Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First ski trip to France!!

Poster: A snowHead
Hey Everyone!

I've just returned from my first ever ski trip to Montgenevre, France and had a great time.
The place we stayed at is beautiful and it has a virtual tour online of the facilities & also a few shots on-piste......

Thought you guys might like to see it to get you in the mood for your own trips this season,
Its worth looking at so here's the link:
http://www.revolutionviewing.co.uk/chaletblanc/local-area/index.html

Enjoy!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yeah its a great resort. Glad to hear you enjoyed it.
latest report
 brian
brian
ggrant, welcome to snowHead s.

Any personal connection between you and the hotel ?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thankyou! No its just where I stayed.
I just thought the place was stunning and wanted
to share it with everyone. Bear in mind that was my first
ever ski trip!!! Was (and still am) a little overwhelmed by it all!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hello ggrant, welcome to snowHead s

People are often a little suspcious when a first-time poster puts in a link that is a bit promotional Shocked
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Aw fair enough I can understand
people being suspicious.
But no connection didnt mean to
offend any one
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ggrant, I'm not offended, I think you're the real thing and welcome to snowHead

(and if you're not I doubt you'll be back....)
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thankyou.
So where should
I go for ski trip
number 2?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ggrant, What ability skiier are you?
what sort of resort do you want? traditional or big ski resort ie Montgenevre or Val Thorens
would you be returning this year?
do you want a package or do you want to go independantly? therefore which travel arrangements suit you with airports and flights.

Then I might be able to suggest a resort.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ggrant,

I don't know how many French resorts are like Montgenevre but would be surprised if it is less than 100. Just a few miles on the same road you can hit Serre Chevalier if you don't side track to Puy St Vicent. Coming out of the valley there are La Grave, Les Deux Alpes and L'Alps D'Heuz. With the exception of La Grave the others are between 2 to 2.5 times larger than Montgenevre.

Montgenevre is of course one end of the Milky Way. The rest is about 3 times larger and is formed by Italian resorts which you can ski to from Montenevre.

This is just one valley in France. Switzerland, Austria and Italy also have many valleys in the Alps. You need to live over 100 to try them all.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 31-01-08 18:50; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Welllllll ggrant, there's a current thread on all the places people want to go...I'd say it depends whether you want somewhere similar or different. Myself, I've got a bit stuck on France for the following reasons:

I like the mega ski areas where you can tour all day on reds and blues eg 3 valleys or 3V on here, Val D'Isere (VDI) / Tignes (aka Espace Killy), Morzine / Les Gets / Avoriaz (Portes De Soleil or PDS), Les Arcs / La Plagne (Paradski).

Ones with reasonably high altitude (all of the above except PDS) to be as sure as possible that there's some good snow about.

Shortish transfers - Add Grand Massif (Flaine / Samoens / Les Carroz ) to the above, maybe take off VDI.

Go elsewhere (or to an outlying bit of the above areas) if you want pretty or authentic but when anybody asks me my preference I think it boils down to "high in France"

However, in the few weeks I've been on this site - all human life is here (or at least the ones that like snow) and you will find many views - but happy obsessioning

snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ggrant, Welcome to snowHead ... it will All get better !
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi ggrant!

I enjoyed a 2nd week of skiing in Montgenevre 7 years ago, haven't looked back since.

So, you are now hooked, looking for your next "fix"?

The world is your oyster, so try a different resort, a different country (not that I've got anything against France per se) and enjoy the variety that exists.

The Where to Ski and Snowboard book is very useful in finding the resorts that have the qualities that you feel are important. (I do solemnly swear no personal connection between me and the editors or publishers of said book on pain of death by ski-pole skewering wink )
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I also just got back from my first visit to Montgenevre. Extremely beautiful with more than half the skiing below the tree line - so some fantastic tree skiing in powder. Sorry the pictures didn't show the Rocher de l'Aigle area which is probably the most fun off-piste in the actual Montgenevre valley. The rest of the Milky Way was more affected by the wind but obviously has a big area with lots of potential in better conditions. Also did a day down the road in Serre Chevalier which was totally devastated by the wind (mid height pistes were OK but the bottom was ice and the off piste just wind crust and breakable crust - Nasty. However Puis St Vincent was rather better - especially a sheltered valley we got to with a small walk from the top... we arrived at Luc Alphonse's bar (and mini-brewery) at the bottom - very nice beer (we were all stood a beer by an old guide who was tickled that some English guys had skied to his lovely old Village off piste). Not many people were skiing the off piste in Montgenevre, though we noticed that when we skied something in view of a lift a couple of boarders would often copy us just afterwards.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 1-02-08 11:23; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks everyone!
Well I was thinking ..
maybe Switzerland?
Im only a beginner and I would like
a lot of snow .
Want to try different places,
That book sounds good.
Thanks again everyone.
So reccomendations 4
Switzerland? l
snow report
Montgenevre has relatively few English - which you may or may not like (personally I like). Austria has more tree skiing and picturesque villages but relatively low (but low when it is far East in the Alps can be OK). French places tend to be purpose built modern and above the tree line. Do you want a smaller place which is uncrowded and better value or somewhere with a huge skiing area and more international?
You might well like somewhere like Wengen in Switzerland (part of Jungfrau - huge thread on it here ). Stupendous scenery and traffic free village. A cog railway (or a cable car) to get you out of the village and skiing past the mighty North face of the Eiger towards Grindelwald. Piste map of area here .

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 1-02-08 11:50; edited 1 time in total
latest report
ggrant,

You should go to Switzerland after trying out Italy and Austia first. In general large Swiss resorts are not beginner-friendly as the French and Italian.

Austria and Switzerland are places to go when you are comfortable with red slopes, unless you go to the very small resorts that are not marketed for the international skiers.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
saikee, Agreed ... didn't like to say it but generally Switzerland is more demanding imho ..
snow report
Is that true of Wengen? You could be right: it is ages since I went there because I just don't find enough ski challenge in the area now - but I remembered it as a beginner and intermediate area. But perhaps it is more early intermediate than beginner? I'd have thought it was easier than Montgenevre.
snow report
ggrant, Have a look at this thread for beginners in Switzerland snowHead
snow report
Wengen has a couple of beginner friendly runs, but it's probably geared up to people who ski reds.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy