Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which country/resort

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi guy's.
I am looking for some info/advice on which resort would be best for me. Me and my family are looking to go on a 2 week skiing holiday for christmas time. We were originally thinking of going to canada, but my sister inlaw and her family live in dubai and it will take to long to travel there. Me and the rest of the family live in Wales UK and so somewhere in Europe will be almost in the middle and not to long for traveling for both parties. We are all begginers/intermediates, so we do not want to go to an advanced resort. We would also like to have a log cabin that would cater for 10 people and we would also like to do other outdoor activities.
Many thanks.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
gav223, Welcome to snowHead

Unusually, your post hasn't had an answer overnight, so I'll have a stab at it. No doubt others will chime in shortly...

If you're interested in a chalet with charm, then you're probably looking at Switzerland or Austria, although it is possible to find them elsewhere if you look hard enough outside of the concrete monstrosities which the French put up in the 60s and 70s.

The key question for you will be which airports you can all get to without too much hassle - the Dubai end will be the limiting factor, as you don't really want to fly from Dubai to London and then fly back to central Europe again. The options then are Zurich, Vienna, Munich, or Milan as far I can see, but you'd need to check on availability. If you were able to hop on from each of the above, you could make it to Innsbruck or Geneva fairly easily, so most of Europe becomes accessible.

For a Christmas trip, you'd want to be near a glacier just in case the coverage was poor. That limits your options somewhat, but its not impossible.

You'll also have to decide whether you want self-catering or a fully catered chalet. Or, if you really mean "log cabin" as in north American style building made from logs stacked on top of each other, you'll be even more limited in where you would find one.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ousekjarr, I disagree with the comment about the glacier.

Personally I'd head to a resort at about 1500/1800m. A glacier isnt neccesary, Ive been away for the past 2 years at christmas without a glacier and even last year it was fine.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Les Arcs/La Plagne. Huge area and most of it is high (1800-2800m) so snow won't Little Angel be an issue. Fly to Geneva? Go for independent catered chalet, put your feet up and let someone else do all the work. Cracking snowHead Cool
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks very much guy's, I really appreciate it. I have had a look at the skiing-europe site and looked at 13 different countries, 2 of the countries I was interested in did not have any information (Switzerland, France). The best country I viewed was Austria, but I am going to have alook at the resorts in Switz and France before I make a decision.
Can you please explain what the difference is by being near a glacier.
Thanks.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
gav223, welcome to snowheads. As a glacier is a large body of ice, it will be more likely to offer skiing even when snow on non-glacier pistes doesn't offer godd enough coverage
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Christopher wrote:
A glacier isnt neccesary, Ive been away for the past 2 years at christmas without a glacier and even last year it was fine.

That might be the case, but surely you're not reaching that conclusion on just two year's experience of skiing at Christmas?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar, true, i'vr been to two resorts with no snowat christmas
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've been skiing for quite a long time, including skiing at Christmas for at least the last decade. I wouldn't want to draw any firm conclusions about the need for a glacier or not based on that experience.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
gav223 wrote:
I have had a look at the skiing-europe site and looked at 13 different countries, 2 of the countries I was interested in did not have any information (Switzerland, France).
Thanks.

Not much cop as a skiing website as I reckon France & Switzerland are to our of 3 of the most visited countries for skiing by british tourists with austria making up the 3rd although not neccessarily in that order. I'd suggest you look at http://www.ifyouski.com/resorts/ and have a read of http://www.amazon.co.uk/Where-Snowboard-2008-Chris-Gill/dp/0953637190/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=gateway&qid=1202250397&sr=8-1&tag=amz07b-21

Actually I wonder what is the order? - I'd hazzard a guess at

France
Austria
Italy
Switzerland
US
Canada
Germany
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi guy's i've taken onboard your advice about resort altitude, but I have also been looking for the total amount of pistes lengths in km. I've looked at st anton, which says it has 260km, which is a lot compared to some, but the reviews for it are bad. Are there any other things I should be looking for. By the way that other site is much better.
Cheers.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ST anton is one of the most hioghly regarded resorts in the world, not only for skiing but also for aprés ski. I wonder whic reviews you are reading? I do accept though that it may be that it isn;t suitable for beginners / intermediates, it's been a fair while since I've had to take that into account
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy