Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Summer Skiing in Austria?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looks like i'll be holidaying in Velden am Wörther See in Carinthia in the beginning of Aug ,anyone know if there's any summer/glacier skiing to be had nearby?

Kids (teenagers) not keen on a lake hol in Austria,but as the wife isn't keen on skiing she got first choice on a week in Aug and chose this,have promised the boys that we should be able to sneak off and get a bit of skiing in if we're lucky
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hintertux is the only yearround glacier left in Austria.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
LIAMJ, The closest glacier is Mölltal by Flattach (route 105). It takes 1-2 hours to drive from the Wörther See.
Usually they close it in May, reopen in June, and open as long as possible. It is OK for skiing a day.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
He didn't ask about year round, he asked about the beginning of August rolling eyes

Add Kaprun, Stubai and Soelden at least but I think there are others.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You can also ski at Kaprun on the Kitsteinhorn from July to September. It's not far from Zell am See but it's 2 hours 15 mins and 200km away from Velden am Wörther See. Still closer than 3 hours 50 mins and 280km to Hintertux though.

http://en.kitzsteinhorn.at/summer.htm

Kersh
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
LIAMJ, while it is true that some glaciers are open in August, frankly the skiing is crap at that time of year Crying or Very sad The best of the lot is Hintertux ( which is nowhere near Carinthia! ), but even that only has a couple of runs open and it can be a case of skiing on blue ice if you are unlucky. Of course you can sometimes get a dump in the middle of summer, I skied amazing powder in Stubai in May once, but the chances are that you won't get that and all you see is a very dirty looking glacier with very old snow on it Crying or Very sad
Oh well. Best to do something else in summer, like MTB...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
how is zermatt's glacier in summer?

: - )
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As per kerekip, Mölltal is nearest to Wörthersee, but also agree with Steilhang that there are many other things to do other than ski. I for one would not be bothered with the expense and hassle of one day on a very unsnowy glacier in August.

There's loads to do around the Wörthersee - are your boys interested in cycling/mountainbiking or watersports?

I used to live in Klagenfurt, at the other end of the lake from Velden, you are filling me with nostalgia!

D
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I agree, take the boys mountain biking and they will soon forget about the skiing! In August it probably won't be worth the effort going to try to find some snow. Wörtherseee is absolutely stunning in the summer - really warm water in the lake and they even have beaches of sorts!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tks for the info guys,you're prob right and it doesn't look like it's worth the effort for the amount of skiing available,hopefully the sun will be out and the boys will be to busy water skiing etc to worry about a long drive to non-existent snow

Deliaskis, never been to this part of the world before and normally it wouldn't be a place i'd choose for a summer hol,but the wife won two free flights to vienna in a compt. so have bought the two more for the boys ,going to spend a couple of days in the capital,then get the train down,she's always fancied the european lakes in the summer so off we're going..does look nice from what i can see via the web/pics etc
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy