Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Friday Debate: when doing a season, To work or Not to work, that is the question....

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
nbt, ... work as an avenue of pleasure has been discontinued .... Laughing

.... join the 1st Brigade of Freelancers in the 'Golden Triangle' ...... Very Happy snowHead
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well, I certainly wouldn't work if I didn't have to. Now where did I put that lottery ticket ..... ?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We are planning to do the season in 2009/2010 so plans have already started so we don't have to work! Doing a budget although as we have own place the costs back here in UK will be the biggest e.g mortgage payments for 5 months. I reckon we need about £20k to cover us and all costs.

Started saving now................
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm pretty sure that tactic of only wanting part of the season is, ironically, pushing your accommodation price up...

People who rent out for the season recognise that they're trading less income for reduced hastle and continuity of income. People who rent out by the week seldom have the motivation to "do you a deal" for taking 12 weeks - not when they could probably fill the place for 9-11 weeks anyway without discounting.

Around Morzine / Les Gets it seems to be quite common for people to build chalets with an apartment downstairs to let out. Quite a few people only want someone for the season to avoid the hastle of changeovers and the risk of different people. A few do it as much for security (absentee landlord) as for the money. I'm pretty sure that in St Jean d'Aulp (near Morzine) you could get a season rental of a studio or one bed for £2000-£2500 for the season. If you dropped down into Taninges (in the Samoens valley) then prices would drop further.

If you can then I'd avoid working and focus on improving my skiing. But there again, I'm like that.

Whatever you do. Do something!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mouth,it's looking a bit further ahead for us, as we will have no UK mortgage in 2012 and kids will be nearly finished at University. If we go earlier than that we will have to rent out the Uk house. I am not sure what we will do about the apartment. We may continue to rent it out, and get somewhere else for ourselves. Hopefully by then we won't need to think about that, but I wouldn't like to take it off the market for a year and lose our customers.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Mouth, That;'s what I thought, but unless you have a huge mortgage here, rental out there will be much more: for me, more or less twice the price! My mortgage is £500 per month, rental of a studio in the resorts we fancy will be 5k + for the season. I'd kind of budgeted 6k for a 3 month trip and that was, it would appear, hopelessly optimistic

BernardC, what do you do as a freelancer?

having watched the C4 programme on Devon vs Chamonix however we've now been bitten by the harebrained idea that rather than spending 6k on renting a place, we should spend as the deposit to BUY a place, use it for one season then rent it out. The sums kind of work too as studios start at around 60k in some of the resorts we're looking at...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
nbt, Just caught up with this thread since I contributed last week and noticed in your reply you sent at the time that you used to live in PAU - I was there last week for work (visiting Total/ TIGF). Very flat (as in not hilly!) place but seemed nice! Had lunch at a very nice fish restaurant next to the (apprently) first continental golf course in Europe!!

As regards your last post - I bought my Les Arcs and VT apartments after my seasons as I had the exact same thought - the rent seemed like a big old waste of money when if I'd spent it on a deposit I could've rented the apartment the next season to all my new friends and contacts in the Alps. So that's what I did!!! not managed to do a season in one of my own apartments since but I do get a week at the beginning and a week at the end of the season before and after the seasonnaires move in.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
nbt, ..... SKI all day .... Very Happy snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
nightshift, well well well - couple of friends used to work at that Total factpry and a few times I sneaked a lift on the staff bus over to the plant in St Gaudens for a weekend's drinking Smile Beautiful town, I really must go back to look around - not been since I left in 1992 Sad

BernardC, Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad grrrr Wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
nightshift, BTW, how much for a season let in the VT studio?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
will PM you now..
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
nbt, Our biggest cost is UK mortgage to die for. Serious monthly payments!

Helen Beaumont, Great you are thinking of doing season too. Mouth junior will be 3 so will learn to ski and go to french kindergarden. We also plan 3 weeks in Vancouver/whistler for the winter olympics in Feb to avoid holidays in France. GLC here we come!!!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
nbt wrote:
Mouth, having watched the C4 programme on Devon vs Chamonix however we've now been bitten by the harebrained idea that rather than spending 6k on renting a place, we should spend as the deposit to BUY a place, use it for one season then rent it out. The sums kind of work too as studios start at around 60k in some of the resorts we're looking at...

you're upping you risk profile there... have you considered what you'd do in a neagative equity situation? If you could take the pain that's cool, but only do this with spare cash is my advice - unasked for I realise...

You seem to have gone from wanting to do a ski season to wanting to be a landlord in an area that you know very little about. Confused
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy