Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

HELP! I can't get my girlfriend to leave the bunny hill!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, I have a problem... I can't get my girlfriend to leave the bunny hill.

Some background - we started skiing together recently (I'd been skiing once before 7 years ago when I was a kid) and had fun on the bunny hill for the first couple trips. Then I wanted to try something more, so I convinced her to try a green trail with me. Well, turns out we were definately not ready for a green trail. We both fell down a few times. It didn't really bother me to fall much, but it shook her up.

Since then we've been to the hill 4 more times (been skiing 6 times now) and we're both a lot better. I handle the green trails fine now, and can turn stop and all with no problems. My girlfriend is probably even better than I am (she used to skate) and turns great and has good control. She is very stubborn though and starts yelling at me and is ready to start crying when I try to push her to leave the bunny hill and try a green trail with me.

So yeah, a lot of this is my fault for pushing her to try a harder hill before she was ready (to be fair I was unaware how rough it would be for us) also she is afraid of heights and doesnt like the lift. She says she will try the trails "eventually, maybe after 15 or so more trips on the bunny hill" though she doesnt sound very convincing.

Any tips or help would be very much appreciated - I need to get her skiing the trails so I'm not stuck on the bunny hill the rest of the season! Thank all!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
DaveSki, from what you've described, it doesn't sound like you've taken lessons. This will be the first of a whole heap of posts suggesting that you do so, and that perhaps your GF should have some private lessons, on her own, given that she is less confident than you.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
From personal experience I would say trying to teach your partner is a disaster waiting to happen, especially if you are a novice skier yourself. Pam is right: get some lessons. Your girlfriend will feel significantly more confident to leave the bunny slope if she is with an instructor.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lessons or find a different GF.

Who is being stubborn here?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DaveSki, Lessons.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
DaveSki, one on one private lesson for your GF will sort it out i am sure
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lessons for sure snowHead If she'd had lessons by now she'd be well skiing on the mountain especially as you say she has good ability. Lessons will increase her confidence no end.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DaveSki, lessons, preferably with a "hunk". This will both distract her from her fears and make her want to impress him as much as she can. wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another vote for lessons... an instructor would have a complete newbie off the bunny slopes and onto the greens confidently within a few days
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
DaveSki, from the language you use in your post, I assume that by saying that you've gone skiing six times, you mean six days skiing in total?

In which case, if you've not had lessons, then I'd be much more patient with your girlfriend, I'm sure that she'll come round in her own time. Lessons would help you both though.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If neither of you were ready for green trails, perhaps you could both do with some private lessons. At least you'd be learning together and the pressure would be taken off you both: it's far easier for a woman to learn from a handsome ski instructor than it is to learn from her boyfriend!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ditto what everyone else says...lessons. Years ago, following my first couple of trips where I was pretty nervous and stuck to greens I had 1 half day lesson in Whister on a supergroup which because it was low season turned out to be 2 people. The other girl was even more nervous than me. at the end of the lesson me and the instructor (the other girl downloaded) skiied back pretty quick down what in Europe would have been a red. Ceratinly sorted me out.
Seeing as you are in Vancouver, defo get to a proper resort and get some proper lessons.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It's really strange. I mis-read the heading as "HELP! I can't get my girlfriend to leave the benny hill!"
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
another vote for lessons - my OH had never skied before we went on holiday last year and he and my brother's OH (who had been for a week before but had a terrible instructor so hadn't really learned much) went into a beginners class with about 3 other people and by the end of the first morning the whole class was out and about on green runs and by the second or third morning were onto blues Very Happy. Sooooo worthwhile - my dad and brother both used to be instructors and I would say I am a pretty decent skier, all been skiing for many years, but we wouldn't have dreamed of trying to teach them ourselves from scratch - obviously we are very annoying and constantly give tips when skiing together in the afternoon Toofy Grin We thought maybe we could all ski together by the end of the week but as it was even on the first afternoon we could all cruise around some easy runs together, even my brother's OH loved it and got on really quickly and she was very nervous at the start after the terrible experience the year before.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If, as I suppose, these are single day trips - a few days in succession on the slopes (with lessons) should sort it. After a solid week of lessons I gather that most beginners are permanently on the big mountain. (It is too long ago for me to remember and the equipment was more difficult when I learned).
snow conditions
Lessons will make the difference. Suprised you have not thought to do it yourself.
snow report
Lessons - definitely - they work for me!!
snow conditions
Dump her Toofy Grin Toofy Grin and find a pro rider and follow her across the Alps Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Ordhan, like young lady:

Quote:
I am studying for my Doctorate in snowboard design and for my work ended up having to buy an high speed camera to get action shots. I kinda realised it had more uses than just taking pictures of snowboarders.

I love traveling and meeting new people. But snowboarding is my passion.
snow report
Get her some lessons.

Then tell her straight.

Ski down the hill. Or sack her off.
snow report
trying to teach your other half to ski or board is akin to pouring acid into your eyes..
snow conditions
Quote:

super-snowHead

Quote:
I am studying for my Doctorate in snowboard design and for my work ended up having to buy an high speed camera to get action shots. I kinda realised it had more uses than just taking pictures of snowboarders.

I love traveling and meeting new people. But snowboarding is my passion.

Only shame is she likes tea trays instead of skis Very Happy agree with the last post about teaching your partner and acid in the eyes after 3 weeks I just caved in and got my dad to teach my other half worked a treat. She can carve but only carves across the hill instead of down it rolling eyes and wonders why she cnat keep up Laughing At least she doesnt mind us blasting off into the distance Toofy Grin

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy