Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Base layer XXXXL?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Anyone have any shop recommendations for base layer for a big bloke (4xl and above)? Been surfing around and seem to find nothing... something with chest size 56-60 would be perfect...

I've just bought a jacket (with 2 layers, one outer windproof and a inner fleece). Do you think I still need another mid layer?

Thanks in advance...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
KYL, welcome to snowheads, unless its vv cold I use 3 layers- base, mid and shell. Mind I prefer to be slightly cold rather than too hot.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
KYL, welcome to snowHead 's
I'm 2xl/3xl size and normaly ski with a base layer - thin fleece - shell jacket.
Today it was -10c with a 40+mph wind so I put on a second fleece and was quite warm enough.
As for brands I think all my base layer stuff is 2XL but they are-
Craghoppers, HH, tresspass and campagnolo
Hope this helps
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Saw some in Mountain Warehouse at Castleford yesterday that were XXXL which might do you:
http://mountainwarehouse.com/shop/product/products_id/3232.html
http://mountainwarehouse.com/shop/product/products_id/5855.html
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks guys... been surfing around and I don't see anywhere that I can get 4xl base layers.

Do you think the polo dri fit golf shirts that I have would be any good?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Get your nan to knit you a woolen vest! Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
KYL, Just layer with thin long sleeved tops/fleeces. Nobody can tell what you are wearing by looking at your skiing. I've skiied for years and I got my first base layer for Christmas last year. Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
KYL wrote:

I've just bought a jacket (with 2 layers, one outer windproof and a inner fleece). Do you think I still need another mid layer?

Thanks in advance...

How much you need is very much down to your personal metabolism and senses.

I run very hot, and the only time I have ever needed more than a T shirt and "puffy" jacket for skiing was in Canada at temperatures of -20 to -30C, where I did also wear a thermal vest. But then even in the depths of a UK winter, I rarely need more than a 6 tog quilt at night, and in summer will only be comfortable with just a sheet.

Somebody who is normally colder will want more layers than that. There is no "one size fits all" answer to your question.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I thoroughly agree with Alex on this....it's all personal, some folk feel the cold more than others.

I wear one base layer (Under Armour/Canterbury/Nike Therma) under my jacket occasionally with a t-shirt over the layer but that's purely out of vanity (because I'm worth it!) and thats it....but my wife always goes the whole hog, base layer/t-shirt/fleece etc.....my best mate even wears long johns (I've NEVER worn them...even in the -40's at the top of Alpe D'Huez)...so get yerself a decent base layer (you will get them in those sizes they do exist I've seen them) and a fleece/decent sweat shirt and see how it goes when you get there....at least you'll know what you've gotta do next year.

Have a great holiday.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I wear long johns too, and have never had cold legs! I wear them because my ski-trousers don't have a fleecy inner and I don't like the feeling of the liner against my leg.

As for upper body it is: jacket, fleece or tshirt or neither, base layer. Depending on weather. Whichever combination I go for, unless its snowing hard then I will ski with my armpit zips open, and probably the jacket only half done up.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you can wait for delivery from the USA you can have up to 6XL thermals.
http://www.essentialapparel.com/index.cfm/a/catalog.prodshow/vid/644/catid/168/Essential-Apparel-Basic-Thermal-Top
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy