Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Autannes Ridge Le Tour ski tour route via col du Chardonnet ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Is it possible to get to the Autannes Ridge via the Glacier Orny as a route back down into le Tour after skinning and climbing the Col du Chardonnet ?

Regards Mark
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Topsmoke, by the Autannes Ridge do you mean "les Grandes Autannes" to the NE of Le Tour. I'm sure you've checked the maps, but my 1:25000 (3630 OT) doesn't show any ski routes - looks pretty cliffy!

Are you doing this in a day, or staying in the Trient. If you're doing it in the day the norm would be Chardonnet & Fenetre du Tour, or the 3 cols Chardonnet, Saleina & Tour (or alternatively Col du Midi des Grands - below the aptly named Aig du Pissoir Smile )

Otherwise from the Trient there's a route across the Glacier des Grands & Bron, which then turns NE for a couple of km, then return to la Tour via the Col de Balme
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi,

I am not staying in the Trient so these would be day trips.

Day one plan is the col du Passon classic.

I was hoping to ask for something via col du Chardonnet for day two.

It is the les Grandes Autannes I was thinking of but I can see it's not possible via Orny (completly the wrong way).
The Chardonnet & Fenetre du Tour looks nice as does then through (i take it) the salenia pass and onto the Trient ,cross and down to the col du Balme.

Thanks Smile

Mark
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mark If you've done the Col du Passon first (a great route), the Chardonnet/Fenetre du Tour option would take you back down the S. side of the Glacier du Tour, which would then meet the route you've just done.

However, you would be able to ski a totally different route if you do the Chardonnet & Saleina, then go NW for less than 1km to cross the Col du Tour (3282m) and ski down the NE side of the Gl. du Tour past the Refuge Albert 1'er back to La Tour.

Note you'll probably need a rope to rap. the Chardonnet. The first time I did it there was enough deep snow to boot down, but when I did the HR we had to ab. down (although some do ski it ... Skullie )

PS That's a smile on my face, not a look of fear, honest... wink

ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Topsmoke, Just found this website, (if your French is up to it) detailing masses of tours in the alps - this url is for the Mont Blanc massif area

A great alternative to your second tour would be (starting from the Grand Montets) to bag the Aig. d'Argentière (snow peak - can ski from just below the summit arête) via the Glacier du Milieu, then ski back to Argentière.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Are thats great geoffers thanks for the link,had figured the Fenetre du tour option would just mean coming down the Glacier du Tour to the same point as per col du passon.I think the Saleina option looks very nice and a long 7 hour day should burn the legs nicely Very Happy

Aig d'Argentiere I take it can be done in half day.
Much more reading to be done.

Nice pic in Chardonnet !
Hoping to do the HR myself oneday,

Thanks again,
Much appreciated.

Mark
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Topsmoke,
Quote:
Aig d'Argentiere I take it can be done in half day.
Hmmm, a big 1/2 day depending on your fitness - starting from 2,650m that's 1250m of ascent, compared to 770m up the Chardonnet (which itself is still bl**dy hard work). I must admit I struggled a bit going up, as it was the end of a week's touring round Cham. (based in Cham itself) so we hadn't had the benefit of nights at altitude to fully acclimatise.

If you want some inspiration Pete's (much better) shots from this week are here and mine here...the last shots are up the Aig d'Argentiere: we regretted not lugging the skiis up the final snow slope (before the summit itself) as it would have been an ace descent - too knackered to bother at the time!! It wasn't actually necessary to rope the last bit, but I was going so slowly that Rick tied me on to keep me going... Embarassed
enjoy Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy