Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cold? You ain;t seen cold

Poster: A snowHead
well, you might in the Hope Valley in the Peak District tonight

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/today.asp?zipcode=s33

the temperature's going to plummet to -237 °c!!!! Shocked Shocked
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
nbt, are you sure it wasn't you who typed up that report ? Laughing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That's only what it will feel like! wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You just need to put an extra layer on Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Got any merino Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
nbt,

Quote:

the temperature's going to plummet to -237 °c!!!!

Is that absolute? Puzzled Puzzled
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
JP, -273.15 rather than -237. Degrees Celcius
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
plectrum, Or zero Kelvin - someones been playing silly b*****rs with the weather report
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
plectrum,
Quote:

JP, -273.15 rather than -237. Degrees Celcius

It is nearly 40 years since I did physics. Embarassed
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I don't think minus 237C exists.... that's well below absolute zero, isn't it?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
"Absolute temperature" is one Google click away.

The absolute zero, measured in Kelvin is -273.35 degree C. Thus 0 degree C is 273.35 Kelvin. Had -237 been measued as absolute in Kelvin it would be just -35 degree C, which I believe could be the actual measurement.

Anybody who reads about absolute temperature knows that there is no -273 degree C in our weather system. This is because if -237 degree C will have to be 35 Kelvin, a condition close to absolute zero that can only be re-produced in a laboratory

According this web page the coldest earth temperature recorded never drops below -100 degree C.

I thought there are a lot scientists, weather-forecasters, teachers, medical doctors in snowheads who could correct this before it gets this far!

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sat 2-02-08 12:58; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w, No that is absolute zero when molecules stop vibrating alltogether- worse than very slow chairlift in windy blizzard- too cold for teeth to chatter
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
JulesB,

If your teeth chatter then their molecules must be vibrating.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
saikee, Think that's what I said; and if you can hear the chime of brass monkeys it's almost T shirt weather
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
saikee, he has different blood to the rest of you

The Geordie Thermometer

50 Degrees. Southerners turn on their heating. Geordies plant their gardens.

40 Degrees. Southerners shiver uncontrollably. Geordies Sunbathe.

30 Degrees. Southern cars will not start. Geordies drive with their windows down

20 Degrees. Southerners wear coats, gloves, and wool hats. Geordies throw a t-shirt on (Girls start wearing mini-skirts)

10 Degrees. Southerners begin to Evacuate. Geordies go swimming in the North Sea.

Zero degrees. Southern landlords turn up the heat. Geordies have the last barbecue before it gets cold.

Minus 10 Degrees. Southerners cease to exist. Geordies throw on a lightweight jacket.

Minus 80 Degrees. Polar bears wonder if it’s worth it. Geordie Boy scouts start wearing long trousers.

Minus 100 Degrees. Santa Claus abandons the North Pole. Geordies put on their long johns.

Minus 173 Degrees. Alcohol freezes. Geordies become frustrated because the pubs are shut.

Minus 297 Degrees. Microbiological life starts to disappear. The cows on Newcastle town moor complain of vets with cold hands.

Minus 460 Degrees. All atomic motion stops. Geordies start to stamp their feet and blow on their hands.

Minus 500 Degrees. H3ll freezes over……….Sunderland qualify for Europe.

Very Happy
snow report
Helen Beaumont,

I know it is a regional attraction nowadays just to go down the Newcastle quayside pubs to watch the mini skirts and summer clothing the girls wear in the bitten winter condition. I think it has become a major tourist attraction.

However having spent 7 years in Sunderland and later settled in Newcastle I think the above is only a recent trend, by recent I mean it wasn't like this 20 years ago. I could be wrong to think this young generation may come to their senses eventually but so far they have proved me wrong.

With Thermal underwaer, Gortex jacket, 2 to 3 layers of fleece, scarf round the neck, warn gloves, ear-covering hat and sometime heated boot I have to keep on moving (exercising the body) in order to fight the mountain chill while skiing. To be able to stand still nearly naked in a windy Newcastle in winter goes against the law of physics. Unfortunately it seems to be a trend that caught on here among the teens and boys are doing it too admittedly in a much smaller number. Many of them do exhibit some stress from the cold but they rather stand outside the building to face the cold than go inside the building. It is almost like a competition to see who can wear the least in the coldest condition. Helen may be able to confirm if there are many skiers among this group.
ski holidays
saikee, used to happen when I was a teenager too.
ski holidays
JP, that is what wikipedia's for Smile
latest report
It can be shown from the laws of thermodynamics that absolute zero can never be achieved artificially, though it is possible to reach temperatures close to it through the use of cryocoolers. This is the same principle that ensures no machine can be 100% efficient.
ski holidays
As of February 2003, the Boomerang Nebula, with a temperature of –272.15 degrees Celsius; 1 K, is the coldest place known outside a laboratory. The nebula is 5000 light-years from Earth and is in the constellation Centaurus.[6]
ski holidays
It is amazing though how close scientists in a lab can get to absolute 0:

In September 2003, MIT announced a record cold temperature of 450 pK, or 4.5×10−10 K in a Bose-Einstein condensate of sodium atoms. This was performed by Wolfgang Ketterle and colleagues at MIT.[5]

So that is 0.000 000 000 450 Kelvin. Damn thats fine!
latest report
So, which ever way it is.....When I'm out in the Hope Valley tonight on a night navigation exercise, I need to wrap up warm Confused
snow report
plectrum wrote:
It can be shown from the laws of thermodynamics that absolute zero can never be achieved artificially, though it is possible to reach temperatures close to it through the use of cryocoolers. This is the same principle that ensures no machine can be 100% efficient.

The laws of thermodynamics:

- 1st law: you can never win; at best you can break even.

- 2nd law: you can only break even at absolute zero.

- 3rd law: you can never reach absolute zero.

wink
ski holidays
Here is a podcast about stopping light and trapping it in a cloud of supercooled Bose-Einstein condensate of atoms. In effect changing light into matter and then releasing it back into light!

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=7314502

Doh!

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sat 2-02-08 14:31; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Elizabeth B,

Unless you a spring chicken lass Geordie like Helen.
snow conditions
Prof Lene Vestergaard Hau feels that her research on using near absolute zero to cool light into matter can be used to create quantum computers i.e. quatum cpu processors! zoom Smile
snow conditions
Quote:
I know it is a regional attraction nowadays just to go down the Newcastle quayside pubs to watch the mini skirts and summer clothing the girls wear in the bitten winter condition. I think it has become a major tourist attraction

Corn beef legs Shocked Skullie
ski holidays
saikee wrote:

Anybody who reads about absolute temperature

eh? wtf?

Laughing Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
???? Puzzled
i follw the link and all looks quiet normal..-2°c etc ??
snow report
barry,

You can Google it.

backhojo,

You missed the boat. The error has been corrected or the entry has been removed.
ski holidays
plectrum,
Quote:
Prof Lene Vestergaard Hau feels that her research on using near absolute zero to cool light into matter can be used to create quantum computers i.e. quatum cpu processors! zoom
mmmh. I've been studying those. The bit I don't quite get (yet) is when they say 'and then the four qbits compute every possible answer at the same time and when you look at them sideways all the quantum states collapse and out pops the right answer'...
Ok, maybe I should just go back and read this from the start again, or maybe I should learn to accept and leave it up to the young uns rolling eyes
snow report
The weather in Hope Valley last night was disappointingly warm. I don't think it dipped below 0c while I was out there.
snow report
Steilhang, I don't study physics so am probably wrong but I think it has something to do with probability and multiple states. At a generalistic state we work in binary and so you can have either 1 or 0 ... on or off so in making decisions you need to make one at a time. At quantum level you can have 0 & 0 at the same time as 0 & 1 as 1 & 1 as 1 & 0. I.E. all possible options and so much great interpretations and computations can occur. I think everything is happening at the same time and it is only once you pose the question does the system set to the relevant setting to give you the answer.

So at relativistic states the system needs a question posed to begin to process for the answer but in quantum states all the process are already occuring prior to posing the question and only takes the question to decide on the answer!

In the interview I posted above it is amusing when she states that at quantum level something i.e. light will be in multiple places at once and it is only when you actually ask the question i.e. do the test to determine where it is that it needs to make a decision and become so sometimes it is better not to pose the question and force something to exisit!
latest report
Steilhang, http://www.amazon.co.uk/Quantum-Computer-Science-David-Mermin/dp/0521876583?tag=amz07b-21
snow report
plectrum, I believe you. My next cat is going to be called Schroedinger by the way!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy