Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Turin airport - ski boots in hand luggage?

Poster: A snowHead
...sorry another hand luggage thread. I've searched and I can't find anything referring to Turin.

I'm flying Stansted-Turin with Ryanair on Sat 9Feb. Stansted airport security have confirmed that I can carry ski boots in hand luggage. But I don't know if I'll be able to bring them back from Turin the same way. If I can't then I'm back to the old problem of going over the 15kg allowance!

Does anyone have any recent experience through Turin airport?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well, everything is up in the air again. Plainly nobody is talking to each other. Stanstead security had told me 3 weeks ago they were forbidden and Heathrow security said two days ago that they were forbidden in all BAA airports (and Stanstead is BAA). However on seeing your post I rang Stanstead. The woman at once said no, they were forbidden. When I told her what you had been told she contacted security and they said if they were the kind with blades attached they were forbidden ( Shocked Puzzled ) And when I said ski boots didn't have blades attached she said "No, thats right they just clip in don't they. He must have been thinking of skating boots. So I suppose they are OK then."

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jo66, Hi Jo - I came through there 2 weeks ago and there were boot bags a-plenty going into the overhead lockers on the ryanair flight back to Stansted, so unless things have changed since, you'll be cool.

Remember, their Italian! Much more unencumbered by petty rules and regulations than most other europeans, and if the worst comes to the worst 20€ should oil the wheels wink

Countdown to Montgenvre right?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jo66, Any problems just put on the boots and walk on through!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Taken boots as hand luggage at Turin several times without any problems.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi red 27, forgot that you went to Cervinia a couple of weeks ago! Thanks for that reassuring news.

And yes, I'm on countdown to Montgenevre - only 2 1/2 days to go Very Happy
Hence the packing nightmare - I'm trying to keep my suitcase under 15kg - which I can do if I take the boots in hand luggage. I'm so stressed out about it that I'm even boing to borrow some bathroom scales tonight to weigh our two suitcases!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
levart, thanks also - more reassuring news!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jo66, a wise idea to weigh them, you won't be stressed then when you know the weight. You can chuck extras in hand luggage, 10 kilos means a lot of stuff.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jo66, I now use a canvas hold-all rather than a suitcase when going Ryanair as my case itself weighs about 3.5 kg! Downside is of course that the bag provides no protection for what's inside and I'm always scared that my beloved ski boots will have been crushed in transit - hasn't happended yet though...

We are expecting a full trip report on your return snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
red 27, I weighed my empty suitcase and it was about 4.5kg! So I've decided to buy a lighter wheelie holdall and use that instead of the suitcase. It should save me 2-3kgs. I'm going to get it at lunchtime. Then tonight I will repack and weigh everything again!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm going on a package with Inghams, just received my tickets and the info booklet says "Ski boots are not permitted in the aircraft passenger cabin - They could be an accident risk."
Accident risk? how?
Also says"Airlines are becoming more aware that passengers are cramming more in with their skis and boots to avoid paying excess baggage charges (boots are included in the hold allowance, skis can be carried in addition if prepaid). This can also be dangerous since if many ski bags exceed the notional weight the aircraft is then heavier than calculated thus affecting it's performance and possibly it's safe operation. If you do carry more items in with your skis you may be asked to remove the items at check-in and repack accordingly."
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Can I just give a warning about Turin Airport. Nothing to do with what you can take, but more to do with the total chaos on arrival on Sundays, especially if you dont arrive first thing and about 10 other UK flights are in before you.....

Basically, ignore the TV screens telling you which carousel your luggage will come out on, because it will come out wherever the Italians decide to be arsed to put it, if they arent having a fag or coffee break, that is.

And as for ski bags, they could come out anywhere at all, even on the carousels.

Unfortunately, the Crystal rep wasnt interested in listening to people whose luggage hasnt come out, and told people if they werent on the buses in 10 minutes they would have to get to resort themselves, and that bags would be sent up later on. Bearing in mind a lot of boarders put clothing and boots in their bags, there was a lot of unrest, and in the end everyone agreed not to get on the bus until everyones luggage had come through, resulting in one p***ed off Crystal rep, but lots of happy holiday makers with all their gear.

Just be prepared for some fun and games on arrival.

Going back is much better however, provided you dont mind having a look around and not doing what most dorky people did and stand in the doorway looking for their check in desk number on the screens!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
don't you just love Cyrstal transfer reps, after getting to Innsbruck after being on a plane for 7 hours the moody transfer rep didn't realise how close he came to having my ski bag wrapped 'round his neck!! Like it was my fault he'd been there all day!!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Don't risk it. I spotted a guy in the Flybe check in at Chambery on Saturday. He had to put his boots in the hold. On the way out he was allowed them in his hand luggage.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
freezywater, HTF did it take 7 hours to get to innsbruck - did tou go via Moscow?

erica2004, too late - Jo66 is over there - Turin is cool though fir boots on the plane - I guarantee it... wink
snow report
Ive never had any problem with Turin airport itself. Its well located and well run.

Tony_H, Been to Turin airport about 10 times, never had this problem with carousels. This christmas I saw the Juventus team collecting their bags next to our carousel.

It has lovely views of the Gran Paradiso. I quite like the airport personally.
ski holidays
I have to agree with Tony H. 3 weeks ago flying with Neilson the baggage came out on 3 carousels. ski's and boards on the oversize baggage line (number 1 I think) and the rest on two side by side but only one was shown on the screens. Took about 2hrs for everyones bags to be collected.
latest report
Perhaps we should start a database of these topics. We could have entries such as "Turin allows boots in hand luggage" and "Turin doesn't allow boots in hand luggage" as different people flying with different airlines report their experiences.
snow report
MarkBe, Tony_H, I see a problem here only with Tour Operators. Owh what a suprise. Not had that problem with easyjet and ryanair flights always the same carousel. May not be the TO's fault, but still I bet you had to wait an hour and a half for the bus to leave.

Jack them and do it yourself or use an independant ski business.

I cant stand TO's and will never use them again.
snow report
things seem to have changed somewhat since we last went. We hav always put ski boots inthe hold but they were always classed as part of the ski carriage rather than included in yur baggage allowance. so is it best to pack them in your suitcase nowadays if you can't take them in the hold rather than a seperate boot bag?

mid you the last time we went to Turin it was a total security nightmare, you basically found a big wheeled bin with your flight number and lobbed your ski bag in there (and could have quite easily helped yourself to a few of someone elses pairs at the same time
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy