Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Menuires - lift passes/lessons?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I feel such a newbie, but hope you don't mind. We're just about fixed up for a week's skiing at Les Menuires and partner and I are pretty much beginners and daughter (14) is intermediate. We're all going to have lessons. Should I book lessons and ski passes through First Choice, or arrange them separately. Thanks so much to anyone who replies.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you book them via first choice you will probably be in a largish group (10-12) that will on the face of it appear 'cheaper' for the week but you may learn less than on a 1-2-1 lesson. On the plus side you normally end up hanging around with these other beginners in the bars for the apres ski etc. Personally, I would suggest all beginners to get to resort and find a tutor for an hour (or maybe 2 hours) and see how you go.

I would also suggest that new skiers start on very tiny ski's (maybe known as 'blades' or 'fat boys') these are about 2' to 3' long so that you will be moving on the snow and in control within 10 mins. Turning will be easy. If you like it and you want speed and stability perhaps move up to longer skis. Also do no forget that skiing is not just about skiing, it also has the beautiful views, apres ski bars, people watching, sun bathing, shopping, feeling of well being and it all being a good laugh.

...and while I'm there, generally I have found that men hate skiing for the first 3 days then love it, (usually for the speed) and their only problem is getting the time and money sorted for next year. Women make steady progress all week then either love it or not that bothered.

...and lastly, for first timers do some leg strengthening exercises before you go. Beginners tend to fight the mountain rather than use technic and gravity!

Have a great time.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kezzy1966 wrote:

I would also suggest that new skiers start on very tiny ski's (maybe known as 'blades' or 'fat boys') these are about 2' to 3' long so that you will be moving on the snow and in control within 10 mins. Turning will be easy. If you like it and you want speed and stability perhaps move up to longer skis. Also do no forget that skiing is not just about skiing, it also has the beautiful views, apres ski bars, people watching, sun bathing, shopping, feeling of well being and it all being a good laugh.

is that meant as a joke?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
No joke. In my experience I have seen too many injuries from beginners not able to handle the larger skis especially on pistes that are not well groomed. I was chatting to a beginner in Ronnies bar who had snapped her cruciate on her second day. It would have been very difficult to do that if she had short skis.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
No a teaching technique I've ever come across for beginners but happy to stand corrected by anyone who is an instructor (maybe you are?). I used to be an instructor on a dry slope so don't really know myself.

I guess it's the "in control within 10 mins. Turning will be easy." bit that sounds odd to me - my general experience of "bladers" is that they tend to exhibit a serious lack of control. I would also be wary of placing a complete beginner on blades if there was a hint of ice etc.. before they've learnt basic control. I understand that some people advocate blades as a good teaching tool for further down the line but I've never heard of it for complete beginners. Interesting to know what an instructor would say if you turned up to your first lesson in them though.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy