Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Rucksacks/ Backbacks/ Daypacks/ Helipacks etc.

Poster: A snowHead
OK, so they're flavour of the month at the moment, but why on earth are they not Rucksacks? I'm sure this is what they are (aren't they?) so where has the word 'pack' stemmed from - yes, I know from Backpack, but surely they are all rucksacks of some form or another?

Discuss.......................

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 6-02-08 20:37; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Megamum, absolutely. rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Megamum, yes your right rolling eyes just like a car is as car unless its a supermini/hatchback/estate/MVP/Soft Roader/saloon/4x4 etc... I think you get the picture Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Megamum, you know the answer right? Re-issue, re-package, re-market - re-invent the wheel.... The discerning outdoor sports connoiuseeur (spelling Shocked ) can never be satisfied until she has a 'pack' for every occasion... copyright Acme Rucksack inc

but tell me MM - how many handbags do you own? wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Megamum, what's wrong with calling them backpacks or a derivative thereof?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I first heard the terms 'backpacker' about 35 years ago. Sounded progressive to me.

'Sack' sounds like unemployment, potatoes, prisoners dutifully sewing mailbags etc.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Megamum, OK. So rucksack and pack pack you understand, but not all sacks are equal.

A day pack might be from 10L to 30L, or 40L, in size. Unsurprisingly this is used to hold the general items that one might need during the day, whatever your day might be.

You might then have a pack for multi day tours which would be between 25L, at the smallest imaginable end, up to something around 60L, but a pack this big is going to hinder your skiing!

When you see people go off 'back packing' they take bags in the 50L-70L range. These are available in two main styles too. You get your average 'back pack', which has sholder straps and can carry loads of gear, these don't have to be very expensive and aren't very comfortable but great if you're just moving from hostel to hostel. A technical or 'hiking' back pack of similar sizes are much more expensive and have been ergonomically designed to be very comfortable when worn for long periods of time, perfect for serious hiking.

A helipack is actually a particular model of pack from Dakine, one of the more popular or ski / snowboard back packs.

Backpacks have become more and more popular with skiers over the last decade or so, they're almost becoming 'skiing status symbols'. If you go to Chamonix the fashion is to have as much hanging off your back pack as possible.

Some skiers like to show off their bravado by having an avalanche shovel attached to the outside of the pack. It says "look at me, I ski off piste." This is a very silly place to attach your shovel handle and actually says "look at me, I'm a punter" or "look at me, I'm a gaper". I know at least two people that have lost their shovel handles because they have been attached to the outside. And I saw a handle at the bottom of a chair lift the other day, I suspect will have been dropped the same way.

Backpacks are great and I never really ski without one. The list of stuff I (and others) carry is long and can be found with an easy search in the Equipment section.

Hydration packs are also really making back packs popular too, it's great being able to keep hydrated in such an easy way.

/monologue
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
red 27, You may find this hard to believe, but I'm difficult to please in the handbag dept. and usually only have one on the go for months/years if I can make it last, at a time - I will also spend upto about £100 if it means I think I have found the right one. However, the last two dear ones have self destructed about 4 months use (I'm quite hard on handbags) so I've given up on leather ones and am now using a cheap canvas one that I picked up in the local town - that has now done about 10 months and is still going strong. I prefer a long strap shoulder bag, but at the moment the current one just tucks under the underarm - not entirely satisfactory but at least its lasting. I also only own about 7 pairs of shoes Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Megamum, are you married - if not, wanna be?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Megamum, Join SCGB and find out wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
red 27, I didn't realise this place did dating too wink Yes, I do have another half - we could always have an illicit on-line affaire though wink Ahhhhh.........the thrills.......the excitement........
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Megamum, sounds good... not a great love affair you understand, I'm just after a bint that doesn't need an extension to house her Marcos-esque bag'n'shoe collection wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
red 27, I only shop for clothes about once or twice a year too!! Seems like I could be the lass you're looking for - However, I believe you should know that Masque has also been on the horizon for a while two, but if the two of you would like to have it out between you I'm happy to go along with the outcome!! Unless of course you see some thrill value in a threesome wink Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Rucksack sounds very old-fashioned to me - the sort of thing my parents would say, along with the wireless (as in radio, not wifi) and motor car Toofy Grin

I went backpacking, not rucksacking Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
and wots wrong with gramophone?

No need to call em record players or stereos.

Cars indeed. Automobiles if you please.

And I think you'll find it's a knapsack.
snow report
Megamum wrote:
red 27, Masque has also been on the horizon for a while two, Unless of course you see some thrill value in a threesome wink Laughing

OK, but this Mosque bird better be good looking....
ski holidays
This is what a backpack looks like, not to be confused with a day-pack or rucksack.....

latest report
Megamum wrote:
red 27, I only shop for clothes about once or twice a year too!!

Yes... January to June and July to December.
latest report
I used to call it a Rucksack, but then I had a baby, who became a young son, who now LOVES Dora the Explorer....so it is now a backpack! Smile
ski holidays
Odin, That backpack is no good, it doesn't have a waist band. However I like the pink attachment on the front of it.
latest report
snowball, What i like best about the picture is the fact that she feels wearing the scarf, hat and gloves will keep her warm.
(OK I admit its what i like 2nd best about the picture!)
ski holidays
What I don't like about that picture...... is that you can't see her t............................................... s !!!!!
latest report
Oh...and some closer fitting packs can help you feel warmer... which you might only notice if you ski without it once in a while.

I did this for the 1st time in ages on a colder day recently and really noticed it... !!!!!!!!
latest report
REAL backpack's are called Bergens, everything else is a pack. Toofy Grin
latest report
JT, Well at least with the picture you could use your imagination which may be better than the real thing!!
latest report
Hmmm, looks a bit chilly - I bet she could hang that pack off her nipp..... Shocked
snow report
Megamum, if that's Masque count me in Razz
snow report
JT wrote:
Oh...and some closer fitting packs can help you feel warmer... which you might only notice if you ski without it once in a while.

I did this for the 1st time in ages on a colder day recently and really noticed it... !!!!!!!!
On the other hand you can get very sweaty behind a closer fitting one. (But in this particular case I doubt that the backpack would object)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
i wish i was skiing there at the same time Smile
ski holidays
Ok, troymgc, you've got me intrigued:
How on earth, and/or why, did you find this thread from 5 years ago?
Presumably by using the Search facility?
So what was your search term(s)?
ski holidays
Backpack is just a translation of the German work Ruksak (sp)
ski holidays
the real story here is rucksack - what we used to call them in Britain. Backpack - what they called them in the colonies ( Very Happy ) inc. US. US cultural imperialism has won the argument and everything is derived from backpack now (well mostly).
latest report
Megamum wrote:
I will also spend upto about £100 if it means I think I have found the right one. However, the last two dear ones have self destructed about 4 months use (I'm quite hard on handbags) so I've given up on leather ones and am now using a cheap canvas one that I picked up in the local town - that has now done about 10 months and is still going strong.

http://youtube.com/v/FASu5Bh1q90
snow conditions
Hold thread revival!

I'll be in the corner with my haversack.
ski holidays
Right children..... your essay for today. Discuss the contention that backpacks are more dangerous than helmets. They raise the CoG, get caught on chairlifts and clutter up Gondolas. On the basis that man created skiing merely as a mode of transport between mountain restaurants their role as a hydration pack is both unnecessary, unsociable and economically undesirable. Discuss.
snow conditions
DB, Laughing Laughing
My Mum still calls them knapsacks!
snow report
Odin, there's a rucksack in that picture Puzzled

It's very simple - if they're just called rucksacks we would only buy one, change the name and we buy one of each. Same with shoes - you used to buy walking boots, but now you have trail shoes, approach shoes, hiking boots, light-terrain shoes etc.

It's the marketeers kidding us that we need a seperate thing for different circumstances - strangely the only thing which has gone the other way is phones, which are now cameras, music players, GPS etc where as before we carried umpteen gadgets
latest report
Megamum, is that canvas bag still going or has it gone?

Seriously........1 handbag .........7 pairs of shoes........really! Very Happy
ski holidays
imho, rucksack is what they all arem backpack is just another name for the same.

But daypack/daysack, alpine pack, heli pack are all specific versions of rucksack for specific purposes.
latest report
i was at work and at 3 or 4am was looking for a ski carrying backpack Smile ... i didnt actually realise how old the thread was until i posted my comment....lol
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy