the top of the Podoi cable car (No pised runs down from that one, it is normally just for the views).

The run effectively cuts through the Sella Massif (that the Sella Ronda goes all around), and comes out between Corvara and Arabba I believe (I have NOT done it myself, am nowhere near the standard required).
ski holidays
snowshine, like alex_heney, says but I was fairly certain it comes down to Passo Pordoi. Steep, narrow and rocky is probably the best description, need to improve a bit first though.
snow report
Snowshine, as Swirly says, the Forcella Pordoi (Pordoi Gulley?) run drops down the face of the Sass Pordoi to the right of the cablecar.

Alex_Heney is talking about the Val di Mezdi, a longer route that is also accessed from the Pordoi cablecar but goes down a narrow cleft in the Sella Massif and ends up the opposite side of it near Colfosco

There is a third route down via Val Lasties which ends up near Lupo Bianco on the Sella Ronda just above Canazei.

All are unpisted itineraries, and it's recommended to have expert guiding to negotiate safely. Though loads do the Forcella route without, as it's like a long, steep black piste.
latest report
alex_heney, Swirly, luigi, thanks for the info, might well have a look since I'm there but sounds like I'm probably not quite up to standard for that yet Embarassed

We are however thinking of booking a guide through the local ski school for a bit of off-piste guiding, so who knows...
snow report
Snowshine, definitely worth going up the Pordoi cablecar for the view from the top on a clear day, even if you decide you aren't going to ski down. Can easily be done as a side-trip on the clockwise Sella Ronda.
ski holidays
Val di Mesdi is a great ski (sometimes called the Italian Vallee Blanche - though it requires a bit of a walk to get to the start of the main run and the first bit after that is quite steep).
ski holidays
Swirly wrote:
Joanne Mountainsun, you forget the ski boot bop as well! Like you say though however you get there everything you pass looks fantastic. I'm surprised at how many snowheads have been to the Dolomites. I have to go back, mainly to do the Val di Mezdi and possibly *gulp* Pordoi Gulley.

What on earth is "the ski boot bop" ? - all that time living in San Cass and I've missed something Shocked

Val Mesdi well worth the walk in if you're game. Grab it early though if it's fresh snow and a nice day as it does get tracked out...
snow conditions
mfamily2 wrote:
Hi we are staying at canazei at half term as a familiy all intermediates ish. Is it worth a trip to the hidden valley whilst there? Also how do you get to it and how accessible on a trip from Canazei?

Cheers Smile Madeye-Smiley Very Happy Laughing

How did you do getting from Canazei to the Hidden Valley?

We tried it last Thursday, had a slow(ish) intermediate with us and it took nearly 2 hours to get to Pralongia - where I called a halt to the planned trip on the grounds that we would not make it there and back. Turned it into a Sella Ronda day instead, which was cool.
ski holidays
Going back a few years, I seem to remember there were two places called Cherz on the proper, big map you were advised to buy at newsagents.

I wasted a lot of time trying to find the right one. Otherwise, it was fairly straightforward.
snow conditions
Tried to do this in January from Canazei with a group of advanced skiers. Unfortunately due to the road conditions the pass was closed - so we got to Armenterola and the shuttle taxis weren't running. Given that the return journey via Arraba involves going right to the top of the gondola above Arabba (sp?) doing it with intermediates could be stretching available time somewhat.

An alternative is doing it in two days: the Refuge Lagazoui has rooms, so you get the last cable car of the day up, and then get first tracks next day! Toofy Grin
latest report
Joanne Mountainsun wrote:

What on earth is "the ski boot bop" ? - all that time living in San Cass and I've missed something Shocked

When the TO's organise a hiddne Valley day trip, they almost invariably end the day with that.

Early evening in Corvara. I can't remember which hotel.

When we did it, the price of the trip included a champagne cocktail at the start of the evening. I'm not sure just what was in them, but they went down awfully easily and were potent. After one or wto of those, it doesn't take long before everybody is dancing in their ski boots.
ski holidays
alex_heney, been there, done that Very Happy Like yourself I can't remember the name of the bar, but it was a lot of fun.
snow report
Phil Jordan, I think it must be Hotel Posta Zirm. Stayed in Corvara week before last and just poked my head in to take a peek. Not many people on the dance floor though.
snow conditions
Twas indeed. I was there on Thursday 14th. Great fun. Top quality music too: Abba, Macarena, Saturday Night, YMCA. All done in ski-boots. Seems a little odd when it is still daylight outside.

snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Used to be called the 'Tea Dance' and there was a live band with a singer who stood on tables wearing very little ( thats the bit I remember ) Toofy Grin
ski holidays
CP, No tea involved - but plenty of dancing! We wore full ski gear, but after two champagne cocktails it did not seem to matter much...... Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
snow report
bev bish, No tea for us either - the coach trips back to Arabba were an event in their own right Toofy Grin
latest report
CP, We ended up taking an organised trip and combined Cinq Torri with the Hidden valley. Sking was excellent but an hour and a half on a hot bus left me nauseas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Did the ski boot bop, well I didn't but my wife did. Drove back over pass in the dark with excellent views of hundreds of piste bashers. an excellent week. The highlight for me was the run from the top of the Marmolada though. We did it first thing in excellent snow.
snow conditions
CP or other who been in Arabba. Is it easy to get between Arabba and Corvara in the evning /night ?Is there some kind of regular conection or do you have to take a taxi. What would the costs be ? Thanks in advance.
ski holidays
termons, Would have to be taxi which from memory is quite exspensive as most of the taxis are 10 seat vans. I would think you are talking about a min £20 each way
latest report
termons, Sorry I have never tried it but suspect that riverman is right about needing to get a taxi.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy