Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is it OK to use an MP3 player when skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
My GF has bought a sexy new ski jacket which comes with an MP3 pocket and routing for the wires.

Half of me likes the idea of tunes skiing, the other half thinks it's probably a good thing to be able to hear other skiers as they come screaming past.

Is there a consensus on MP3 player use skiing?
snow report
 brian
brian
mdemon2, as much as there is on wearing helmets and skiing whilst pregnant. rolling eyes

I sometimes take mine, especially when going fast and not wearing a helmet. Not been pregnant yet though. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There's no consensus and you'll find advocates on both sides. Laughing
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
mdemon2, if I'm skiing alone, I'll often wear mine, but with just one earpiece in, and on a moderately low volume. That way I get to benefit from the music, but can still be aware of those around me. When I get on a lift I put both 'phones in!!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
if i'm skiing without my kids, i usually ski with mine on, and on nice and loud, too.
but my situational awareness is quite good and i use my eyes a lot.
since the primary responsibility in skiing (and boarding) is surely with the uphill skier/boarder, you place a lot of trust in your fellow man or woman, but i'm happy to take the chance. so far it's not caused me any problems.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If I'm skiing on my own I often ski with mine on.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mdemon2, I guess it depends where you go - the last time I used mine there were less than 20 people on the mountain Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Like has been said. If on my own then I take it otherwise its just too antisocial.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mdemon2, I don't take music with me on the slopes - but for me it's more to do with enjoying the relative quiet and peacefulness.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
When I'm on my own, which is happening more and more, I'll have it on loud Cool Helps me 'tune out' of all the barging and bustling at the lift queues and saves you having to listen to noisy foreigners on the chairs rolling eyes
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mdemon2 wrote:
Is it OK to use an MP3 player when skiing?

If it's playing 'Ride of the Valkyries, maybe not. If it's playing 'scraping noises of boarders right behind your @rse', maybe yes.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Is it OK to type&send short messages while skiing Puzzled
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thank you. I'll take mine then, although I doubt I'll feel like using it.

"Ride of the Valkyries" sounds like a great tune for coming down a mogul field. "Night on Bear Mountain" maybe?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tried it but hated it. It made me realise how much I rely on aural feedback while I'm skiing, and I felt nervous not being able to hear other skiers.

That says more about me than the principle of using an MP3 player. You might love it.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mdemon2,

I'll copy paste an anecdote of mine that happened a couple of weeks back...just for chit chat really:

Quote:

That said, one of my mates, on our first morning, put his ipod earphones in, with his helmet on top. Everytime we stopped and talked, his answers were "wot? eh? hang on.." and he'll take a glove off, fish the ipod out his "ipod special" O'neil jacket, turn the volume down, make us repeat and give us a proper answer...

After two runs, he got fed-up (so were we!) and got the earphones out, never to be worn again whilt boarding...
ski holidays
Elizabeth B wrote:
When I get on a lift I put both 'phones in!!
Remind me not to sit next to you. (& if the person is French I like to practice my French)

No music while skiing for me thank you. I prefer to concentrate on one experience or the other.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowball, that's precisely why I do it. If I am skiing on my own, it's because I want to be on my own, not having to make small talk with some random person who happens to be on the same lift as me.
snow conditions
Can ope Worms Everywhere Toofy Grin
latest report
Some tunes on a long lift can be good but I'm not convinced anyone can really be 100% aware of what's going on around them on the piste if they have got something blarring in their ears. Or maybe I'm just getting old.... Sad
ski holidays
I don't use one, I like the sound of the air rushing past my ears and the sounds of the skis on the snow! And the 'Dukes of Hazzard' CB talk from the members of our group!!
snow conditions
I wore mine at very low volume last year in Cervinia in the mornings as I was skiing alone while my daughter was in ski school. I could still hear everything around me but as a middling intermediate I found it great for calming nerves on trickier bits. I enjoy the silence on the mountains but sometimes the combination of scenery, skiing and great tunes was brilliant. Storming down the red Ventina to U2's "Vertigo" was a blast. Smile
snow report
If you ski with an MP3 player, do you find that your music influences the way you ski and your choice of runs? For example, do you want to ski bumps if you're listening to dance music? Does punk make you ski aggressive black runs? Does easy listening send you down some gentle greens?
snow conditions
I like taking mine with me, though most of the time I quite like skiing without - enjoying the noise (or lack of..) in the mountains or singing to myself Smile

BUT it is sometimes nice to have it...looking at helmets at the moment, looks like you can get some with built in earphones...tempting, very tempting...

Ed
latest report
mdemon2, no law against it but I think you were right the second time. Slopes are getting more dangerous without removing an important early warning sense too.
snow report
I was about to be wipedout by a boarder in Vail who was about to take a jump at the side of the piste with total disregard and lack of awareness of others around him on the slope.

Only an aggressive shout from me stood between a (potentially catastrophic) high speed crash and a near miss.

His response was to hurtle past, cheerily shouting, "Good job ya hollered, man!"

God knows what could have happened had he been riding to the latest tunes on his ipod.

Consequently I'm of the opinion that music and the slopes just do not go together and the use of headphones should be outlawed. I was horrified to see Graham Bell teach Fiona Bruce to ski, last week on Ski Sunday, by handing her an MP3 and asking her to ski in time to the tune. Then again, maybe she was skiing to the 1970's football terrace chant, "You're going home in a ****ing ambulance!"
snow report
Interestingly I was asked last weekend if I ever skied with one. An instructor seemed to think it would be worth trying to make me ski less aggressively and could make my turns smoother. I'll probably give it a try next time I'm out just to see if it makes a difference. I'll have to be careful I don't play nosebleed techno else I'll probably ski even worse Twisted Evil
snow conditions
Hullite wrote:
I could still hear everything around me but as a middling intermediate I found it great for calming nerves on trickier bits. I enjoy the silence on the mountains but sometimes the combination of scenery, skiing and great tunes was brilliant. Storming down the red Ventina to U2's "Vertigo" was a blast. Smile

I use a underwater one for similar reasons. Smile

I think I'll take mine and see how I feel on the empty slopes. TBH, I think I need and like the aural feedback somebody else mentioned.
snow report
John Crawford wrote:

Consequently I'm of the opinion that music and the slopes just do not go together and the use of headphones should be outlawed. I was horrified to see Graham Bell teach Fiona Bruce to ski, last week on Ski Sunday, by handing her an MP3 and asking her to ski in time to the tune. Then again, maybe she was skiing to the 1970's football terrace chant, "You're going home in a ****ing ambulance!"

and other classics like. 'you'll never make the (lift) station..'
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy