Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Energy Drinks.

Poster: A snowHead
While looking in Tesco's earlier, I saw they are now stocking a range from http://www.scienceinsport.com/rego.htm, and I wondered, in reality, how good they are or is it all a gimmick ? Puzzled

I am now well under way with my aim to get a lot fitter for skiing in April, working out to a ski video 3 times a week, 3 short power walks and one longer one, riding my friends horse once a week and 2 games of cricket each weekend. But after each session, I find myself exhausted, looking at the above range, the Go Gel sachets (isotonic energy) seem perfect, but are they ? any experiences ? Thanks. snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I used PSP22 for early morning gym workouts and swear it helped, but I have no control experiment to compare against.

I've seen that orange squash with a teaspoon of sugar and a pinch of salt has the same effect. I doubt they're much use at the end of a workout when you're supposed to be exhausted unless you want to go longer and harder. You could also try a bowl of porridge an hour before you go.

There's something about power walking that cracks me up.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hyweljenkins wrote:
There's something about power walking that cracks me up.

After a long walk, it feels like I am cracking up as well NehNeh NehNeh I was supposed to be doing Nordic Walking, but was told I would have to wear trainers Puzzled because of a Mortons Neuroma in each foot, I can't find a comfy pair, so stick to my walking boots, which apparently are not good for the Nordic class rolling eyes mind you, on the embarrasing front, I think I would rather get odd looks as I stride along, rather than giggles as I strutted my stuff with a pair of poles. Embarassed

I had also heard about the orange squash with salt and sugar, I don't think my mind would let it work as it sounds yuk before I even started Confused
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
They are cool, they are used in many sports by professionals and amateurs alike, they taste like cack!

pippivixen, Many amateur cyclists carry use Go or similar products, generally when used alongside a proper diet for the activity they can act as a boost and aid in recovery and quick replenishment of minerals and sugars. I do not know pros but I am sure it is the same!

Although not essential they are by design an exact mixture of the essential nutrients in particular minerals, salts and sugars lost during exercise.

Saying all this when skiing I prefer dark chocolate, dried fruit, fruit syrup drink and nuts not necessarily becuase it is better but because it taste better and is more satifying.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pippivixen, the orange squash mix isn't too bad, and you can't taste the salt - make 500ml at a time. I think the orange is just in there to make the taste palatable, so put less juice in to off-set the extra sugar. Then there's Red Bull ...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
hyweljenkins, It is not true that Orange squash with sugar and salt is the same.

Orange Squash : Water, Orange Fruit from Concentrate (12%), Glucose-Fructose Syrup, Sugar, Citric Acid, Acidity Regulator (Sodium Citrate), Preservatives (Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Metabisulphite), Flavourings, Stabiliser (Cellulose Gum), Colour (Beta-Carotene) Contains a Source of Phenylalanine
Sugar: Carbohydrate
Salt: Sodium Chloride

Energy drink: Energy 1423kj/314kcal, Carbohydrate 55g, Protein 27g, Fat trace, Vitamin A 27ug, B1 1.4mg,B2 1.6mg, B3 18mg, B5 6mg, B6 1.8mg, B12 2ug, C 55mg, D 3ug, E 6.4mg, K 30ug, Bioflavenoids 5.5mg, Folic Acid 270ug, Biotin140ug, sodium 578mg, chloride 458mg, calcium 1091mg, magnesium 364mg, zinc 14mg, potassium 223mg, chromium180ug, iron14mg, selenium 20ug, molybdenum 20ug, phosphorous 244 mg, manganese 2.7mg, copper 450ug, iodine 50mg, flourine450ug
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
hyweljenkins, What's the point of making a salty orange drink why dont you just drink the nice sugar drink and eat a pack of salty peanuts!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
plectrum, I didn't say it was the same, but thanks for the list of ingredients.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hyweljenkins, Ah, i'm tired and not really reading the whole post!

But this drink should generally be used towards the end of a work out to promote efficiency towards the end when you would tail off. Also to be used after to aid recovery. Prior to activity you should have a good store of energy, nutrients, minerals, vitamins and salts.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Read an article, last year about different drinks to take after a gym workout, and the one that returns condition the quickest was

BEER Very Happy

They tested water, both tap and bottled, and three different 'energy' drinks too.

Apparently its the combination of the yeast and sugars that do it - the answer soooo many people are looking for wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bones, Especially Guiness heavy duty packed and rich!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
beer would dehydrate you so I find that bit odd..
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Been using tap water for 20+ years. Cheap and works Confused Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A 27ug, B1 1.4mg,B2 1.6mg, B3 18mg, B5 6mg, B6 1.8mg, B12 2ug, C 55mg, D 3ug, E 6.4mg, K 30ug, Bioflavenoids 5.5mg, Folic Acid 270ug, Biotin140ug, sodium 578mg, chloride 458mg, calcium 1091mg, magnesium 364mg, zinc 14mg, potassium 223mg, chromium180ug, iron14mg, selenium 20ug, molybdenum 20ug, phosphorous 244 mg, manganese 2.7mg, copper 450ug, iodine 50mg, flourine450ug

Why do you need vitamins and minerals in an energy drink? If you have a balanced diet you'll have all the vitamins and minerals you need. All you want from an energy drink are water, carbs & salt (and possibly some caffeine if you like the Red Bull jitters). Surely this is just a marketing gimmick, like putting Vit C in Coke?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Seany, actually no!

Seany if you are interested do a google search on proper sports drinks. They are designed for athletes either amateur or professional that place their body under serious stress. During these periods you lose many essential nutrients which are involved in muscle activity, energy transfer, lost in sweat etc etc. I'm not a scientist but these definately work.

Taking this to the extreme, after Tour de France stages the cyclists are jacked up to multiple different drips to get all these nutrients into their body as fast as possible and it may also be worthwhile to note that they cannot replace what they have lost during the day purely by eating normal foot stuffs!
snow conditions
pippivixen wrote:
While looking in Tesco's earlier, I saw they are now stocking a range from http://www.scienceinsport.com/rego.htm, and I wondered, in reality, how good they are or is it all a gimmick ? Puzzled

I am now well under way with my aim to get a lot fitter for skiing in April, working out to a ski video 3 times a week, 3 short power walks and one longer one, riding my friends horse once a week and 2 games of cricket each weekend. But after each session, I find myself exhausted, looking at the above range, the Go Gel sachets (isotonic energy) seem perfect, but are they ? any experiences ? Thanks. snowHead

You might find useful this previous thread:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=775930&highlight=gel#775930
ski holidays
Well, I'd be interested to see the peer-reviewed studies on PubMed (rather than the wesbsite marketing blurb) and I'd always err on the side of skepticism as far as this kind of thing is concerned. The vast majority of us won't see any benefit from drinking super-go-faster-blue-coloured-isotonic-vitamin&mineral-enriched sugar water over any other drink that replaces the water and salts lost through sweat and gives energy through easily metabolised carbs (e.g. squash wtih sugar & salt).

Another thing to bear in mind is the psychology of top level athletes, the placebo effect is very powerful so their coaches will use all kinds of clever ways to trick them into thinking that they have an edge over their rivals, from all kinds of impressive sounding dietary supplements to the nonsense of Q-Link pendants.
snow conditions
plectrum wrote:
They are designed for athletes either amateur or professional that place their body under serious stress.

Thats the joke, your words serious stress. How many amateurs really put their body through this. I watch lardys trainign, one sign of sweat and out comes the lucozade sport. How many calaories are in these drinks.

I run every day on hills, I have done 4 marathons. I eat properly, I drink water (and alcohol, I ain't no saint Little Angel ), but I won't touch one of those calorie filled drinks
ski holidays
Seany, The drinks definately work .... definately. If you have any doubt get on a bike and cycle 150 miles and for the last 30 miles neck a Go gel. Then do it again but this time don't neck one! I've tried it many others have tried it and it works.

Personally I would only use these in high endurance situations and as thefatcontroller, says most amateurs don't come close to this level. It doesn;t take away from the facto that it works!

thefatcontroller

Quote:
I run every day on hills, I have done 4 marathons. I eat properly, I drink water (and alcohol, I ain't no saint ), but I won't touch one of those calorie filled drinks

Why would you not neck a Go Gel when performing a Marathon, and do you drink the free drinks that are given out at rest stations as these are often sport energy drinks!

Although they taste a little yuck, they are nothing evil dude!!!!

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 3-02-08 15:28; edited 2 times in total
snow report
Seany wrote:
Well, I'd be interested to see the peer-reviewed studies on PubMed (rather than the wesbsite marketing blurb)

Again Seany, if you are actually interested do a google search including Pub Med or various other medical keywords and you will find countless Abstracts and articles on the use of proper electrolyte sports drinks.
snow conditions
plectrum, I've stopped racing as my knees won't take heavy mileage but still do 2-3 miles on hills daily which I love. I never drank the carbo fuels as I never drank them while training and they would make me sick. Stick with what you know in the race, don't experiment.

They are evil to the amateur excersing to lose weigth (as most do). How many calories in a Lucozade sport?
snow report
I'm not saying energy drinks are not a good idea - obviously taking on board carbs, fluids & salts (electrolytes) works! I'm just not convinced (certainly for amateur athletes) that Go Gel is necessarily the best way of doing it.

Are there any double-blinded, randomised, controlled peer reviewed studies showing Go Gel does what it claims?
ski holidays
And I agree with thefatcontroller, water is enough for moderate exercise, energy drinks are for endurance.

Despite that I seem to have convinced myself that I can't get through a days skiing without a litre of water/blue gatorade/grape juice mix in my reservoir and a packet of gummi bears in my pocket. Very Happy
latest report
Seany, thefatcontroller, I agree with you in terms of the general public, they often don't need anything more than water followed by a good meal later in the day.

Also Lucozade is little more than water and lots and lots of glucose. This is slightly different than sports drinks and gels such as Go. I would also stick with what you know too and they can liquidize the stomach for some!!!

Seany, If you look up to an earlier response I ski quite hard but prefer nuts, dried fruit, chocolate, haribo, and proper sugar syrup drink. If I was seriously competing I would supplement with these gels.

Essential Minerals in Dark chocolate: contains high amounts of copper, iron, as well as magnesium, potassium and manganese.
Vitamins in Dark chocolate A, B1, B2, B3, C, E and pantothenic acid.

Oh and nuts are packed with similar goodness. I would add SEEDS to the list of mountain survival nibbles and this provides a more pleasurable and paletable alternative to yucky sports gels and drinks!
latest report
The Rego (and similar) ranges have their place - but I would have thought that they would be a waste of time - and an expensive waste of time - for an average day`s skiing.

They are useful ergogenic aids for recovery after hard, sustained exercise and in the course of hard sustained exercise.

After running for more than 1.5 - 2 hours carb levels will be low. The fastest way to restock is by ingesting a carb/protein drink immediately after exercise - followed by solid carbs within the next hour. The protein improves the body`s uptake of carb. The process is especially useful if engaged upon a prolonged exercise program e.g training for one of the fat controller`s marathons when the body`s carb stores are repeatedly being depleted.

I use GO recovery - but I also use milkshake or Slimfast. Not much difference - except Nesquik is a lot cheaper.

Interestingly, some recent studies have suggested that milk makes an excellent recovery drink on its own.

Products such GO gel etc. and energy drinks (gatorade, lucozade etc) are used during exercise - but again, exercise of the sustained and intensive variety. The gel formula makes the stuff easier to ingest and digest. The minerals & electrolytes are supposed to replace electrolytes lost in the course of the exercise. There are a number of studies which indicate that sports drinks are more effective than plain water. Again, however, for a standard days skiing they are an expensive waste of time - and they rot the teeth something chronic.

Individuals doing a 5 km run on treadmill/road whilst swigging lucozade are wasting their time and money.

So, unless you`re planning on a full day`s intensive Nordic skiing, take Plectrum`s advice and eat porridge, fruit (dried or otherwise), nuts, chocolate and drink water. Most important of all make sure your basic diet is reasonably healthy - lots of fruit, veg, salad - and meat is no bad thing (though obviously not necessary).
snow conditions
jonty, I find porridge, croissants, chocolate and genepe are suffient for me on an averge skiing day Toofy Grin

As you say above a huge industry has built up supplying drinks full of sugar and shoite to very, very amateur sports people. I see people running around parks in the middle of Winter carrying water bottles Confused rolling eyes . This ain't the fecking Sahara no one is going to die of dehydration. I only used to carry water if doing 10 mile+ and even on occassions I wouldn't bother.
snow conditions
thefatcontroller, agreed, but it depends on the individual, some people sweat more than others. Luckily the body has a built regulatory system to tell us when we need a drink, it's called 'thirst'.

The bottled water industry is doing very well out of the '8 glasses a day' mantra. Nobody seems to know where this idea came from as there is no research to back it up but it seems likely that it was the US National Research Council - the interesting thing is that they said that we would ingest most of the 8 glasses of water from food.
snow conditions
Seany, Yeah but some these lardy people exercising need to move fast enough to sweat in the first place... Laughing Laughing

You ain't sweating, you ain't working snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hyweljenkins wrote:

I've seen that orange squash with a teaspoon of sugar and a pinch of salt has the same effect.

Actually a glass of watery orange/blackcurrent/whatever squash and a (small) pinch of salt is all you need (the orange squash takes care of the sugar) after . Just replace the minerals you lose whilst exercising.
Anything else is complete nonsense!

Reminds me of the old western films where there's the guys in a wagon going round selling bottles of potions that will cure everything, with all the townsfolk gathered round lapping up his sales pitch. Nowadays it's just called Lucozade Sport!

By the way, I'm selling Peckham Spring Water if anyone's interested. It increases cup sizes for the ladies, and add's girth for the gents.
Fathima Whitbread says she swears by it (for both cup size and girth) so who'd doubt her patronage? NehNeh NehNeh
snow conditions
Seany wrote:
thefatcontroller, agreed, but it depends on the individual, some people sweat more than others. Luckily the body has a built regulatory system to tell us when we need a drink, it's called 'thirst'.

The bottled water industry is doing very well out of the '8 glasses a day' mantra. Nobody seems to know where this idea came from as there is no research to back it up but it seems likely that it was the US National Research Council - the interesting thing is that they said that we would ingest most of the 8 glasses of water from food.

The body`s built in regulatory system is fine for day to day needs - not prolonged exercise. If engaged in hard/prolonged exercise and you feel thirsty you`re slightly dehydrated.

Completely agree that this 8 glasses a day is b*ll*ks.
snow report
Now if you want a sports drink that really works....http://youtube.com/v/edd8ItSpRMs
ski holidays
jonty, Toofy Grin Laughing

By the way to turn the link into a clickable link

put [url] before the address and [/url] after it
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy