Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Weight of skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Due to only managing to get the odd week maybe 2 per year, im always forced to hire skis. This does have its upside as I get to try
different things.

As I have got better/aggressive I have tended to rent Saloman Screams/B2/B3 etc... and really liked them, the always felt agile and light.

I managed to get a few days in Abetone Italy last weekend and it does not seem that the freeride skiing is very popular there, probably due to
the very on piste race orientation of the resort. So I had some Nordica carvers, they seamed incredible heavy to lift and lug around. I noticed
it less on piste, only when practicing jump turns on steeps (but I think the stiffness helped there). They were great at staying in contact & gripping with the quite icey conditions.

Was I imagining things or is there quite a difference in the weight of different types of ski ? what would be wrong with a ski that has the same stiffness/flexs/strength but incredible light. I think im heavy enough with out adding more to my total when I strap skis on.

I have also noticed my X-Wave 8 boots are much heavier than the newer replacements.

Jamie
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
They've got heavier and heavier over the last few years. Integrated binding systems and exotic materials (i.e. stuff other than wood) have contributed to this. My daughter has an old pair of X-screams and she won't change them as she reckons the new skis are just too heavy.

Rental skis, with their long-travel bindings, are heavier still Sad
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I thought my Streetracer 10's were heavy until I picked up some Salomon X-Waves at the weekend - I thought they were caught on something!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I honestly believe that being heavier makes you more susceptible to breaking bones, I have come off my mountain bike and
bounced, my heavier/taller mates have done the same and broken something!. Maybe its just my perception!.

note to self, must loose more weight before going skiing! rolling eyes

Or perhaps dont fall over as much!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Opps double posting http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=843342 Embarassed

Sorry im a bit new to this forum!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
This artical also points to the fact that liter skis are more adgile!

"The hole ski reduces inertia so transition between turns is easier
The hole in the tip of the ski and the fin cut-out in the tail reduces the mass of the ski. This reduces inertia so the mass of the ski is concentrated on the centre"

http://www.fischer-ski.com/en/news.php?show=detail&id_news=2069
from http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=35746
snow conditions
 brian
brian
taemo, xscreams and B2s were foam core skis. Lighter, but not long lasting, especially for heavier, more aggressive skiers.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yeah the screams and b2's are intermediate skis. and like brian says, are foam core. try doing 100 days on them and they are noodles ( i have owned both ). nowdays i ski Prior originals, a nice stiff, heavy wood core. after 80 or so days they still seem the same as the day i bought them.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy