Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Steamy Goggles

Poster: A snowHead
Can someone help me!!

Went skiing last year and my goggles kept steaming up. Me and my boyfrield have the same goggles so we kept swapping to see if that made a difference. He had no problems which ever pair he had one and I couldnt see which ever pair I had on!!!
It made the slopes very interesting!! Maybe its the shape of my head thats the problem??!?

Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Vented Lenses should solve the issue for you! Oakley do them as standard now on most of their goggles
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I used to have this problem with my motorcycle crash helmet. Solution rub some washing up liquid on inside of the lens and polish off with kitchen roll. Don't know why it works but it does. Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
anacabana, When you weren't actually skiing, did you raise the goggles and put them on your head?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Perhaps you perspire more? Or perhaps the way you breathe tends to send the moist air up the vents more?
I thought goggles were all vented now. Good double-glazed goggles are really worth the extra.
Standing around tends to make it worse - try to keep moving and avoid (if you can) taking them off. And don't put them up on your forehead (sweat again).
If the worst comes to the worst - have a nice soft cloth to wipe them. Over time tissues will scratch them and take off the non-mist coating they arrive with.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
JP wrote:
I used to have this problem with my motorcycle crash helmet. Solution rub some washing up liquid on inside of the lens and polish off with kitchen roll. Don't know why it works but it does. Very Happy

Some (most?) goggle lenses have a gel layer on the inside which might be damged by washing up liquid. Well vented or double lenses should do the trick. If you wear a helmet, that may block vents in the upper edge of the goggle frame.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A friend of mine has always had problems with fogging, no matter which goggles he bought, so he always ended up ripping out huge chunks of the foam to get more airflow, with the result that he had less fogging, but a cold face. He admits to being "a bit sweaty"...

This year, he turned up with some of these: http://www.technical-gear.com/goggles/smith_goggles/snow_goggles/prodigy_turbofan.htm

They have a small extractor fan built into the top of the goggles, and while they're expensive (£125!) he was raving about them from day 2 onwards. For everyone else, it can be a little disconcerting to be sat next to someone on a chairlift who has a wide smile and a gentle buzzing coming from their direction Embarassed

On the slow setting, they're virtually silent, but on the fast setting its a bit like the background hum from a PC. He wouldn't be without them now, and the look on his face when he realised he'd left them in a gondola cabin was priceless! Fortunately for him, after a quick radio call the staff sent them back up a few minutes later, and all was well.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yeah I did put them on my head but mainly because I couldnt see out of them!! Dont wear a helmet and I made sure I put them over my hat and tried to keep the vents clear! Maybe I'll stick to sunnies!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Make sure you don't have anything blocking the vents at the top/bottom. On a cold day it's all too easy to pull your hat down and scarf up over your mouth and nose and it will mist up quick. The little misting I've experienced soon clears once you get moving.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
you can buy a product called FogX from halfords to put on the inside - it does work. often comes in a twin pack with RainX which you can put on the outside to help rain/wet snow bead off. used on windscreens and motorbike helmet visors.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The reasons that the goggles steam up for you and not your boyfriend are either because he's fitter than you, or because you're working harder than him, or quite likely a combination of both.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
JP, condensation is little beads of water, the slight residue of the soap breaks the surface tension and the bubbles of water can form. The water is still probably there but sits in a single film rather than in beads hence you can still see. The proprietry products you can buy are just fancy surfactants (silicone or soap based), but a drop of washing up liquid works just as well - it generally buffs up nice and shiney Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I wouldn't put your googles on over your hat (if you mean the top part of the goggles was sitting on your hat), but have them so that your goggles are on your skin abutting your hat. Putting goggles on hats can cause condensation. Did your boyfirend also have his on top of his hat?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
NB I can't read the title without thinking Tina Turner!!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Both put them over hats but we've got different shaped hats (mine have got ear flaps but I do push them back out of the way!). Might try the washing up liquid option or the halfords solution.
Thank you
latest report
puting goggles up on your hat is a sure way to mist up. Vapour comes out of your hat and condensesd on your goggles.
snow conditions
anacabana, Ideally, you should put them over your eyes when you start skiing, and only move them when you stop for a coffee or a meal - at which point you take them off completely.

Never ever push them up over a hat if you don't want them steaming up (helmets are usually OK).

If they aren't double glazed, then it will be worth investing in a pair that are. The majority of those on sale nowadays are.
ski holidays
And don't wear a neck thingie right up over your mouth and nose! Or, if you do, hold your breath. You can buy some anti fogging stuff, I believe? Divers spit in their masks - washing up liquid sounds more pleasant. Something to do with surface tension I expect.
ski holidays
backhojo, good choice - I use both and they work well.
snow report
I have this occasionaly. This year I ripped the foam top vent out of goggles, completly resolved the problem.
snow conditions
Christopher wrote:
I have this occasionaly. This year I ripped the foam top vent out of goggles, completly resolved the problem.

What if it rains? Your eyeballs will drown.
snow report
i bought some new anti-foag goggles and was told not to rub the glass for any reason, and if they get wet simply let them dry on thier own or shake them dry and at most dab them gently with the bag the came with. It seems the anti-fog coating can be rubbed off.

With scuba masks we used to rub a little bit of tooth paste on the inside of the them to stop them from fogging up, and it worked really well.
latest report
rayscoops, toothpaste may have been OK on a tempered glass mask, but given its mildly abrasive qualities I don't think it would be recommended for skiing goggles which seem to have largely plastic lenses. I suspect that over time the plastic would become scratched.
ski holidays
Megamum, just a little bit mixed with water, just lightly rubbed on with a finger then rinse the goggles out, other option is spray on stuff or throw the goggles way wink so a little bit of abrassion over a few years is the least of worries snowHead In the same situation I have simply bought a new pair of gogs
ski holidays
The toothpaste is to get rid of the coating manufacturers put on dive masks to keep them sparkling in the shop. Do it to plastic and you'll scratch them to buggery - don't do it! Shocked Don't know what else to suggest though.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy