Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How many calories to ski?

Poster: A snowHead
So I've been trying to eat more healthily and been doing some exercise to try and lose a bit of weight. I don't want things to go to pot while I away. So how many calories should you eat if doing 2-3 hours gentle skiing each day with general pottering around snowballs, sledging etc. in between.

Sorry if this should be in BZK - difficult call.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Megamum, If I was you I would be more worried about building up your Liver ready for the E0SB Toofy Grin
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Try Milk Thistle for liver regeneration.
Sounds like your skiing holiday is less energetic than chasing around after a load of goats. I have a friend who has a calorie counting watch, it monitors her heart rate and displays calories used thro the day, your intake is then adjusted accordingly, she is quite thin and totally crackers.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Megamum, Using the Grunt Futtocks scale of calorie counting; where i full days skiing = three square a day+ 1 chocolate fondue. Factoring in your 2-3 hours, using advance algebrs and allowing for a slight westerly wind- EAT AS MUCH AS YOU LIKE! Laughing

Enjoy your trip and worry about the waist line on your returm
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Megamum, at the bootcamp/PSB trip last year I gained ½ a stone and lost more than an inch off my waist
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Masque, Shocked
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Megamum, I have to say that I simply cannot eat enough when I'm skiing (or drink enough, for that matter) to keep my weight. Despite cereal, a full fry-up breakfast and extra bread, a good lunch and a three course evening meal stuffed with cheese and grease and puddings, plus cake, vin chaud, chocolat chaud, wine and lots of other stuff, I usually lose weight or at best keep the same.

Having said that, it does depend on how hard you work when skiing. I'd say that at the start it is very hard work as you are completely tense all over, and find all the movements difficulty. It then gets easier, but then gets harder again as you try to go faster/ski steeper/do bumps/ski powder. Then there is the Mr DS factor, otherwise known as skiing as much as possible as fast as possible from first lift to last lift every day, with one short break and no coffee/tea stops.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Could this be simplified to putting calories in when you need them, rather than trying to quantify the calorific requirements?

You could eat .75kg of marshmallows to get 2,500kcal (more than enough), but that wouldn't really help even though there's almost no fat in them.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I am aware that I eat more than I do at home, but I wonder if this is because I think I need to rather than because I actually need the extra calories to balance the energy expended. Is skiing really energetic or am I kidding myself just so I can eat more? My problem you see is that I like my grub Embarassed
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Megamum,

I find that i can pretty much eat whatever i like and how ever much i like when i ski and never gain weight.

Like docsquid, the last time i went away i lost a few pounds - despite eating croissants and baguettes for Breakfast, pizza/burgers and chips for lunch, cake and chocolate in the afternoon and a 4 course meal in the evening.

A few weeks ago i went to France for the weekend and wore a heart rate monitor for one day. Despite not skiing particularly hard that day, the machine reckoned that i had burned about 5000 calories. Add this to the 2000 that you need to stay alive and keep warm and I'd say you can probably eat whatever you like when skiing. Plus your muscles will be craving the food.

If you take it really easy and only do a few easy hours a day, i'd still reckon you're getting through a good 2500 calories.

Obviously i'm not an expert in such matters and the above is based only on the opinions of a fairly clueless exercise freak.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My experience is exactly like docsquid's and magic_hat's.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The cold weather uses up more calories too.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Megamum, if you're worried about too many hot chocolates, just take several layers of clothes off. Your body will then use a higher proportion of your energy intake to keep warm. Then you'll need more hot chocs, and therefore to take more clothes off. Just keep the boots on. Like those saucy postcards they have in all ski resorts. They have to be white boots, mind you. wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w, cunning, and drink cold beer at night so that your body will have to use calories to maintain its core temperature.
ski holidays
magic_hat, We did a week in Les Arcs in Jan and I ate like a pig (a diet very similar to yours Toofy Grin ) and put no weight on. I was actually surprised (nicely) when we got back as I was a little worried but not an ounce has been gained Cool
latest report
Megamom -- Without skiing, you probably need about 1500 calories max per day.

Add on roughly 400 calories per actual hour gently-skied.

I would say you need circa 2.5k calories per day.

That is a healthy sandwich, a lowfat pasta meal, some fruit, a biscuit and only water per day.

Good luck.
ski holidays
Whitegold,
Quote:

a healthy sandwich, a lowfat pasta meal, some fruit, a biscuit and only water per day.

Adding up to 4,000 calories? I don't think so!
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
Whitegold,
Quote:

a healthy sandwich, a lowfat pasta meal, some fruit, a biscuit and only water per day.

Adding up to 4,000 calories? I don't think so!

Do the math.

2.5k is the total.

1.5k + 1k'ish extra.
snow conditions
Hurtle, I think he was only aiming at 2500 total (1500 + the skiing) not 2500 plus the skiing calories.

Edit: Yes I thought so. He got back with the math before I did.
snow conditions
Years ago when I was relativly speaking fitter, I lost a stone on a two week ski holiday, skiing an average of perhaps 5 or 6 hours per day with a couple of days off, eating a good breakfast, boiled egg, bread, croisant (sp?) and jam, a typical mountain lunch with a big bowl of soup and bread or sausage and rosti, and a 5 course evening meal plus occasional snacks etc
snow conditions
Megamum, 2-3 hours gentle skiing ........ Come on! 6-7 of hard core pushing the envelope!

The diet we swear by is:

Morning - porridge with honey, fresh cut banana & apple/pear _ Large coffee
Throughout day - sugar syrup fruit squash (not sugar free), mixed nuts, mixed dry fruit, dark chocolate
End of day - 2 pints & maybe a cheeky cigarette
Early evening - Freshly cut saucisson, cheese, tomatoes and bread. Milk and fruit juice
Evening meal - standard dinners although we generally have spag bol twice during the week. Beer
After dinner - Yogurts, ice cream and green tea with honey and lemon!

I always feel really healthy throughout and certainly after the holiday, if you are taking it fairly easy then just have small portions of the above!

I'm not so convinced about breakfast followed by no food till a mid afternoon lunch standard and prefer skipping that time consuming lunch. I did lunches this year because that is what the group I was skiing with did but to be honest in the afternoon I just turned into bloated farting westerner on a hill! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Megamum, Depends on how many you need to maintain your weight at the moment, and what exercise you won't be doing when you go away - and as has been pointed out, how tense/energetically/continuously you plan on skiing - presumably you are aiming to maintain while away not lose as you could find yourself struggling to keep the legs working properly. If you overeat by 3000kcal you will gain a pound so if you put in 500kcal per day that you don't burn off that will be 1 lb per week gained. I would reckon as a rough guess that 2000-2500kcal per day should meet the output on skiing days- tho if you have been losing then increase intake you may well see a rise that will disappear once you get home and are a bit more frugal again.
Just remember the amnesiac effect on intake that alcohol tends to have Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Lost 5lbs at the PSB in October, and just managed to lose another 5lbs on our Saalbach / Radstadt jaunt last week. If only I could go skiing every week Wink
snow report
Megamum, Remember the adage, (it works for me)...if you put weight on fast it will come off fast once you stop eating too much.

Might not work for you but it's a good excuse. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
how many calories in wiessbier.....
snow conditions
Megamum, for a week there really is no point in trying to balance your calories in an out. Just make sure you eat plenty so that you get enough calories and don't worry if you get some extra. If you eat a lot of carbs rather than fatty foods you're unlikely to put on a lot of weight in the week, so just enjoy yourself - you're on holiday Very Happy
snow conditions
Tartiflette for dinner every night should ensure you are correctly fuelled for the following days skiing!

I'm having some tonight to get ready for my trip to the alps in 3 weeks time Smile
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy