Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Guide services in Alpe d'Huez region

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've been skiing for a good 20 years now and in a couple of weeks I'll be heading over to Oz en Oisans in the Alpe d'Huez region with some friends of mine. Most of the people in the group are average/beginner skiers and throughout most of the vacation we'll be skiing together as a group.

However I was thinking of taking a day or half a day to get some off-piste skiing in and I was wondering whether people could recommend some good guides in this region. I'm not looking for ski mountaineering, really just off-piste skiing...

~mjk
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
there is a Bureau des Guides in Alpe d'Huez which might be a good start. I use a guy called Anthony Franklin (www.anthony-franklin.com) who isn't affiliated with the bureau but knows the area really well but he gets pretty booked up so not sure you'd get him at short notice.

the Bureau does group trips which you could join - eg the Grand Sablat (classic off-piste descent in the area) with a return to ADH by helicopter which would be a lot of fun. the area does offer a lot of really good wild off-piste and it gets all the better if you're prepared to walk for 20mins or so at the beginning or end of the run.

If you just want a quick blast, you could try an off-piste lesson with ESF. I've done these organised out of Vaujany but I would think the ESF in Oz would do something similar. 2 hours for EUR50ish and they use the Dome des Rousses cable car so you can get a lot of really good skiing in in your 2 hours.

have fun!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Arno,

Thanks for the tip concerning Mr. Franklin. Hopefully he's still available in the week I'll be in Oz, the ESF will do nicely if he happens to be fully booked.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Arno,

I shared a table with Anthony in a refuge in Grand Paradiso. He'd just bought two sixty-something clients across from Val D'Isere on a hut to hut tour. Seemed a really nice guy.

J
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jedster, i like him - you do need to take him with a bit of a pinch of salt sometimes (but you could probably say that about anyone!). the way to get the best out of him is let him do the organising. if you tell him that you definitely want to do something in particular, you might succeed in getting him to take you but he will tell you how his plan was better for the rest of the day Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
mjk, You could wander up to La Grave....there is a guides' bureau there. The skiing needn't be any more difficult that Alpe d'Huez, but as LG isn't pisted, it feels more adventurous.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ski wrote:
but as LG isn't pisted, it feels more adventurous.

not sure i'd agree with that
i tend to feel like a gaper at LG and a rock star at ADH (comparing myself with the other people) Laughing
and you'll see far fewer people off piste in ADH
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Arno,

Quote:

and you'll see far fewer people off piste in ADH

True - but it isn't hard (with a guide) to get away from the crowds in LG either. snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Crowded slopes don't really bother me too much. I like to be on the slopes at the crack of dawn/first lift up!

LG you say, how far a drive is that from Oz would you guys reckon?

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 8-02-08 10:29; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
mjk, allow about 45 mins

ski, yep - they come over to ADH Laughing seriously, though, you are right. it's only really on the classic itineraries at LG that you see many people
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy