Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tuning q: Steeper edge angles - what're the drawbacks?

Poster: A snowHead
DaveC,

I'm not saying that at all
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The downsides are quicker dulling edges (although Spyderjon hasn't found this), as a result more frequent honing (and metal removal) required, more sidewall removal needed for 3 as opposed to 2, most tuning shops are set up for 2 side and therefore unless you get a sympathetic tech who will change the machine just for you it will negate your setup, 3 as opposed to 2 won't make you ski any better............

But hey - it's your skis so do what you will.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, I asked because I have my own tuning setup. It's not like diamond stones take off much metal, or running them down the edges every few days is any great worry since I'm waxing them that often anyway...

But yeah, thanks for the interesting thread Smile
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
veeeight wrote:
The downsides are quicker dulling edges ...

Presuming that you meant to add (IMHO) in that statement Wink , what are the mechanics that would dull a 3 degree edge quicker than a 2 degree edge? The difference of the internal angle of the edges is not that great - the internal angle of the edge is 89 degrees for a 2 degree edge and 88 degrees for a 3 degree edge (assuming a 1 degree base angle).

DaveC, I agree, an interesting thread this - thanks to all so far. Incidently, I thought I'd check to see how much metal is shaved off to get to a 3 degree edge from a 2. At the maximum point 0.035 mm of metal is removed.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ray Zorro wrote:
....Incidently, I thought I'd check to see how much metal is shaved off to get to a 3 degree edge from a 2. At the maximum point 0.035 mm of metal is removed.

Cool
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
veeeight wrote:
....... most tuning shops are set up for 2 side and therefore unless you get a sympathetic tech who will change the machine just for you it will negate your setup

Agreed, although there's as many shops in Europe set-up for a 1 & I've come across a few that tune to 0. BTW, I've assumed from the start of this thread that this discussion has only been applicable to those that tune their own skis.

veeeight wrote:
.......3 as opposed to 2 won't make you ski any better.........

we'll agreed to disagree re the wear issue but surely a 3 will give you more bite than a 2 if the exact same technique is applied so while this won't improve your technique it could help in a tricky situation, especially for those who don't have your high level skills that you can instantly apply. A bit more grip could just be the difference between staying upright or not.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

A bit more grip could just be the difference between staying upright or not.

Staying well balanced could just be the difference between staying upright or not NehNeh Let's face it, there ain't many sH's on here that achieve the speeds, G-forces, high edge angles of a Europa cup racer. In most situations a 1,1 is plenty.

I don't doubt that 3orhigher as opposed to 2 will give you more grip on the right skier on boilerplate conditions, but for the most it's kinda re-arraging the deckchairs on the Titanic.............. A very highly skilled skier that can achieve high edge angles on their skis will notice a difference in grip on boilerplate under those conditions.

My gaffa, who has just completed the annual Peak to Valley race (180 GS gates) who was in the top 10, ski'd it with a 1,1 setup. It ain't the equipment that will necessarily make you a better skier, or hold a better edge.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 5-02-08 16:17; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
veeeight wrote:
I don't doubt that 3orhigher as opposed to 2 will give you more grip on the right skier on boilerplate conditions, but for the most it's kinda re-arraging the deckchairs on the Titanic.............. .

Smile

I guess one thing I've found from snowheads is that there are endless opportunities to tweak your kit, and also then "blame" it for your poor skiing, rather than blaming your poor skiing.........

Puzzled Twisted Evil
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I use 0.5 and 3. Definitely noticed an improvement on my dryslope slalom skis when moving from 2 to 3. Maybe dulls a bit quicker, but since you can notice the edge going after 3-4 runs on the matting and they're pretty dull after 1hour it's not really an issue. The bigger issue is how keen I am on getting them sharp for the beginning of the session.

3 side is probably a bit OTT for my off-piste skis, but rock hits etc are going to have a way greater effect on the edge than any angle-related dulling, and they've not got brilliant grip to start with, so any help there on the rare occasions I do get onto a hard piste is a definite benefit - but principally it's that I can't be bothered to get a different file guide.

JT, listen to spyderjon this time...you are talking bullocks. The only time higher angles are going to result in significant loss of metal is if you decide to change them every time you tune - in which case you deserve what you get.

Tuning your edges is dead easy, so get your own gear and get on with it. The biggest problem is if you get a file guide that doesn't have a good flat to run up along the base to give you a reference. There are some with rollers that don't go across the whole width of the plate. Before I fixed on a single angle set across everything I felt I needed a variable angle guide so got one of these. My experience is that this type is useless, soon gets to a point where it's flopping all over the place, and does remove a huge amount of metal. Get a single angle guide and croc clip and that sticks to a consistent angle fine. Full works (1ea guide, file, stone, 300g wax, with maybe a ceramic or gummi thrown in) costs about £50, i.e. about 2 services from S&R, and you're set for about 40 tunes. (Maybe an iron would push it up a bit). Sounds a much better deal to me.

Must go now and sort my own now for tomorrow's training session.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
DaveC,

Surely you're in Fernie where this season edges are irrelevant ( or is another liquid based precipitation event in the offing?)

I have no opinion on edge angles besides knowing mine are in very poor shape but I know a well tuned ski does feel nice.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
GrahamN,

How can it be bullox...? both agreed that they would have to take more metal away initially ( that exact use of words ..with the confiormation of 'exactly' by Jon) to get away from 1.1 and then they just try to keep it at that angle. That is assumng they are shipped like that.
So in simple terms, if you have a cake and cut a bit off to get it the right shape...or whatever...you will then be left with less cake to divide up.
So you think you can take metal away...however small ..and still be able to slice it the same......??? yep, sounds like bullox to me..!!!
You use the word 'significant', I don't. Variables would be the type of file used etc.

My main take on this is that you need to keep it simple and consistant above all else.....and to keep it this precise because it serves your purpose takes a lot of work. How much benefit you'd get free-skiing.... well, I wouldn't go there..

AFAIK, none of the protaganists do it for gates, maybe they can enlighten us.... and maybe a few before and after pics wouldn't go amiss..
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
JT, you're miss-quoting me. My comment of "exactly" was in response to Foxy's confirmation that the metal removal is NOT from the 'tip width' & so doesn't effect wear. See Ray Zorro's post above re the amount of metal removed - but note that this metal is from the top of the side edge NOT the lower edge/tip engagement area - & there's plenty of 'cake' in that area that will never be needed again. Assuming a 1,3 is equally durable then once set there's no additional metal removed to keep it in tune than there would be from a 1,1 or 1,2. Plus one of the benefits of hand tuning is the ability to keep the edge in shape with just a diamond stone(s) which removes boogerall material compared to a file. You're "cake" argument sounds plausible but with respect it shows a lack of understanding as to were the cake is being initially trimmed.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
fatbob wrote:
DaveC,

Surely you're in Fernie where this season edges are irrelevant ( or is another liquid based precipitation event in the offing?)

I have no opinion on edge angles besides knowing mine are in very poor shape but I know a well tuned ski does feel nice.

No rain on the hill since the Dec 6th pinapple that's still haunting us for stability. Was just wondering really - We had a week without snow before the megastorm that hd caught, so the carvers got dusted off and made me wonder if their edge angle (3) would hurt my everyday skis (1).

I'll never understand the "you're not a world cup racer, you don't need this" or "you don't get filmed heliskiing, you don't need fat skis" - surely anything that facilitates greater enjoyment of skiing without significant sacrifice is a good thing?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DaveC wrote:
......I'll never understand the "you're not a world cup racer, you don't need this" or "you don't get filmed heliskiing, you don't need fat skis" - surely anything that facilitates greater enjoyment of skiing without significant sacrifice is a good thing?

Toofy Grin
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I'll never understand the "you're not a world cup racer, you don't need this" or "you don't get filmed heliskiing, you don't need fat skis"

Try you're not a world cup racer, you don't really ski the same conditions they ski all the time, and if your skill set isn't approaching theirs, then a 1 degree change in side bevel isn't going to benefit you a whole lot Toofy Grin Do you spend 95% of your time on water injected courses, or do you spend your time freeskiing the whole mountain?

Consider how you actually achieve the critical edge angle (Ron Lemaster) - how often do you really ski as per first picture?

With respect to equipment, is you setup, alignment, condition, lack of slack/play in the whole system *really* that good that you will benefit from that extra 1 degree?

Finally - if you apply that extra degree to a torsionally stiff ski (eg: slalom ski) and have the skills to keep that ski on a clean edge, then sure, you'll benefit.

Apply a 3 instead of 2 degree side edge to an all mountain ski, and you'll probably find that, combined with a less than perfect skill set, it will not make a blind bit of difference as the front half of the ski will be flapping around the place anyway as the ski itself does not lend itself to a good clean edge hold on hardpack Toofy Grin

So, to answer the OP question directly:
Quote:
For example, my powder/soft snow skis don't really need amazing edge hold but I figured it can't hurt

No it won't hurt. But I doubt there's much benefit, perhaps even more chattering.

But if it makes you feel better and you have more fun, then go for it!!! Very Happy

Hmmm. I wonder if he's on 2 or 3........ Very Happy
snow conditions
I can't believe I am doing this... but

you have a 1cm sq block of metal....
The angle you want to attack is currently 90.... you change it to 89, 88 87, and you are able to take ALL the metal from the top to attain this whilst maintaining the initial amount of metal at the bottom ( base )
You then ...for the sake of simplicity here, carve off 1mm slices ( tunes ) and maintain your angle of 89 or 88,87 etc.... but you want exactly one of these so you must maintain it but again in the interest of keeping it simple, the top of the block is now thinner. To maintain the angle, what you take off the top must come off the bottom otherwise the angle is destroyed ..and say the diff is 1 degree = 1mm, for the sake of argument, if you changed from 90 to 87, you have lost 3 mm if you maintain that angle exactly. Therefore, for the sake of this simple demonstration, you have 3 less tunes you are able to make until you run out of metal.

I am, of course, not suggesting you file away 1mm or that, in this case, 1mm really must = 1 degree, it is just in case anyone else wants to be bothered with following this. I know I don't

An very simple and semantic little demo, but I didn't start semantics here.
ski holidays
JT, steady on mate! deep breath and count to 10 Madeye-Smiley
latest report
veeeight wrote:

Consider how you actually achieve the critical edge angle (Ron Lemaster) - how often do you really ski as per first picture?

All the time Wink

veeeight wrote:

With respect to equipment, is you setup, alignment, condition, lack of slack/play in the whole system *really* that good that you will benefit from that extra 1 degree?

Likely not to feel the whole benefit, but I definately *think* I can feel a difference between 1 and 2. I've only ever skiied my carvers on 3, and they're so thin compared to my point of reference that I have no idea what difference any edge angle makes there. Even if the difference is purely psychological, that's fine with me - hence the question if there were any drawbacks.

veeeight wrote:

So, to answer the OP question directly:
Quote:
For example, my powder/soft snow skis don't really need amazing edge hold but I figured it can't hurt

No it won't hurt. But I doubt there's much benefit, perhaps even more chattering.

But if it makes you feel better and you have more fun, then go for it!!! Very Happy

I can't say I've felt any added chatter, then again you're hinting that any positive I feel is likely psychological anyway, I guess I could be blanking any chatter out too Wink I do take your point that it's only a minor difference, but imo it's one to experiment with, and I'm always open to anything that could improve my skiing (ski boots = the source of ultimate paranoia)

JT - I have no thoughts, positive or negative, towards the adverse effect of tuning skis, so you can keep battling this one out with Jon Wink I will say that I really couldn't care less if I take double the edge off that most home tuners do (I can't imagine I'll ever keep up with people that get shop tunes due to grinds...), I'll likely of sold/changed skis by the time it's relevant anyway Toofy Grin
snow report
DaveC,

No, its ok, I'm done...been round the houses etc... It isn't a big deal to me either... wink
snow conditions
I don't really see this as a debate but more of a choice and there is no right or wrong.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy