Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

driving to mayrhofen

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just wondering what a realistic time would be to drive from salzburg airport to mayrhofen village on a mon morning at around 10 am and also if I need to buy any sort of motorway ticket?. Anything useful really as I have never driven in Austria before. I'm guessing snowchains shouldn't be needed in the valley in the first week of March?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ollski, Depending on how fast you drive, around 2-2.5 hours. Coach transfers are listed at 2:45 - 3:00

It is around 1 hour from Innsbruck airport, if you have the option of flying there instead.

And yes, you will need a motorway ticket, in either direction. I'm not sure if they are supplied as standard with hire cars.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My advice for trying to avoid the vignette is this - The Austrian police is on the look out all the time.

I didn't have one when I drove into Zillertal Valley at around 9pm when it was dark and it was a short distance from the German border where I came from. I gambled and was preparing to tell the police if I got caught that I was going into the first or second services tio get it. In the dark and with a short motorway section I got away without it. Thereafter staying inside the valley there was no need to have one.

When I wanted to take the wife to Swarovski HQ at Wattens and treat then treat you to a candle-lit dinner in Innsbruck I wanted a one-day vignette and was told the minimum was 7 days. It suited us so I bought it. Can't remember how much but it was like peanut of few Euro. Vignette is available in any motorway services or shop that sells tobacco.

On the day I finished with Zillertal and moved to Silvretta the police was stopping every car on A12 at a point where the two lanes change to single lane before entering a tunnel. The police waved me away when they saw my vignette. I was fined on the same spot previously on a motorcycle for not having one!

The laws in Austria, AFAIK, is vignette is mandatory if you use the motorways. You should get it with the hired car.

On Autoroute Salzburg to Mayrhofen is 112 miles and can take 2 hour 4 min. Not driven at Mon morning from that direction before but it should be a comfortable 2 hours job. Traffic is normally busy after the junction when the Salzburg and Innsbruck traffic merged into one to Munich.

Zillertal Valley is very large, wide and is densely populated by the Alpine standard, so there are a lot of local residents and traffic. You should have no need to use snow chain on the first flat section up Mayrhofen. This is about the first 20 miles after leaving the Weising junction on A12. After the first 20 miles the road goes uphill into the mountain and snow chain may be "a possibility", say beyond Finkenburg. The snow clearing activities of the valley is very efficient and it is likely the snowchain if needed could only be in the Hintertux end.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy