Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Espace Diamant - ESF and Lower Slopes

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone got any experience of the ski schools and leaner slopes around Flumet, Belcombe, Crest etc etc?

Looking for lessons but don't want to be tied to one location (La Clusaz) for the whole week this time.

Quite fancy trying somewhere new and the piste map looks to suit the childrens level of skiing.

Any advise?

Thanks

Lisa
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
lisach, I know the area well, but La Clusaz is not part of the Espace Diamant. Where will you be based. I would recommend Les Saisies, and the Glisse Passion ski school, for children and beginners. Far better snow quality and more slopes to choose from, for all abilities. Notre Dame 1350 would be the next best bet. Flumet is closer to La Clusaz but it's low, and snow quality could be an issue. If you identify exactly what you're looking for, and when, I'd be glad to help. If it's half term, no time to waste in booking lessons. And they'll probably need to be private, unless the kids are going to be OK in a francophone environment.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w wrote:
lisach, I know the area well, but La Clusaz is not part of the Espace Diamant. Where will you be based. I would recommend Les Saisies, and the Glisse Passion ski school, for children and beginners. Far better snow quality and more slopes to choose from, for all abilities. Notre Dame 1350 would be the next best bet. Flumet is closer to La Clusaz but it's low, and snow quality could be an issue. If you identify exactly what you're looking for, and when, I'd be glad to help. If it's half term, no time to waste in booking lessons. And they'll probably need to be private, unless the kids are going to be OK in a francophone environment.

Thanks Pam, we are based close to St Jean-de-Sixt but like to be mobile so driving down to your neck of the woods isn't an issue. La Clusaz can get a bit busy and yes we would prefer Private Lessons as the group ones all seems to start at different time and different places, nightmare! Manigod is another option as it was very good there last year.

How long would it take to get to Les Saises, we would perhaps do 2-3 Private there.

Regards

Lisa
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
According to Via Michelin it would take 47 minutes, though would depend on weather especially over the Col des Aravis. Les Saisies offers a much greater choice of learning slopes, especially if lower snow is a little dodgy. You would drive up through Notre Dame 1150 (the old village) and 1350 (Mont Rond, the main centre) but although 1350 has some nice learning slopes the main blue run down from the top is a bit tough in places for early improvers - though a super run. In Les Saisies kids in classes can go up one of the main chair lifts and have lots of easy runs - much more fun than just round and round the nursery slope. Friends who had kids in private lessons last week were thrilled that they were doing skiing backwards on their third day, and having a ball.

Would recommend Glisse Passion, independent ski school, more flexible than ESF. They have an OK website, click through from the lessaisies.com website.

One big advantage of Les Saisies is that, except in the peak periods, you can park right at the top of the nursery slope, at the ski school meeting place. It's more of a struggle in the 4 peak weeks, of course - which is why we shall be away from here by Friday.

More experienced skiers would probably do better going up to the top levels of Notre Dame de Bellecombe, from 1350. Lift linked from Les Saisies, but a bit of a hike for small kids.

When are you thinking of visiting? The ski schools will be getting very booked up.

It's snowing hard today; things should be great for half term. All runs are open at the moment.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi,

We ski from flumet and use Flumet St nicholas ESF for private lessons.

The 1st year, 2006, kids were 8yrs old used ski school but struggled in the groups due to their non existent french.
There are 2 instructors who speak english and we use one of them for our private lessons.

When the snow has been poor lessons have started at NDB or les saisies
Unlike previous years the ski school is quite efficient at answering emails and you can confidenlty organise your lessons this way.

For us the biggest advantages of Les Saisies over the rest of espace the chairs as opposed to buttons.
Our youngest, 5yrs old this year, is capable of getting down most of the blues and some of the reds but most of the buttons in flumet/NDB are too vicious for her to use.

Les Saisies certainly caters for a wider range of abilities but the narrower tree lined runs on the Val d'arly side are worth experiencing

We will be there 7th - 17th March
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
scotkiwi, welcome to snowheads, snowHead

Quote:
For us the biggest advantages of Les Saisies over the rest of espace the chairs as opposed to buttons.
Our youngest, 5yrs old this year, is capable of getting down most of the blues and some of the reds but most of the buttons in flumet/NDB are too vicious for her to use. Les Saisies certainly caters for a wider range of abilities but the narrower tree lined runs on the Val d'arly side are worth experiencing

You are absolutely right - some of those drags are horrible, and I wouldn't want to put a 5 year old on them. They toss grown women around like rag dolls! But many of the drags in LS are very benign (I should know, I can only do really easy drags on my snowboard!). But we love the tree lined runs in the Val D'Arly, not least because they're practically empty, out of the high French season. We sadly saw very little of them (or of the bottom run down into Hauteluce) last year, because of the poor snow. We hope to get down to the Val D'Arly later this week - gotta try that new Cret du Midi lift in Praz sur Arly.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy