Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Suitable skis for novice off-pister

Poster: A snowHead
I did my first off piste trip last week & it was amazing. I'm reliably informed that my skis (Rossignol attraxion 3's) probably werent the best for the conditions. They are fantastic piste skis & good on ice, but, I'm told, not long or fat enough for off piste.

I want to hire some for a trip in March. Any suggestions as to what I should be looking at? Please bear in mind that I'm new to off piste & dont want anything too scary wink I'm 5ft 2in & my piste skis at 146cm are perfect for me as longer ones seem to make me fall over rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
156 Icelantic Nomads Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kiwi1, Is that an unbiased answer? wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
165cm pocket rockets Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
geri wrote:
kiwi1, Is that an unbiased answer? wink
Totally wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
K2 Phat Luvs, Rossignol Scratch BC W or as kiwi1 suggested the Icelantics!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Movement Black Roses. Wink

If you want dedicated off piste skis I'd just ski something with a 85mm+ waist and wait until you work out what you like.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Spikyhedgehog, Mmm, not sure I like the sound of 'fast high-speed carving racing over the groomers'- quote form the makers Confused

parlor, kiwi1, nbt, I like the look of the skis you suggest (not so sure about the Rossignol Scratch BC). Are they all fairly readily available to rent in France?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
geri, not sure! Rossi and K2 should be but I doubt the Icelantics will be. I think Kiwi1 will have some at the EOSB.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
geri,

A variant of the Missions should be a good place to start. My opinion is they are too turney in the longer term but they are easy to start the turn which you might feel you need.
To make it even easier for yourself, pick your snow and stay away from old crusty stuff unlessyou really mean to stick at it come what may.

The Head Monsters 77/78 and upwards should also be ok as should older B2's. I mention these types of skis as I think they will be available quite easily rather than being the best for you. You want something manageable, wide in the shovel and not too stiff to start with.
The Rockets might be good for you...

It is difficult to have a wish list and then when in resort you don't get any of those skis. Ask for a softish powder ski when you get GOOD helpful snow. Slightly longer than you are used to will not be a bad idea...this promotes float, which you want. Then let these skis turn in their own time ...so that you don't force it out of the fall-line too quickly.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
geri, Dunno, not rented in years but Pocket rockets are quite a common sight, I would imagine you could get hold of them. If you lived closer to manchester you cold borrow mine with pleasure

Spikyhedgehog, I'm thinking if replacing my Movement FLames (74mm waist, skiied for 6 days in total) with thunders or maybe even something bigger for general piste cruising, never mind off piste!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
nbt,

go for it, the big movements are a blast all over the shop
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
nbt,

Try the Spark... I skied it in deep stuff and it is fine. You could go fatter than the 82mm but it rails the hardpack as well. I asked about the Thunder and the very knowledgable( IMV) Movement shop said I would not gain anything out of the Thunder and I seem to recall it being fatter but I took his word. Maybe something got lost in the translation but the Spark is a b0ll0cking ski all round and is pretty light for the punch it packs. As I said, I was looking for a fatter ski but couldn't find one that I wanted to try.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nbt, Thank you for the kind offer snowHead My daughter's at uni in Manchester - but I wont be seeing her until after the trip rolling eyes

Thanks for the advice Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
geri, where and when are you going in March?
snow conditions
Back to Plan Peisey on 8th March for 2 weeks - cant wait snowHead
snow report
I have movement sparks and I still favour my gladiators on piste, let alone off! Sparks are fantastic ski, but my Gladiators just rule the mountain everywhere! Although they are probably a bit long for you at 183. Remember that twin tips shed off a fair amount of length.

Places are starting to stock the movement range (bar the really fat stuff) so you could always ask for a test.

There's somewhere in Tignes that rents Icelantic Nomads and Movement Baggys, so you might find somewhere to have a real try of some fat skis.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy