Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SCGB reprices membership deal for under 24s to £18 plus Salomon backpack "worth £45"

Poster: A snowHead
You could have blown me over with a bite-sized death cookie ...

... I turned to page 85 of this month's Ski and Board (which is the SCGB's magazine, also sold on some newstands) and there's a full-page ad offering a year's membership for £18 including 'free Salomon S-Tab Z rucksack worth £45' ... so long as you're under 24.

I'm not under 24, so I pay £51, for which I receive identical membership services to anyone under 24, except that I get no free rucksack.

I'm all for my Club increasing its youth membership with relevant loyalty-inducing services, but this would appear to be subsidy on a huge scale. Am I paying the subsidy?

Let's make an assumption that 1,000 under-24s join the Club as a result of this offer (in Marlon Brando speak "an offer they cannot refuse"). That's £18,000 in turnover. What's the cost to the Club of the £45 backpacks? £10 a piece? £8 a piece? I guess they come in cheap from Salomon as a promotional item.

So that's £8000 to £10,000 out of the window (unless I'm completely wrong). Then there's the cost of posting the packs - presumably about £2 a hit. So that's another £2000, plus the administration and setting up the memberships.

Then there's the cost of servicing the memberships over the year. Since my Club is run on a non-profit basis, I assume that my £51 membership costs about £51 to service. So maybe the £18 memberships cost about the same to service (without adding in the free backpacks).

A comparable club, which is marketing memberships to under 18s as a category (not under 24s), and a 'lite' membership at £15 to any age boarder, is snowboardclub.co.uk:

http://www.snowboardclub.co.uk/module-htmlpages-display-pid-48.html

I'd be interested in people's views on the comparisons. Any under-18s or under-24s care to comment?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd have thought yoof membership is very low so in order to grow/maintain your membership/ future freshtracks customers etc. anything is fair play. £24 ceratinly seems a fairer pricing level given my perception of what SCGB actually priovides that I might use.

Duncan's SCUK was built on the back of a non commercial website (admin?) and has done very well I understand because membership is priced at at level where it is almost a no brianer given the freebies.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Free flights anyone?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Is Tamworth the Val d'Isere of the future? wrote:
Free flights anyone?

Not to Tamworth, thank you.

fatbob wrote:
I'd have thought ... anything is fair play.

Well, this is where it gets interesting. SnowboardClubUK (SCUK) is a privately-owned business, as I understand it. The SCGB isn't. It's owned by me and about 33,000 other members. So anything that costs us money, or involves a cross-subsidy on our part, is an issue.

As to whether snowHeads should charge a membership fee, SCUK effectively doesn't - in terms of using its forum (which, of course, also used to be the case for public use of the SCGB forum before Feb 2002)
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David Goldsmith, Now you have spoilt things! Having decided to pay for Daughters membership in resort and get two years for the price of one. You now offer us a £45.00 back pack instead Confused
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
David Goldsmith, Could you pm me the promo code from page 85, thanks Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David Goldsmith, Do not forget that the Ski Club definition of a 'child' used to include anybody up to the age of 37.

I think you were the last person to raise that issue as well.

You would not want to take the bite from baby's mouth surely ?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ha! Waddiditellya?

achilles at 9.47am wrote:
but better than the other sH bonding alternative, bashing the SCGB, IMV - though I suppose one of those will pop up again soon.

In 3 hours? I call that a prediction! May I have a backpack, please? Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
boredsurfin,
Sorry, I'm going to take a Scrooge-like stance on this. The promo code cost me £51 and now I'm being invited to give it away ... with the result (I suspect) that every 'promo membership' provided by the SCGB will cost me membership benefits.

Would you settle for a bag of jellybabies or something I found in a Christmas cracker recently?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
David Goldsmith,
Quote:

ad offering a year's membership for £18 including 'free Salomon S-Tab Z rucksack worth £45' ... so long as you're under 24.

The page 85 that I'm looking at is for any membership. The only criteria I can see is that it needs to be Direct Debit and expires 30 April
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
achilles, Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lou, thanks for clarifying that. The backpack is given away with any membership. If you're over 24 you pay £51 or £75 for a family membership. The ad doesn't specify whether the membership has to be new.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Latchigo wrote:
David Goldsmith, Do not forget that the Ski Club definition of a 'child' used to include anybody up to the age of 37.

I think you were the last person to raise that issue as well.

Very satirical. I think there was a case of a 37-year-old walking into the clubhouse in school uniform and asking for a child membership, but that person was arrested.

For the benefit of the studio audience Latchigo is referring to the decision (about 3 years ago) to raise the threshold child/adult age from 18 to 24 for SCGB membership.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Is the back pack big enough to take my boots as hand luggage?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I don't know. Is there any particular reason you don't want to take them as foot luggage?
snow conditions
The thing that intrigues me greatly about this offer is that it seems to be an open invitation to existing members to cancel-renew (perhaps prematurely) which would have to involve re-starting a direct debit to compy with the terms, and claim a backpack. The circulation of Ski+Board is approximately 90% members, 10% newstand.

I'm puzzled that the ad is targeted this way, and isn't worded to specify that it's for 'new members only' (if that discrimination is allowed legally).
ski holidays
Presumably the marginal cost of signing up and, ahem, servicing a new member is small, and it may be that at the price offered, the SCGB can cover the marginal cost of new under 24 members. Some of these may become over 24 members taking their place alongside David Goldsmith at £51 pa. I suppose it could be regarded as using older, wiser and, most importantly, richer members to subsidise new young blood in attempt to secure the future of the club. I doubt that the club would be able to cut David Goldsmith's sub by ceasing to take on under 24s at £18 pa, with or without a backpack.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 6-02-08 18:11; edited 1 time in total
latest report
David Goldsmith, Ok thanks, I'll pop into WHsmith and get the code from a mag! Toofy Grin wink
ski holidays
richmond, the 'marginal cost of new member' argument is one that many fully-commercial clubs can advance to promote 'loss-leader' membership rates, because they are answerable to shareholders who may not even be members of the organisation. The SCGB, as a member-owned organisation, is answerable to its members (the vast majority of whom cover the running costs by paying £51 or £75 annual fees)

If the £18 rate (with free backpack) isn't simply taken up by people who later cancel, but who ultimately convert to the £51 rate, then your argument might hold water for a fully-commercial club. But the 'promise' is still full of uncertainties.

My concern is that under-24s are virtually being paid to join the Club. Furthermore, the primary membership benefit promoted in the ad is the repping service, which has c. £225,000 costs to cater for c.6000 skiers (including non-members) each winter.

So, overall, the cost to the SCGB of signing up a new under-24 member - if one discounts the marginal cost argument - could be over £80, including the backpack.

The SCUK strategy (see link above) seems to be targeted, costed and marketed with a youth market in mind.

I don't know their paid membership numbers? Are there any stats on this?
snow report
David Goldsmith, it was just a thought. I don't see that it matters who owns the club; if the tactic is successful in increasing membership in the long run without increasing costs in the short run (by charging new, young members only the marginal cost of their membership), it's presumably a good thing. Being a members' club, SCGB may need to convince it's members, rather than shareholders, of the wisdom of the schme, but the arguments would be the same for and against.
snow conditions
Someone please give David Goldsmith, a backpack!!
snow conditions
Here's some relative (not very comparable) data, based on the latest claims I can find:

SCGB
'Paying members (units)': 19,139
Total members: 33,566
'the edge' newsletter subscribers: 145,000

SCUK
'Membership': 1200+
'User accounts': 17,595
'Newsletter subscribers': 28,000

snowHeads
'Registered snowHeads': 10,269

I imagine that user accounts, registered users of websites/forums and newsletter subscribers would include duplicate users/multiple email addresses etc.
There's not much published data on age demographics. The SCGB claims 26.9% of members are under 24 (which would include children in family subscriptions, plus independent under-24 subscriptions)

Are there any other national clubs or 'clubs' going at the moment?

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 6-02-08 20:04; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Megamum, I think they did a few years back. As I understand it, the affair resulted in comments which in turn lead to money being extracted from the Club for charity designated by David. Good for David's charity - not good for club funds. Shocked

No doubt David will post a correction if I am in error. Hope all the rest of you are gripped by discussion on SCGB subscription. rolling eyes
snow report
Yes, you're in error
ski holidays
achilles,
Quote:

Hope all the rest of you are gripped by discussion on SCGB subscription

What do you think? rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes (Even as a member I couldn't give a toss!)
latest report
David Goldsmith, Do explain how I was in error. It is very close to to my recollection of the SCGB forum thread discussion on the matter - but as you know, search is a bit of a pain over there, and I was hoping not to have to dig it out - and I don't have the time to do it anyway, now.
snow report
David Goldsmith, I read originally as you posting something positive about the Ski Club for a change. Many under 24's are now struggling with student loans and the resulting debt, so I am afraid the Ski Club will have to work hard to get any money out of this age group. Incentives are needed, and they probably got the backpacks for next to nothing, if in fact they paid anything for them at all. Despite being owned by the membership, it has to be run as a business, and bring in money. And, just what has this got to do with SnowHeads, and the Piste, other than to complain to other SKi Club members who it appears aren't really bothered.
snow report
Helen, you're being rather harsh. Any publicity is good publicity, and boredsurfin is already after a membership and free backpack.

This is an objective discussion about marketing clubs to young skiers and boarders. No need to tick me off like a headmistress!

achilles, by all means check the facts for a change. You've a tendency to spin like a ballerina.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Goldsmith wrote:
.........achilles, by all means check the facts for a change. You've a tendency to spin like a ballerina.

rolling eyes

You posted here (sorry that link is only viewable by SCGB members, but David seems to need a memory jog)

David Goldsmith wrote:
There was no claim. There was no court. There wasn't even a lawyer. A sum, determined by the Ski Club, was paid to charity.

Unless the club wanted spontaneously to donate members' money to charity of your choice, I think that my interpretation of events was reasonable.

PS: I am not too happy about quoting SCGB poster's names here, even in a quote - but as you use your name is consistent in both forums I trust you are happy about that. I have very good reasons - which I have explained to admin, for not using my SCGB name here.
ski holidays
David, you're stirring it again.

Can someone bump this off to never never land? Little Angel
ski holidays
halfhand, I did ask a mod - who thought it should stay here. Shocked
latest report
achilles, that is not what I said.
latest report
Scroll back and form your own judgements, friends.
Megamum made a perfectly charming comment, and then look what happened.

I think there are perfectly genuine issues here: three clubs or 'clubs', all trying to attract similar supporters/members, carrots being dangled etc.

It's possible to talk about these very interesting things, without the personal schtick.
snow report
Helen Beaumont, sorry, no intention to misrepresent you.
Helen Beaumont wrote:
......... SCGB section is now archived, so not really the place for an active thread. ..........

I kinda thought that you meant the thread should remain here - particularly since that is where it has stayed. If that is not what you meant, my apologies.
snow report
This is of no interest whatsoever to non-members of the SCGB - and limited interest for them! Young people should be given every incentive to join - they ain't going to do it any other way! And I should think the backpacks were a free promo. This thread should be moved to the SCGB section in the archives where it belongs.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
cathy, this thread should be moved to the SCGB forum, it doesn't belong on snowHead s at all.
latest report
brian, Interesting Take. Mine is that the posters who persist in conducting SCGB 'business' here don't belong on snowHead s at all.
ski holidays
brian, ah, but the OP can't start a thread there - and I doubt anyone else is going to complain at youngsters being given a free backpack rolling eyes - but yes, I agree!
latest report
Agenterre, thank you. Problem is that David does post about the SCGB here - maybe because he cannot post in the SCGB forum itself. It seemed to me that the best solution was for this thread tod be moved to the SCGB section. Helen did not agree.
snow report
David Goldsmith, Just to really p!ss you off.

If you set up a direct debit, and then move banks not only do you get a free backpack, but the SCGB fail to realise you are no longer paying membership and still keep sending you membership stuff for ever and a day. (acording to my friend)
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy