Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing with contact lenses

Poster: A snowHead
This year will be the first year that I will skiing with lenses in place. Do they fog up? Any helpful tips and pointers gratefully received.

Cheers

Dobby
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I wera gas permeable lenses for skiing only.
They are awesome.
No problems.
Wear eye protestion at all time to prevent them getting blown out.
If you need to take them out then do it inside on a cleared table.
If you drop one in the snow then mark a 1 metre patch in the snow around the drop zone, you will eventually find it, but will look like a total prat whilst searching.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I wear daily disposables and havent had a problem but always have sunglasses or goggle on. Never had a problem with them falling out but they do dry out aftre a whole day - but that could be just me as I have quite dry eyes Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
dobby, I only use contacts for skiing. I just use the one day throwaway ones. Much better than glasses, which I used to have loads of problems with fogging under the ski goggles with. Never had problems with them coming out / getting blown out.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
dobby, I have worn contact lenses since I was 18, and have been skiing since I was 38 (now 49 Sad ).

I have never had the slightest problem with them while skiing - although it is gas permeables that I wear, which are uncommon nowadays.

I'm not sure why Frosty thinks there is any risk of them being blown out, but I wouldn't personally ski without goggles or sunglasses anyhow.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I wear daily disposables when skiing. No probs at all but useful to take a spare set out with you just in case, especially if the ski area is some way from your accommodation. Sometimes when I go fast Shocked my vision goes a bit blurry, must be to do with all that air rushing round my goggles Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
This will also be my first year skiing with them in. I am using monthly disposables but I'm gonna stock up on dailies before I leave and take some spares up the mountain with me.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Never had a problem, just wear eye protection. wink

Sometimes get a little dry in warmer weather, but no problems you wouldnt get anywhere else Smile
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've worn monthly disposibles for years - no problems whatsoever whether wearing goggles/shades/nothing (eyewear that is)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
dobby, Me too Very Happy I've tried my new disposables at MK on a couple of occasions but the first time on the mountain will be a week on Saturday. I'm planning on wearing goggles.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
alex_heney, With hard lenses there is a slight danger of them popping out, be it with fast moving air at the wrong angle, or pulling the skin around the eye.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks, everyone. I wear eyewear when skiing (despite my slow speed). May invest in a helmet this year....but that's a different debate..... Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I always ski with soft lenses and never been any trouble...

I can't imagine them ever fogging up. I always presumed blinking would take care of that...? Puzzled
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you're going long-haul, you might want to take them out on the flight. The atmosphere in an aircraft is very dry and lenses can get pretty uncomfortable after a few hours.

Skiing will be fine, though.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Frosty the Snowman, I think this is really only true in the (relatively) early stages.

The last time I had one come out spontaneously was about 28 years ago (while I was ice skating in Nottingham). I had only been wearing them for about 3 years at the time.
snow report
alex_heney, I only wear them for skiing. I also remeber a couple of occaisions when cricketers have lost lenses in innocuous circumstances.
snow report
Another vote for daily disposables - I have worn them skiing (and sailing) usually with sunglasses for many years. If there was enough breeze for soft contact lenses to blow out you would probably be skiing way faster than you should. (Likewise if sailing and there was enough wind to blow them out you should probably be tucked up in a pub and not out on a boat.)

Interesting observation about contact lenses - no matter how drunk I get I always remember to take them out before going to bed, despite the fact that I am not aware of having them in my eyes except that I can obviously see better! Cool
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
alex_heney, I only wear them for skiing.

Fair enough. In that case you probably never get beyond the "relatively early" stage Little Angel
snow report
Have had no problem with dailies for skiing. In fact I usually find them more comfortable than non-skiing use, possibly because they tend to stay well lubricated with the outside elements. No fogging at all.
ski holidays
As above: I can wear mine for an hour in the office, or all day in the fresh, cool air of the mountains Very Happy
snow report
Daily disposables for me too.

Just for skiing, golf and diving.

Only problem is reading maps with them in. You cannot take them off like spectacles.
snow report
I where daily disposables all the time, I've worn them since I was 16 (now 34). I've been sking all through that time and have never had one fall out, dry out or freeze (I read on another forum that someone thought they might freeze).

But I still take a spare with me on the slopes - just in case!
latest report
HoundDog wrote:
I where daily disposables all the time, I've worn them since I was 16 (now 34). I've been sking all through that time and have never had one fall out, dry out or freeze (I read on another forum that someone thought they might freeze).

Come on! Contact freeze??? What kind of crazy suggestion is that?

Does your eyeball freeze?

But if you don't wear some sort of eye protection (glasses or goggle) they might feel quite dry.
snow report
Had no problem at all with dailies even without sunglasses or goggles until the evenings in smoky bars!
snow report
I must be the only person who had a problem then. I had mine totally stuck to my eyeballs after a full day skiing! Very scary! Eventually got them out with eyedrops.
snow report
No bother with me either. Although I di always wear goggles or shades
snow conditions
I've skied in contacts since about 1990 and only had them fall out 3 times, each time managing to catch them - once on the cheek, once on the inside of my sunglasses and once on the toe of my ski boot! Each time it has been when going very quick, with wide eyes from the adrenalin and wind rushing past. Then when I blink, the lens pops out.

Now when going very fast I have to almost consciously tell myself to blink every few seconds to keep the eyes moist and the lenses in...this seems to work and I have not had any fall out for a few seasons now. As everyone else has said, they're infinitely better than glasses.
snow report
abc wrote:

Come on! Contact freeze??? What kind of crazy suggestion is that?

Does your eyeball freeze?

LOL I thought that was nuts as well Laughing

If they did freeze, it'll be like looking through a klaidascope!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Renry wrote:

Yep. How can anyone skiing without some sort of wind shield for their eyes is beyond me.
snow conditions
Another "they're brilliant" post.

Just make sure you take some spares...the thought of having to ski in glasses under goggles is horrible...I did it once when I was younger before I had contacts...NEVER ever again!

As any convert to lenses will tell you, it's lovely being able to walk into a warm room (esp pub, bar etc) and not "steam up" - this even more so in the mountains..Smile

Contacts rule.

Ed
latest report
abc wrote:
Renry wrote:

Yep. How can anyone skiing without some sort of wind shield for their eyes is beyond me.

Wasn't intentional - I had borrowed googles for my 1st ever trip, but they were awful - plastic things with purple lenses, one of which had a big graze over it & I couldn't stand not being able to see clearly.
snow report
Have skied for several years with monthly disposables - no issues at all beyond what might happen on a normal day of wear.
However couple of things, especially if you're not used to wearing them:
Make sure you take a spare with you, just in case one breaks/gets lost etc. Unlikely but you never know...
Also, might be an idea to bring their carry case and some glasses - just in case they start to hurt and you want to take them out. (This happened to my gf when we were miles from the resort, very glad to have had a backup plan!). If you do this and it's cold - don't forget to put the case somewhere warm so it won't freeze!
latest report
The only drawback with my contacts is that I'm being told not to wear them for any longer than necessary. This means I need to carry contact lenses, goggles, sunglasses (for when I take my goggles off and still have my lenses in), presription sunglasses for when I've finished skiing and have taken the lenses out, and ordinary specs for the evenings rolling eyes
latest report
Daily disposables for me too.... although occasionally lose a beggar ... usually through rubbing an eye. I then ski better rolling eyes
snow report
I usually wear gas permeables but use dailies for sports, they don't seem to dry out as much under windy conditions and it means I don't have to travel with bottles of cleaning and wetting solutions.
snow conditions
Megamum, why are you told this? Have you ever tried wearing them for a full day?
snow report
Fergus, I used to wear them full time years and years ago - loved them, would put them in when I woke and take them out as I went to bed - didn't own a pair of specs. It was in the days when even soft lenses were thick, and you couldn't get dailys. Over the years my eye started to respond to the lack of oxygen and blood vessels started to grow towards the lens. If they had continued across the lens I would have 'seen' them, even if I had then stopped the blood would have gone over time, but I would still have been able to see the empty blood vessels. So I was stopped from wearing them Skullie I hate my specs with a passion, and tried having OTG goggles for skiing, but they just steam up so this year looked for alternative, i.e. prescription lenses in goggles. In the finish I asked a new optician for contact lenses and was told I could have some disposables as they are so much thinner now, but I have to behave responsibly with them and only wear them for 'high days and holidays' - If I'm good she will let me wear them for a whole weeks skiing holiday but I must put them in just before I go out to ski and take them out the moment I'm back in the afternoon. I want to wear them whilst skiing so I've told her that I'll be good.
snow report
Megamum, sounds like your optician is being somewhat overcautious. A week's worth of wearing lenses a little longer than you should won't make the blood vessels grow. They can't grow that qucikly. Put them in jsut before you leave the chalet and take them out when you get back to the room.

From what you say about your blood vessel growth your eyes are the same as my mother's. Mum's been wearing lenses since the 60's on a daily basis and does have some blood vessel growth but its not getting any worse because modern lenses are so much better at allowing oxygen through. Might be worth getting a second opinion from a different optician.

One note of caution to anyone that wears daily disposables and carries a spare pair with them. Make sure you store them inside your jacket, as they can free in their packs if you store them in an outer pocket or a rucksack and the lenses are useless once they're frozen.
snow report
Another vote for daily disposable, never had any problems with them.

To give my eyes a rest I take them out at 5ish and wear my glasses.

Completely agree with the earlier post that however drunk you can always do lens - the one exception is when I had taken them out, woke up at about 4 convinced I hadn't and spent ages trying to take them out Shocked
ski holidays
LOL, yeah, I've slept with monthlies in on quite a few occasions. Usually I'll just wake up the next morning with very dry eyes but they soon go back to normal.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy