Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mounting bindings further forward for women's skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Is that true? Do they mount bindings further forward on women's skis to make them easier to turn?

I bought a pair of Fisher AMC70's for my fiance to use on our honeymoon (ebay ski bilek offer end of season last year). They're fitted with railflex bindings and i'm wondering if i should move the bindings forward 10mm (the rails allow that) so that they compare favourably with the one luv's she had last year.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
lower, Women have their centre of gravity in a different position to a man, which is one of the reasons why women specific skis are made. Why not experiment with different binding positions to see which you prefer. The ski will probably feel easier and more willing to turn, although there is a downside of mounting the bindings too far forward, which is a lack of pressure to the tail of the ski, which can mean that your turns could become very skiddy, due to the tails washing out, through lack of grip.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Spyderman wrote:
lower, Women have their centre of gravity in a different position to a man, which is one of the reasons why women specific skis are made. Why not experiment with different binding positions to see which you prefer. The ski will probably feel easier and more willing to turn, although there is a downside of mounting the bindings too far forward, which is a lack of pressure to the tail of the ski, which can mean that your turns could become very skiddy, due to the tails washing out, through lack of grip.

This article says
Quote:
As it turns out, one way to make a ski skid easily is to move the binding position back.

So… moving the bindings forward makes it easier to skid a ski and moving the bindings back also makes it easier to skid a ski. Puzzled Confused

I think I'll leave mine in the middle.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If they were my skis, i'd experiment because the railflex system makes it very easy to adjust the binding for and aft position.

As it is, i was hoping for the combined wisdom of snowheads to advise me on where to start the binding position in so that she's likely to get the best out of the skis from day one.

I think i'll start them in the centre position unless anyone tells me otherwise.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
putting the bindings further back makes them skid easier Wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If we use the car analogy, more grip to the front wheels than the back = oversteer
more to the back than the front = understeer
Both = skid
Grip has to be balanced between front and back, in order to acheive smooth controlled turns.
too far back or forward, gives skiddy turns.
Set them up to manufacturers instructions, then play around with them, as to what suits your technique, posture, phisiology, style and preference best.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Historically K2 do all sorts of odd things with their binding mount postition marks that do not relate to any known law of physics or other ski brands. The one luv may be included in this cheerful disregard for accepted norms.

I suspect there's a bloke called Chuck in the K2 factory with a permenant marker and a poor eye for distances who says "we'll call this" *waves around random ski* "a 179 and stick the boot centre, oh, I dunno" *closes eyes* "there."
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Seriously for a second.
So in the thinking about the centre of gravity for the woman.. what about a man with a big belly? Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy