Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to go in Canada ?

Poster: A snowHead
We fancy 2 weeks in Canada from December 20th, family of intermediate skiers, any recommendations without making the bank manager to nervous Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well, I spent almost two weeks in Whistler before Christmas this year and last. Fantastic both times, not sure what it's like at Christmas though.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Would have thought Whistler, probably busy with it being holiday season but still fun Smile
Would have thought Banff would be too cold at that time of year and pretty short days too wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Whistler has been fantastic the last 2 Xmas's. the year before was terrible though, we had a high freezing level, and nothing but rain in the village (although the alpine was still nice). also its pretty crowded that time of year. Still, a lot of other resorts can be marginal at that time of year. Overall I would say Whistler is a good choice, but I am biased since I live here.

If you really are intermediate, and not looking for anything hard core, I would suggest looking into Big White, a nice family resort, where almost everyone lives ski in - ski out. not too bad price wise. not sure about snow conditions at xmas time though.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Whistler is a fabulous resort, if you can afford it and don;t mind it being busy then that should be your number one choice. If you want avoicd crwods then maybe look at some of the BC interior resorts, maybe thing about a 2 centre trip if you're out for two weeks - Fernie and Panorama or kicking horse if you want push yourselves, Big white and silver star if you're looking for somehting less demanding. I've done the fernie / panorama / kicking horse roadtrip and had great fun, the BW/SS trip is stillon the "future trips" card.

And then of course there's the Banff area with Norquay (small but we had the best day of skiing there with plenty of fresh powder and no queues, an excellent location to learn to ski powder), Lake Louise and Sunshine. We were there in feb / march so can't copmment on the temperatures.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
provenjohn,

Been to Banff/ Lake Louise in mid December. Temps were mostly OK. Typically -8. Coldest day was about -12. However did get down to -30 one night. Snow guaranteed.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
provenjohn, I did Banff for New Year in 2005/6 and had a great time. Snow was great at Sunshine and reasonable at Lake Louise and Norquay. It was not too cold when we were there but as stated above it has the potential to get frighteningly cold at that time of year. Someone has mentioned "length of days" as a problem, this is not the case at all.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
provenjohn, I shouldn't worry about the cold. I've been to Banff/LL in Feb, which is a pretty chilly month there, and it was indeed bloody freezing on some days. You can always buy warm kit there (if you don't have it already), as the place is well geared up to low temps. Even Canadians feel the cold (despite the lifties stripping down to their T shirts at about -18 and complaining about the heat). Decent undies, a neoprene mask and away you go (outer clothing as well, obviously). You're never too far from a lodge in Banff or LL (or the other resorts I've visited in Canada) to take on warming beverages. Just remember not to lick bits of metal, however tempting it might seem.

The skiing in Banff/LL should suit you well, and Banff is a great place to stay, especially en famille. LL is very, very quiet, probably not ideal for a family.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you have sky try watching skiers world on the travel channel at 9 pm on a tues (repeated often), its a canadian program and they are usually having a look at some smaller canadian resorts most weeks.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks all Madeye-Smiley Will get down to some research
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Consider the American Rockies as well. Smile
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've been a couple of times to Whistler at Xmas and once for New Year. It's definitely busier at Christmas, from what I remember, but the real crowds arrive from the 27th December in the run up to New Year. These days I would rather avoid that time of year in Whistler in favour of just before or after but I guess we've been spoilt by the quietness of January (excluding Martin Luther King weekend!) If you book lessons then you get to skip the lift lines. I have to add that Whistler is a top-notch resort and we love it and keep going back.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Whistler is you're best bet for snow and fun pre-Xmas - I ski there pretty much every year in November in great conditions.

Interior resorts like Big White can be patchy in early season - usually ok but not reliable like Whistler. They'll be snow at Lake Louise/Sunshine, but a lot of it will be man-made and you'll be unlikely to get big dumps at that time of year. And it can be very cold (but so can Whistler).

Also lots of options in the USA ...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fernie has some gentle slopes and a good family atmosphere on the hill. Most of the slopes are steeper but in good snow, many of the blue runs are easier to negotiate. The snow at Xmas was pretty good and it was fantastic over New Year.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Been to Banff and Whistler- family of 4- both resorts I found fine for intermediate skiing.

Banff- great place to stay, quite affordable. Lots of family friendly places to eat out. However, a travel to the slopes (Sunshine and Lake Louise), was pleased we had own transport.

Whistler-again good place to stay. Handy, regular bus service to pistes from practically anywhere in village. Lots of eating places but very expensive compared to Banff.
latest report
Family of intermediates - go to somewhere you can get the best package deal to which almost certainly won't be Whistler but might be Banff, Fernie, Panorama etc. Caution re Kimberley - may be right up your street but you might find it a bit small.

At that time of year though you're still betting on when & where the big snow will come but holding off until into November before booking might not be a practical option for you.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy