Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First Race Win!

Poster: A snowHead
We've just returned from a week in La Rosiere. On Friday there was the traditional public entry GS race, and Mr Docsquid and myself entered for it. And....

We both won! I was the fastest non-pro lady and he was fastest non-pro bloke!

There were a lot of good things about this race. First of all, despite doing a week's race training in Tignes last year, I get overwhelmed with nerves when starting a GS run. So much that I am shaking. So overcoming my fear and getting to the start was one major achievement.

Then Mr DS's time was amazing - the ESF instructor set a target time for the course at 59 seconds, and Mr DS's first run was 61 seconds! His first run on an unknown course within 2 seconds of the ESF instructor! Unfortunately he really went for it on the second run and lost it on an off-camber left turn just over the terrain break Sad

Then MY time was also amazing - 71 seconds. I was within 2 seconds of both the pro ladies who know the course very well! On the French ranking system I got a Bronze time and Mr DS got a Silver time. And I beat the overall winner the previous week by 10 seconds, so this was a very fast race by La Ros standards. I actually finished 5th overall - beaten only by 4 blokes and the pros.

So, not bad for a 7 1/2 stone girly on slalom skis, who's only been skiing for 4 years.

We each got a free drink and a nice certificate Smile

I want another go now!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
docsquid, Well done, sounds mighty impressive Cool
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
docsquid, I'm dead impressed. Congratulations to you both. Did anyone film you?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Whoa. Thats awesome! Congrats.

I missed out on entering that last year as we were too late Sad

Pass my congrats on to Mr DS too!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Megamum, we got some photos on our first run, but I haven't got them up on the web yet. We're both a bit snoozy after getting up at 3.30am UK time to get back!

I'm scared of posting them - technical people will point out the general girliness of my stance, not completely equal edge angles, and being way too far from the gate, and Mr DS's A-frame stance and diverging ski tips! Still, I don't suppose it matters if we won anyway...

I'll post them as soon as I can.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
docsquid wrote:
I get overwhelmed with nerves when starting a GS run. So much that I am shaking.

I got that in my first Fleche and went on to set a decent bronze time in my 3rd week of skiing. On my next trip three years later I wasn't so nervous, and totally cocked up. Nerves are a good thing sometimes in my opinion.

Congratulations BTW Smile
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
well done Mr & Mrs Docsquid! And don't be too hard on yourself about race technique - after all, just look at Bode Miller. Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
docsquid, please may I request that you and husband do not attend the EOSB or I will be another two places down the ranking wink

Well done both.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
docsquid, I know, you went first in you funky pants and MrDS was after you like a shot Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Aces Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
docsquid, Well done and congratulations !!! snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Any other resorts offer such fun ?? i.e. Val Thorens next week ?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
docsquid, Excellent. Well done to both of you Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
red 27, Smile

Sarge, I believe most resorts do a public entry race, but not every resort and not every week.

mark_s, you are probably right - a bit of nerves is a good thing. Mr DS fell on the second run because he thought the course was easy and forgot about the one difficult turn! He was gutted though, because he was sure he was going to beat the ESF instructor.

4 weeks to go before our trip to Courchevel and we can try again.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
docsquid,

Well done - a great memory. I told you at Megamum's MK birthday session that you looked pretty impressive. It seems I was right. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
docsquid,

Well done. What was the snow like? Did you get over to La Thuile?
ski holidays
docsquid, well done, very impressive.
snow conditions
Very well done to both.

The Fleche races in France are particularly good because they relate to an absolute standard. The ski teachers who set the target time have previously been timed in relation to a French "World Cup" ski team member, which gives them a handicap. For the award of ski grades the ESF teacher's time on YOUR race is then modified by his handicap, so that you are compared to a world cup racer's notional time. For Gold you must be within 17% of notional French team times, Vermeil (what used to be required for SCGB Gold) is within 30%, Silver within 45%, Bronze within 60%.
Which are much harder than they sound.
snow conditions
Congratulations Doindg snow heads proud
snow report
johnboy, the snow was good. On the first couple of days it was too warm and the snow got slushy on the lower runs (Marmottes and Fontaine Froid), but higher up it was in very good condition and plenty of it. It then got colder and we had some skiing in fog/sleet, trying to find the level at which there was some visibility beyond the next marker pole. Saturday morning was whiteout with a large dump of snow overnight and continued snow in the morning, but lovely powder in places. Found some un-skied powder even at 4.45pm on Saturday afternoon.

We got over to La Thuile and did Black 3 Smile All the black runs were in lovely condition. Also lovely pizza. Lovely hot chocolate too. Liked La Thuile quite a lot.
snow conditions
docsquid, Really well done, both of you , I'm mega-impressed and more than a tad envious snowHead Laughing Embarassed
snow report
docsquid, well done! If you post pics of you skiing well, I'll post pics of me skiing badly to deflect the abuse! snowHead
snow report
OK, here we are....

Non equal edge angles, not angulated enough, and nowhere near close enough to the gate. This was on the first run, over the first terrain break, and you couldn't see the next gate so I was being cautious.

Mr Docsquid - a bit more aggressive!
ski holidays
docsquid, Nice pics snowHead You can race here all through the summer you know wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy