Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Meribel via ski train & other Meribel handy tips

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just got back and wanted to pass on my knowledge

1. Ski train that gets into Moutiers at 08:02 Saturday morning misses the 08:00 bus from the bus depot alongside the train station. The next bus is at 10:45. But do not panic. The taxi's up the mountain appear to cost the same as the bus (€12.50 per person) just buddy up with other stranded frustrated skiers and you are off.

2. Meribel and its surrounds is damn expensive at €6 for a 500cl beer. If you can get organised and are staying at an apartment it may be worth getting off the train, miss the bus as per tip 1, walk under the platform tunnel away from the train station building, exit on the road alongside platform A. To the Left you will see a supermarket called APAX which sells half decent 33cl cans of 4.6% beer at 22cents. Yes that is 66 cents per litre as opposed to €12 in the bars. You can then get you taxi up the hill and stock up your fridge. Cans in Meribel supermarkets are about €1.40 for 500cl. In bars they like you to buy jugs - it does not save you money as they are just 1 litre and the glasses look like pints but are 500cl!

3. Note that Meribel is located on a hill - so you will be walking up and and down them for the bars.

4. Generally I did not find the bars that great although bands were generally excellent in Le Pub and Scotts bar. Once again the cost of the beers!!!!! I found the resort fairly unpretentious compared to Val d'isere but in VDI you can drink much cheaper if you know where to go.

5. Worth blagging a discount on the beers? If you look the part ask "do you discount for sessionaires" normally is enough. If they ask "where do you work?" a vague "I'm not - just saved up to pay my apartment and ski pass". But do not wear a shirt with collars and cuffs - all sessionaires generally where t-shirts or dress 'laid back'. But have a go anyway - why should anyone pay more than €4 for a large beer?

6. You may hear about Ronnies on Rond Pont apres ski up the piste. Again beer prices are too expensive. Band does not come on til 5pm, happy hour is 4-5pm. Happy means €5 per 500cl amstal (more like mildly amusing).

7. Wifi - free in Ronnies and La Tavernne but as soon as you get people moving around it disconnects. Also free in Scotts but you need to buy a drink and get password.

8. For reliable insider knowledge and a general fixer, I can highly recommend Rob Smart on Meribel unplugged. http://www.meribel-unplugged.co.uk/bpmer.htm
Absolute top fella, helped me get an apartment and others I spoke to.

9. Ronnies crowd surfing. Seems to be a bit a laugh with people jumping up and surfing the crowd. Personally I saw two people being thrown to where no one was ready to carry them and they ended up on the floor head first. Is dangerous and could really make it a bad day for you.

10. There is a disco carriage on the ski train but it really does not live up to the hype. Personally suggest you have a few beers (at its bar or take your own) and hit the couchet at 11pm/ midnight so you can ski next day. SATURDAY IS THE BEST DAY TO SKI THERE AS IT IS TRANSFER DAY! You can also get a direct train - non stop paris - but it is just seats. Better with the couchet I think.

Thats all for now.

Kieran.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 3-02-08 23:35; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Did you ski at all? Was it fun?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yeap skiied all areas of all three valleys. Although for €44 per day ski/lift pass I thought the piste where under prepared - I like a nice ribbed piste but rarely found any. Also I think the lifts are not as good as Val d'isere but are the same price. Fun??? I was one of the nuns !
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy