Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Looking to buy equipment

Poster: A snowHead
I've been skiing for about 3 years now and I'm fairly advanced. I'm at the stage in which I'm ready to buy equipment. I generally like atomic. I'm looking to buy decent equipment. Mid-Top level stuff. What boots and skis would you suggest?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
austin0900, welcome to snowHeads!

The first thing to buy is boots. The best ones to buy are the ones that fit you best. I'd strongly recommend going to a good bootfitter and buying boots off them. They will take the time to fit them correctly for you.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
OK thank you. Now for the skis, I would probably be best off with the size 140 cm and would prefer atomic. What do you suggest?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
austin0900, What budget do you have, how tall are you, how much do you weigh, what kind of runs do you do, do stay on-piste or go off-piste, where have you skied so far, how many weeks/days sking do you have under your belt ?
Do you have access to a snowdome to test a few pairs or are you going sking soon and can test some whilst there?
Which skis have you already used?

The answers to ALL these questions will give the knowledgable snowHead something to base a few recommendations on or it would be as simple as then get a pair of Atomic Intermediate/Advanced skis in a 140 length wink

Boots first though, they are the most important thing to get right.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well I'm not really under a tight budget I just don't want to be spending more than I need to. I'm 5'3, weigh about 107 lbs. I will ski any kind of runs except for moguls. I stay on-piste, I have skied in Ontario and Montreal. I will be skiing for probably 2 months until the season is over. I don't believe that I have a snowdome to test a few pairs. I would like to ski as soon as possible. I'm not sure of the skis I've used as they have all been crummy rentals. I was looking at the atomic G9:M skis, do they seem suitable?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
austin0900, are you based near a ski hill then? If you are then I would think most knowledable types on here would suggest demoing the skis at the hill. Most shops will do this and you get the cost of the rental knocked off the purchase. I'm 5'3" and I ski 154's but I'm a little heavier than you and a girl - don't know about you.
But the best advice is to try before you buy.
I'm sure someone with more specific recommendations will be along shortly but I hope I've been some help! I'm assuming you are not in the uk and it is just gone midnight here so you may have to wait till tomorrow for some more responses.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ps. Have a look up the top of this thread page and you will see a sticky that says ski test reviews 2007. Have a read through that.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ok I've been looking at skis and have decided that 140 would be the size for me, maybe even 144 in some cases.
Since that is a junior size, I've been looking at junior skis.
I'm not sure too much about the difference between each atomic race ski but how does the race 9 sound? or should I even go with the GS 12 skis.
What do you think?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
austin0900, Are you NEVER venturing off piste ? only considering well groomed runs? if so then race skis will be good - but you need to work 'em to get best out of them.

I would be tempted to have a look at skis that are capable of off piste as well as performing well on piste.

search ski reviews, get a good idea of your wants/needs then test those you are interested in. most ski shops will allow you to test before you buy.

BUT - BOOTS FIRST !!!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
well I never ski off piste and don't plan to unless it's the occasional chance.
I need to have an idea of what to try, do you think the race 9s would be a good start?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
austin0900, WHAT NO POWDER SKIING ? Shocked

I have a pair of Atomic race skis (SL12) - they rock at short turn fast stuff. - but ungroomed piste = poo-poo
however i have Atomic Skiercross skis (SX12) for holiday skiing (they do off piste and mid-shin powder - Just)
for serious off piste / heliski (once!) / deep powder days i usually rent some big fat mothers. (to save carrying loadsa skis)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ok as I'm not very knowledgeable about skiing I might have the wrong idea about off piste skiing. What exactly is it?
What are example of places? Is Banff an example?
snow report
 brian
brian
austin0900, anywhere off the groomed trails is "off piste" in eurospeak.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well I'll only be skiing maybe once or twice a year off piste.
What's wrong with race skis when skiing off piste?
ski holidays
 brian
brian
austin0900, potentially nothing. However, in deep snow, a narrow waisted ski designed to be skied on a firm surface is more difficult as it doesn't have the same surface area to help you "float". It's still perfectly possible to ski but requires better technique and more fitness.
snow report
austin0900, I'm honestly not having a go here, but...

austin0900 wrote:
...skiing for about 3 years...advanced...Mid-Top level stuff...never ski off piste...will ski any kind of runs except for moguls...What's wrong with race skis when skiing off piste?...I'm not very knowledgeable about skiing...

...based on what you're saying and the type of questions you're asking, you are over-estimating both your ability and the level of equipment you need. You sound like you'd be better off on lower end kit that will be more foregiving and allow you to develop as a skier.

I'm honestly confused that if all the skis you've used have been "crummy rental ones" why you think Atomic is the brand for you.

The advice being given here is all good advice.

Buy the boots first. Go for the boots that fit, not a specific brand or colour. Find a good boot fitter and go with their advice. Tell them exactly how much experience you have and what you ski. "Advanced" is a terribly vague word and could mean you end up in boots that you won't be able to flex.

Demo different skis. In a range of sizes.

If you are 5'3 then that would put you at 160cm (unless I've messed up the math). 140cm sounds to short. I would have thought that you'd want closer to 150cm skis. The general advice that you want piste skis to be somewhere between your chin and your nose.

Again, if you're used to skiing very short skis then you're unlikely to want mid-top level kit.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy