Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Andorran Slopes compared to other resorts

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey all,

Just back from my 4th trip to Soldeu. Only ever been there and now I have done all the sectors, and on the last day I went down Avet.

My question is - How do these slopes hold up compared to other european resorts and north american? Are the runs quite easy for their grades or about right?

Aiming for Whister next.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think grading is hit and miss across all resorts.

I've been to Andorra twice (soldeu first time, Pas De La Casa second time) and I think the slopes don't seem to differently graded to the resorts I've been to in France and Austria. Maybe half a grade easier, if you could measure it like that.

Having said that there was a red in Soldeu when we skiied over from Pas that I though should have been black, but that was mainly due to the ice.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SharkEnergy, the gradings are supposed to be relative to the resort, so the green runs are the easiest in the resort, and the blacks the most difficult in the resort. In theory, a black in one resort could be the equivalent of a green in another and a blue in a third, and the 3 resorts might be within 20 miles of each other.
When I go to a new resort, I'll normally start off with a few blue runs to get a feel for them, and then decide how I feel the grading is.

...also snow conditions will have a big effect. If you've skiied Andorra and it's been pisted, and you got to Whistler and get powder, the run may be easier cause you're not going as fast (or you may find it harder cause you can't really carve a turn in powder)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
SharkEnergy, the gradings are supposed to be relative to the resort, so the green runs are the easiest in the resort, and the blacks the most difficult in the resort. In theory, a black in one resort could be the equivalent of a green in another and a blue in a third

Ohhh Yessy - I learnt at Pas de La Casa and attacked the "green" run called Verte at Val D'Isere the next year. Imagine my surprise at discovering that it is a narrow, steep icy track for its last section and strewn with bodies of fellow innocents , which makes it much more interesting for the locals to carve around whilst attempting to break their personal best 'top to bottom' times on the last run of the day. However - that's not a dig at Pas - I think 'Verte' is notorious for its capacity to destroy beginners confidence - and whilst VDI does have some tough runs Verte is a complete outlier.

I read once that in some places the grading is for the average difficulty of a run, and in other its for the most difficult bit. How crazy is that? So, I think WTFH is right - try to gauge it yourself to get some idea of relative difficulty - but you'll still get a shock from time to time.... snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy