Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is this season all it's made out to be?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Now I don't want to be completely flamed for offering a possible contrary view but is this season really any good? We had brilliant early snow; the best I've seen for a few years. Since then it has IMO been a bit of a let down. We have had some minor snow falls that have kept the slopes topped up but none of those sustained dumps you would expect to see in January. It seems the lower slopes of many resorts are reported as patchy and many pistes are pretty icy after the spring like conditions of the past few days.
This year is nothing like last season of course but nor is it like those classic seasons of 94/95, 2000/01 or even 2005/06. My rose coloured specs tell me that it never seemed to stop snowing then. For what it's worth I think it's a decidedly average season made to look good by the disaster of 2006/7.

I hope I can be proved wrong.

zzz
snow conditions
 brian
brian
zzz, yep, average after a very good start seems a fair summation.

Still not to worry, the PdS is right in the firing line for 30cm+ by Saturday, so that should cheer you up.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
brian, ,ah, happier already, and it's nearly beer o'clock.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
zzz, i can honestly say that it is above average. We never have as much snow as we've got and its only just started to get icy and we certainly dont have any green, or brown patches on any of our lower slopes.
However we could use some snow so the fact that meteo france are forecasting heavy snow tomorrow night is rather nice!
certianly not moaning this end of the alps
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
zzz, That's the summary in Gstaad as well. Everyone really grateful it isn't last year but after a stunning start it's got a bit flat in last couple of weeks ... described by loals as a 'Good Year' so far ...... ie average. I've found it superb .... but others know better
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Agenterre, if you're used to skiing in Scotland, every year (including last year) in the alps is super unbelievably orgasmic.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The straight answer to the question seems to be "no". We're all just so relieved that it's not like last year. I can't really comment with much authority though as I have still failed to get my skis on this season - those last few places on the snowHead mid season bash are looking mighty tempting!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chamonix has been fantastic, yesterday was the first really icy pistes I have found. SCGB numbers for the last 14 years ave 175 upper snow depth this year its 240cm although the lower slopes are slightly thinner.
We have 15-25 forecast for this weekend, happy days.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Maybe more snow would have been good - but personally, having plenty of snow and warm spring temperatures in January is an enjoyable combination! The weather forecast for the next week will give us a taste of a "real winter".... It'll be in time to put the slopes in fantastic shape for the February holidays which are so vital for the local businesses. I reckon that in terms of "high quality skiing days per week" it's probably been one of the best seasons for a long time. So far.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
zzz wrote:
none of those sustained dumps you would expect to see in January.

January is not normally a big month for snow because its to cold.

Snow dumps pick up after January.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
March 2006 was brilliant, but when I went to Courchevel in late Jan/early Feb 2006 they were talking about possibly closing the resort if they didn't get any more snow, whereas I doubt they are saying that this year.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think the early snow has made a great start to the season and the little dumps that have come since then have helped to keep the pistes and off piste in good condition. If the big dump they are promising happens in the next few days then it will be an above average start at least, only time will tell!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Personally after spending 13-20th jan in Courmayeur, I'd say it's the best european season I've ever had - face shots on piste and chest deep off piste, withouth leaving the boundaries of the resort? Fantastic!

Disclaimer: I've no idea how it's been since then as I no longer care, I've nothing else booked Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
zzz wrote:
Hi all,

This year is nothing like last season of course but nor is it like those classic seasons of 94/95, 2000/01 or even 2005/06.

Is that the same 2006 that everyone in Meribel was busy dodging the rocks and ground on the pist in Feb?. God knows I hope it's an improvement , my skiing adventures still dont begin for another month.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
In the Alps:

Nov was way above-average.

Dec was above-average.

Jan was below-average.

Most places between 500m and 1500m, particularly Italy, Austria, Andorra and Spain, urgently need a good topup.
snow report
Not as bad as last year. There has been plenty of unsettled weather so conditions are fine above 1500m. Below 1200, it has been too warm again which is not good for the loacl one-t-bar-and-a-cow type places that are often close, cheap and good with the kids. We seem to have had more than average quantities of föhn, temperature inversions (freezing in the fog but +5 at 1500m) and mild west wind. It looks like we will see some snow in the mountains over the next few days though.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes, best one yet for me. I think it's a La Nina year (someone correct me if I'm wrong Embarassed ). Means something like great in N/A, shocking in Europe?

Suffered from truly awful conditions at the tail end of Jan 2005/6 and 2006/7 in the PdS but superb 2004/5.
snow report
pam w, spot on.... snowHead
ski holidays
nbt, off-topic, sorry, but could you possibly tell me what
Quote:

face shots
are? I've seen this expression used elsewhere on here, but don't know what it means. (Hope I don't regret asking this.)

Whitegold,
Quote:

Jan was below-average

Really? I was in the Parsenn region 6th-20th, it dumped furiously the day I arrived and again on the middle Saturday. I saw no ice, no slush, no rocks, just lots and lots of beautiful snow. Was I skiing in a micro-climate of some sort?
latest report
Hurtle, a face shot (in skiing related terms Wink) is when the powder is deep enough to hit you in the face when you ski through it. Like this but deeper.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Whitegold wrote:
In the Alps:
Most places between 500m and 1500m, particularly Italy, Austria, Andorra and Spain, urgently need a good topup.

A rather sweeping generalisation? No urgent topup needed where I am in austria, indeed around 30cms a few days ago above 1100m.

On the general point of the thread I think I agree in the overall sentiment that after a great start a little disappointing there hasn't been more fresh powder days in the last 6 weeks or so, here at least.
snow report
rob@rar, Ah, thanks. I have also, with some embarrassment, noted your winking emoticon. Embarassed Embarassed
snow conditions
Face shot

whilst we were in Engelberg a few seasons back, the chap in photo currently has 2 broken legs and a broken wrist from a ski accident whilst on a blue piste - so, far safer off piste getting face shots.
ski holidays
waynos, Fantastic photo! What on earth happened to him on the blue piste? Shocked
latest report
waynos, is he on skis that are 3 metres wise? He's leaving a big wake in the snow behind him!
snow conditions
Hurtle, Not quite sure, too much speed and hit a nasty lump the piste basher had left, both legs broke around top of boots, but full recovery expected in time for next season. anyway we're get in trouble for being of topic in a moment.
ski holidays
rob@rar, I think there was another cut in the snow already,plus a wide stance. It was his first time in powder! It was so dry that day you just cut through it with so little effort. Ahh sweet dreams.
latest report
Hurtle, I think the other have covered it nicely. Face full of snow- leaves you gasping for breath and face stinging from the cold. Really wakes you up and gets you going, especially as you;re momentraliy blinded so need to be able to skii by feel until you can see what's next (quite possibly more of the same if you're lucky!)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
zzz wrote:
Now I don't want to be completely flamed for offering a possible contrary view

You should know that snow reporting comes down to perception, sentiment, marketing and spin.

How your season is depends on where you are and what kind of skiing you are doing. If you are skiing on piste or above 2000 meters there is not a great deal to separate this season and last season. Last season was nowhere near as bad as spun by the press and this season is nowhere near as good, at least in France/Switzerland. Currently we have had one of the hottest Januarys on record with a whopping +25C in the Alpes Martimes the other day. At lower altitudes, below 1500 meters, there is not a huge amount to separate the seasons. This year is below average at those levels in France.

Tour Operators and businesses are wetting their knickers because they have had a very very good Christmas, whereas last Christmas was generally poor. But for many ski businesses run on thin profit margins a few % either way can be the difference between feast and famine. Listening to the ski business is not a good way of judging snow conditions.

Sentiment and spin are very important factors. The Press were painting a terrible picture last year just as the year before that there were endless stories of "off piste hoodlums" setting off avalanches left right and center. Most of the ski reporting in the mainstream press is very generalized and not that accurate.

So yes, to date, below average to poor under 1500 meters. Average 1500-2000 meters and a bit above average higher up. We would generally expect more snow on the mountains this time of year. Off piste the quality of the snow has not been variable with a lot of high winds and high temperatures spoiling conditions somewhat.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
davidof wrote:
Most of the ski reporting in the mainstream press is very generalized and not that accurate.

Extraneous use of the word "ski" there, David.
ski holidays
It would appear that this winter is better than average, not brilliant.
There has been a lot of rainfall at lower levels due to mild temps, but reasonable falls of snow at higher elevations.

I don't think winter is finished this year by a long way, so hopefully a lot of resorts will have an extended season this year to make up income lost in 2007.
ski holidays
stanton wrote:

January is not normally a big month for snow because its to cold.

Snow dumps pick up after January.

Sorry but I don't think it is ever too cold to snow. This is just a myth. If a weather front comes along it will precipitate regardless of the temperature.

Do agree that it tends to snow more in Feb though.

davidoff, a good summary.

zzz
snow conditions
zzz, well i've been skiing in Jan for the last 3 years and this year was the best yet! Blue skies, sun shining, quiet pistes, I could ask for little more. I guess those looking to enjoy the off piste action a little more than me would like more frequent top ups but I found conditions in the PDS generally to be marvelous Smile
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
waynos, is he on skis that are 3 metres wise? He's leaving a big wake in the snow behind him!
he is sitting on top of the piste basher
snow report
nbt wrote:
Personally after spending 13-20th jan in Courmayeur, I'd say it's the best european season I've ever had - face shots on piste and chest deep off piste, withouth leaving the boundaries of the resort? Fantastic!

Disclaimer: I've no idea how it's been since then as I no longer care, I've nothing else booked Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

I went to Klosters 5th - 12th and it was the best Jan conditions I have ever had. Fresh powder everywhere and snow at start of week and end of week. It then dumped all through the subsequent week. So I havent checked for a while but heh it seems like the season is going pretty swell. You can't expect non stop snow all throughout.
ski holidays
davidof wrote:
zzz wrote:
Now I don't want to be completely flamed for offering a possible contrary view

You should know that snow reporting comes down to perception, sentiment, marketing and spin.

How your season is depends on where you are and what kind of skiing you are doing. If you are skiing on piste or above 2000 meters there is not a great deal to separate this season and last season. Last season was nowhere near as bad as spun by the press and this season is nowhere near as good, at least in France/Switzerland.

davidof, a little generalistic. Last season my friend went boarding in Avoriaz over Xmas and New Year and he was so disappointed by the lack of snow, there was grass everywhere and wasn't the whole resort of Les Gets closed for a while last season.

I visitied St Anton in early Feb and although there was enough snow to ski most of the resort was thin and patchy and there was lots of grass and mud showing through. The guide informed us that it was the worst season he had experienced and he had grown up in Arlberg!

hmmm Yes sure it started to snow from Mid Feb onwards but this is already 1/2 ways done!
latest report
zzz, On checking the snow reports I am tempted to ask what are you talking about!

Ski Club of Great Britain state most of Austria as Excellent, 60% of Switz as Excellent and although France is mostly Packed there is snow forecast between 15-30cm throughout alps over the next 3 days.

Also just checked the web cam for Avoriaz and it all looks white!

Isn't this pretty damn amazing?
latest report
plectrum wrote:
zzz, On checking the snow reports I am tempted to ask what are you talking about!

Ski Club of Great Britain state most of Austria as Excellent, 60% of Switz as Excellent and although France is mostly Packed there is snow forecast between 15-30cm throughout alps over the next 3 days.

Also just checked the web cam for Avoriaz and it all looks white!

Isn't this pretty damn amazing?

Austria has probably had the best of the winter.

If 60% of Switz is excellent, what about the other forty?

Avoriaz, or anywhere else would look white on a webcam with 5cms snow!

No it's not damn amazing, it's the beginning of Feb, the peak of the ski season.

The 15-30 cm is a much needed top up.

All I'm saying is, don't believe the hype.

ATB zzz
snow conditions
zzz, Well all I know is that I had fun and experienced the best conditions I have ever had in the week 5th - 12th Jan. I have skiied in France / Switz & Austria during this period over numerous years.

You always need a top up as this is what causes a great season, if it is always snowing with poor visibility then it is poor as many skiers cannot ski in those conditions. Are you in Morzine at the moment?
ski holidays
davidof, very interesting. Last season I spent most of my time at low altitude in the PdS and it was not great by PdS standards. Val T at the EoSB appeared worse than last year but was surprisingly (for me) good off piste and higher up. I guess when the temperatures creep up and the sun comes out, the difference between north and south faces is also more distinguishable (as in you can still find good stuff amongst the rubbish)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy