Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow Depths?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just how much meaning do people attach to Snow Depths given by resorts? If we take the SAIS measurement from the Coire Cas run on Sunday on CairnGorm the depth is 250cm. Very Happy

Do you have any idea where resorts you're watching reports for measure their snow depths, to what extent is it average depths over various sites or is your chosen resort being very selective.

Are these figures of any worth or are they just completely irrelevant to the quality of riding on offer. Discuss.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Above 50-70cm I think they are largely irrelevant for on-piste skiing. Of much greater interest is what the snow condition is, eg icy, hardpack, packed powder, fresh, etc. The condition is closely related to date of last snowfall rather than the depth.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar, I agree. Snow depths can however be useful to compare one year with another and to look at trends through a season. But only if they are honestly recorded and not seen as an adjunct to the marketing dept.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Alan I'd guess snowheads maybe more informed "snow users".

When I was younger, more naiive and not as experienced I used to put a lot of importance on "snow depth", when the only link to the snow was the Ceefax snow depth reports!!

I'd guess other less informed skiers may also pay alot of attention to it.

regards,

Greg
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A three-part report of snowdepth + coverage + snow quality would be the optimum solution.

I am surprised no website has set this up yet.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Winterhighland,

What is SAIS?

I agree that 70+ is all good. However when resorts build up 3m bases, surley that can mean a great end of season?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
johnboy wrote:
when resorts build up 3m bases, surley that can mean a great end of season?

What if the top metre is boilerplate? The time to check snow conditions for end of season skiing is at the end of the season.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:
However when resorts build up 3m bases, surley that can mean a great end of season?

Well, obviously better than a very thin base, but I was surprised that the great depth of snow in April 2006 didn't seem to make a big difference to conditions. At 1500 - 2000m we were skiing, in very warm temperatures, in very springlike conditions despite the huge depths of snow underneath the top few inches we were skiing on. Slope aspect made far more difference than snow depth.

I'm only talking about piste skiing, by the way. I don't know what the impact on off piste would be. I'd be interested to hear from people who do know, though.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
johnboy, SAIS= "Sportscotland Avalanche Information Service"

here is a link to there cairngorm blog:-
http://saisncairngorms.blogspot.com/

There was enough snow today to ski almost anywhere off the top of the goose tow down the the bottom of it. I'm guessing the depths varied from 70cm (to cover some of the larger rocks on the goose) upto several meters in the gully itself. It was reassuring that with such bad visibility at some times today that you weren’t going to hit something unexpected.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Put it this way....in the winter of 98/99 we had 300cm bottom and 500cm at the top in La Plagne for most of the season. It meant that even when it was 17c the conditions stayed superb in the hot april weeks. Then it went really cold again and when the resort closed I think we still had 250cm at the base....happy days...

Off piste there was the most incredible conditions and i'd settle for that every year! Very Happy

pam w, Offpiste conditions make a huge difference when you have massive bases. Coverage for a start. This year is terrible in that respect in Tignes...rocks all over the place and whole spines with no snow due to high winds...when you have a 300cm base it really helps !
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Alex A wrote:
pam w, Offpiste conditions make a huge difference when you have massive bases. Coverage for a start. This year is terrible in that respect in Tignes...rocks all over the place and whole spines with no snow due to high winds...when you have a 300cm base it really helps !
You've got me worried - I'm heading out to the Tarantaise soon to ski off piste. Is the whole area like that?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowball, No, but there has been a lot of high winds, the first 15 days of January were all windy, when I left La Rosiere on Sunday it was blowing hard again.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Definately not irrelevant if you are heading off-piste into the backcountry.
I skied at Mt Baker. WA, yesterday and they have a 190 inch base - 482cms.. Shocked and its only the beginning of Feb!!!! keep it coming La Nina!!!!!!! Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy