Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Instructors in Morzine

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'll be out in Morzine at the beginning of March, and fancy getting a few hours of private tuition, so that someone can cast an expert eye over my (rather average) ski technique.

During my 'Google-ing' I came across BASS (British Alpine Ski & Snowboard School) which runs a school in Morzine. Does anyone have any experience of these guys - and if so, any particular recommendations re. instructors?

Any other recommendations are happily received

Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jonflat2, I trained with BASS Morzine last year and know the guys well. If you can tell me your age and what you'd like to do then I can recommend the best instructor for you.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jonflat2, I used BASS Morzine 2 years ago and they were excellent - booked online. Although I'm sure PhillipStanton will give a far more detailed/knowledgable recommendation than I ever could based on his interaction with them Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks PhillipStanton.

I'm 30. I guess you'd call me an intermediate skier - ski mainly Blues/Reds (no bumps!)

I guess what I'm really after is someone to cast an eye over my technique in general. It's been a while since I had any real amount of instruction, and I've very much hit an 'intermediate plateau'.

I guess if I had to pinpoint areas that I'm particularly working on at the moment, it would be trying get my carving right (on moderate slopes I feel as though I've got it - but on steeper slopes it tends to go to pot) - and I've also started experimenting with some (easy) off-piste.

It would also be nice to feel more confident in a wider range of conditions. On a smooth groomed slopes, I'm 'Mr Confident' - but stick me on a cut-up, bumpy slope at the end of the day, and my technique (and ego) crumbles. Sad
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
In truth, any of them will work for you on that stuff. I'd suggest either doing a focussed carving session or a "look at my skiing and give me some exercises that I can go away and work on" session.

If you want to do specific carving session, then ask for Dani (ex-racer) or Ricey (has done his Eurotest).

If you want approach it in the spirit of "look at my skiing and give me some exercises that I can go away and work on" then I'd suggest going asking for one of (BASI) trainers - Jaz, Becci, Elaine or Andy.

jonflat2 wrote:
...stick me on a cut-up, bumpy slope at the end of the day, and my technique (and ego) crumbles.

You and me both wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've only had lessons with 2 of BASS's instructors, Danni & Kevin. (Techniques & Tactics course - either 2x3hrs or 3x2hrs)

Impressions / opinions:

Danni was more fun, and the lessons less structured. Learning through play? Puzzled Anyway - she had us do things like give her poles, she skied down the slope (the black on Chamossiere Shocked ) and then we all skied down while copying what she was doing with her arms - and she was, well, semaphore signalling.

Kevin had his syllabus and we followed it. Balance exercises, skiing on one leg, turning on one ski, thinking about where in the turn you pressure the ski, pole plants, skating, skiing switch.

I think I learned as much with both. But I had more fun learning it with Danni, but understand why we do what we (try to) do better with Kevin.

Had excellent service from Jules in the Office and Becci.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
doctor_eeyore - you should see Dani with kids!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy