Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Teaching Qualifications needed in France - latest rumour

Poster: A snowHead
After ISIA has agreed to offer two levels of stamp. The current ISIA rating will be known as RED and will allow an instructor to teach within a ski school worldwide. The new higher rating will be a BLACK which will be similar to an ISTD and will include a version of the Eurotest and the European Mountain Safety course. ISIA Black teachers will be able to ply their trade independently or within a school.

The interesting rumour going around is that as the French have signed up to this the ESF recons that anyone with an ISIA red license will be able to teach within any ski school in France. At the moment only certain schools with "training centre status" can employe instructors without an ISTD and you have a limited amount of time until you achieve your ISTD.

The rumour i heard is that the ESF seems to be relunctantly accepting the fact that this WILL happen and wages will fall for ISTD's but on the plus side ISIA red level instructors will be able to work in any schools without a time limit.

Anyone heard anything on this subject?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not heard about about ESF accepting the validity of the Red badge; I'll ask one of the NewGen guys this weekend. Would be good (for me, at least) if true Smile
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skimottaret,

Quote:
Anyone heard anything on this subject?

Bumped into Shaun Langmuir (BASI training manager) today in Val D and were discussing qualifications/exemptions with him. He didn't mention anything about ISIA red/black, although if it has not been finally agreed he probably wouldn't.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
sorry i wasnt clear but the Red/black is still a work in progress without a definate launch date but the word i got was once it is in place and effective in a year or so then current ISIA's will be good to teach in france....

rob@rar, would be a good thing eh?

stewart woodward, did Shaun have any tidbits on qualifications/exemptions worth mentioning?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skimottaret wrote:
rob@rar, would be a good thing eh?

Yes, although I might be over-presumptuous in assuming that I'll actually get to ISIA standard Embarassed
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
So does the Black ISIA replace the ISTD or does that still continue? Does seem a bit strange to maintain to similar level qualifications. Probably tough enough for the general public distinguishing at present between an ISIA and ISTD, so adding another will make it even more confusing.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skimottaret wrote:

stewart woodward, did Shaun have any tidbits on qualifications/exemptions worth mentioning?

Yes Train hard & pass all your exams Blush

Last week in Val D the ISTD Teaching courses had a pass rate of 100% (16/16)

This week i hear the pass rate for ISTD Technical is 50% (16/32) a lot higher than normal but a lot of the guys/girls have been training hard since the autumn.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
GrahamN, the black ISIA would replace ISTD as I understand it.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skimottaret, rob@rar,

I can't see fully qualified nationals accepting the same rates of pay as ISIA black's
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar, that would make sense...so it can't be right Wink .
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stewart woodward wrote:
skimottaret, rob@rar,

I can't see fully qualified nationals accepting the same rates of pay as ISIA black's

I agree, so I'm not holding my breath on this happening any time soon.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
This is my understanding. ISTD is the top level of BASI, ISIA is a totally different organisation, that BASI are members of. ISTD will not be replaced by ISIA Black, the Black will be granted as a consequence of holding ISTD, just like the ISIA Red will be awarded for holding BASI Ski Teacher.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stewart woodward, do you know if Erica or Gordy made it through on the 1 tech?

Ive been training hard in the MK fridge does that count...Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimottaret wrote:

Laughing
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Spyderman, your view is correct as far as i heard as well. the minimum standard for Black will be similar as a BASI ISTD but the minimum standards to qualify have yet to be decided. The eurogroup countries have pretty similar standards but who knows...
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
skimottaret wrote:

Laughing

Only if it has Bumps, variable, steeps, etc & the weather conditions can change constantly wink
latest report
stewart woodward, Massive 15 degree steeps, bumps yes, i run over kids all the time Laughing and sometimes they open the doors if it gets too cold so we do get variable weather conditions
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy