Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Man dies after crashing while riding mattress down ski slope

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A British man has been killed in a bizarre accident in an Italian ski resort, according to the Foreign and Commonwealth office. David Monk, 46, died when he crashed into a barrier on the side of a piste while sliding down a slope on a "rubber mattress".
...Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/02/03/wmattress103.xml
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=35883#846558

Why bizarre?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
bh1, To most people skiing is about coming down the slopes on skis or a snowboard so a 'rubber matress' might seem bizarre Confused snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
thefatcontroller, Oh, I didn't realise that he was skiing.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
bh1, Sorry he wasn't. What I meant to anyone reading about the accident the concept of someone coming down the slope on an orange matress may seem 'bizarre' rolling eyes . Either way hes dead and I am sure there is a grieving family out there whoes father, brtoher, uncle...went on a fun skiing holiday and ain't coming back, that the horrid bit Sad
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Is this like the thing they where doing on that slightly ski related programme on bbc 2 on sunday? My deepest sympathy to the family and all involved
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ordhan wrote:
Is this like the thing they where doing on that slightly ski related programme on bbc 2 on sunday? My deepest sympathy to the family and all involved

We saw that too. We thought the guy was completely crazy and wondered how he could get away without cracked ribs!

Deepest sympathies to the family too. It's horrible to lose a loved one suddenly like that.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sounds like a variant rubber tubing (or rubber tubbing as the French often call it) which used to be a staple of Tour Operator apres skis fayre. Crystal certainly banned it after a client came down a piste in one of the Savoie resorts (I'm thinking la Tania or somewhere) and crashed through the front window of the bakery - gives a whole new meaning of "Pain" (bread).

http://video.google.com/url?docid=1876991106435044894

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 4-02-08 14:21; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
davidof, best pun ever. Nice work.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
What really is bizzarre is the way some people look at Skiing or snowboarding as 'Serious' and therefore worthy of safety measures while something like toboganning, inner-tubing or the activity above as 'a bit of fun' and therefore less dangerous.

A friend of mine once took the opportunity to jump on his skis on Primrose Hill in Hampstead after a rare snowfall. Naturally the place was teaming in people on sledges, ranging from bin-liners to 'Porche's latest model darling' all hurtling down the hill with little or no control.
My friend was confronted by some form of park gestapo and told he may not ski here because it was dangerous. Explaining that he had far more control than a sledge (or a bin-liner) came to nought so my friend pointed out that if he had no control, he should be easy enough to catch and left.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The incident reortrd here was a group of people after a drinking session decided to strip off the safety rubber mattress crushsioning the metal obstructions or rails at the bottom of a piste. They used it to ride down the piste in a group of 4 in midnight.

The removal of the crushioning rubber mattress exposed the metal objects as a saftey hazard to the piste users if they return in the morning to the run. The perpetrators happened to be at the receiving end of their own act.

If it were bizzare then the diseased removed the very safety mattress provided originally to save him from suffering a serious injury off such impact.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Toboganning can certainly be as dangerous as skiing/boarding but is also a huge amount of fun. I don't think anyone here is saying that it's any less 'serious' safety wise. What is silly is doing it while pissed and taking away safety matting (if this is the case?). What is also worth considering while on the subject of alcohol - what about all the hordes of skiiers who tank up at lunchtime and merrily ski off for the afternoon?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ha absolutely lou, tragic as the story is what a bloody stupid thing to do, still thats beer for you? speaking of stupid things in my first season heard about one of the other reps in resort who cut down the orange safety mattresses whilst running a bum-boarding session for a school! then the silly cow sent (or allowed?) some kids on it! the results were not nearly as bad but still several broken bones and a well-deserved law suit...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Welcome to snowHeads the_doc, snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy