Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help - first time skiing - Chamonix or La Plagne Les Coches?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have been co-erced into a skiing holiday with some friends. I have only skied a few times before and am pretty much a new starter, although keen.

We have two options - a fab apartment in Chamonix or an apartment at Les Coches.

Which would be better for beginners please. We are off at the end of March so will there be snow in both places do you think?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sarahlou - don't think chamonix is the best place to learn even though le tour has a good learning area and les hoches has some nice runs. Chamonix lively town/ stunning scenery/ renowned for advanced/expert off piste skiing. IMHO skiing is not that convenient for someone committing to ski schoolLa plagne generally quite a good place to learn. can't comment on les coches as being the best area for beginners in la plagne
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Les Coches will probably suit you much better as a novice skier, unless you are after heavy nightlife. Chamonix is fantastic if you are a good skier in search of guided off-piste.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Chamonix has some excellent facilities for beginners, there are 5 specific valley bottom beginners areas plus Le Tour is great when you start to improve. One issue may be that late march the valley bottom areas may be in poor condition.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SarahLou, I'd opt for Les Coches, because you can easily get to the snow up top if the conditions are not great, and there are easy slopes, good slopes for progressing, and some good ski tuition available (the last point being the most important; don't let your friends talk you into not having proper lessons!).

It is very often the case that the valley in Chamonix has little snow by late March - and it will be much harder for you to meet up with your friends in Chamonix. Le Tour is fine, but it's a hell of a long way up the valley (and last time I went there the lift queues were absolutely grim, although it was very low season - mid Jan, and terrible snow as it happens!).
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for these details. Someone at work has told me that as Les Coches is the lowest resort at La Plagne , it will not be worth going to at the end of March, if we are havng beginners lessons, because it will be too low. I'm so confused now...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SarahLou, Les Coches is fairly low 1250, but Chamonix is significantly lower. And from Les Coches you have easier access up the hill if conditions on the slow slopes are poor (which they might be). If your possible accommodation in Les Coches is near easy uplift to higher slopes, I still think it will be better than slopping around on the grass in the bottom of the Chamonix Valley or trekking a long way to Le Tour, especially if you don't have a car in resort. But I don't know Les Coches itself - worth waiting for someone who could give you more local knowledge of your accommodation vis a vis the lifts. Beginner lessons don't have to be in Les Coches; there are great beginner areas in Plagne Central.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w wrote:
SarahLou, Les Coches is fairly low 1250, but Chamonix is significantly lower. And from Les Coches you have easier access up the hill if conditions on the slow slopes are poor (which they might be). If your possible accommodation in Les Coches is near easy uplift to higher slopes, I still think it will be better than slopping around on the grass in the bottom of the Chamonix Valley or trekking a long way to Le Tour, especially if you don't have a car in resort. But I don't know Les Coches itself - worth waiting for someone who could give you more local knowledge of your accommodation vis a vis the lifts. Beginner lessons don't have to be in Les Coches; there are great beginner areas in Plagne Central.

This is very much my view. I think there'll be snow in les coches the way the snow is at present
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
But why do you only have those options - why not go higher at La Plagne?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Possibly because I learned skiing in Chamonix I think it can be a good starting place as indicated by dan100 and jbob.

Chamonix Valley starts at level above 1000m. The 5 beginner areas, in the order of entering into the valley

Les Bossons (could have disappeared as not seeing it being advertised)
La Planard (walking distance from Chamnix town)
La Savoy (bottom of Brevent resort)
Les Chosalets (bottom of Grands Montets resort)
La Vomaine (also loosely called Le Tour at bottom of Col de Balme/Vollorcine resort)

These little resorts each has only 3 to 4 lifts and 3 to 4 runs easy for the first timers. La Vomaine at 1462m has a huge area and is a pure beginner area.

Larger resorts like Les Houches and La Flegere, linked with Brevent, also have green slopes.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w, Les Coches is 1450. Montchavin is 1250 snowHead Go Les Coches. Good area to learn in Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy