Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Backpack / Drink Pack Recomendations

Poster: A snowHead
Hello,
Can anyone give me any advice / guidance on a Backpack / Drink Pack?
There seems to be loads available - don't want anything too big or too expensive. Just to carry goggles, glasses, wallet camera etc.
Thanks in advance Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've got one of these. It's just big enough to put a small fleece, packed lunch and goggles in. I wasn't overly impressed by the bladder that came with it, so just use my platypus with it. The reason I like thebag is that it is small enough that when I'm skiing, I don't notice it;s there.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
CarlT, as you say there's loads on the market. The choice starts getting tricky if you want to carry avi gear or carry skis etc. If don't just look for something with a hip strap & a chest/sternum strap to keep it stable when sliding. Compression straps are good to keep it as flat as possible to save removing it on lifts.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
spyderjon wrote:
CarlT, as you say there's loads on the market. The choice starts getting tricky if you want to carry avi gear or carry skis etc. If don't just look for something with a hip strap & a chest/sternum strap to keep it stable when sliding. Compression straps are good to keep it as flat as possible to save removing it on lifts.

Thanks for the advice - looks like a trip to S&R Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
CarlT, I book a water pack thingy and filled it full of Genepe Embarassed Laughing . Didn't work that week so took the inard thing out and now use the back pack for glasses and some other bits and pieces and put a hip flask in the back pack. Given up on water, theres always yellow snow in an emergency Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If you're getting a hydration pack, make sure the hose is insulated as It'll probably freeze up quickly if it's not.

Some of the Dakine packs run the hose through the shoulder strap which insulates it. When you need a drink, there's a wee zip by your shoulder to get at the hose.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Berghaus 'Bladdered'. It's a hydration pack, but I just use it as a rucksack.

http://www.blacks.co.uk/092312/product/092312.aspx?searchbreadcrumbs=brand%7CBLK-SS06-Berghaus(BLG-Base-Catalog)%7CBerghaus&refine=BLG-Rucksack-Type%7CRucksack%7CString

The perfect size, for me at least. Sandwiches, bottle of water, extra layer, camera, wallet, sun cream, and with a bit of room to spare. Comfy, stable, unobtrusive, doesn't need to be removed for lifts.

Plus it says 'bladdered' on the side. Which is what I usually am.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have a Source Bladder. Had it a few years and it's very robust and has took some agro. Bro got it me from usa, but I think you can get them here now. Sales garb show'd a pic of a Chevy Truck ( like A team van ) with it's front wheel on it while full.
Back pack wise I use a Stockli one. Best fit I've ever had, comparing it with a Black Diamond ski specific model too!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Won't be much help as there isn't a store near you, but I used a Decathlon one this year: 2L bladder (plenty enough I found) and the bag big enough to hold small fleece, wallet, mobile, camera, sunglasses. It has the hip and sternum straps, as per spyderjon recommendations, as well as the compression straps. I hardly knew it was on my back, which I was really impressed with, excpet when using chair lifts but did not find it a problem. I was warned by the guy at the store that it may freeze, but I think it would have to be really cold for that to happen...

Edit to add that at £20, I could not really go wrong anyway.. Smile
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
CarlIT I have one of these, not to big not to small and does everything just bought a camelback for the water. Just the right amount of storage space and fits comfy when buckled up.

http://www.lowealpine.com/Products/Detail.asp?ProductTypeID=12&ProductGroupID=1223&Position=6&SpecificActivityID=
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Aldi, £8. Does the job fine.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If your bladder does not have an insulated hose, just blow the water back into bladder each time you take a drink. This stops the hose freezing.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Fergus wrote:
If you're getting a hydration pack, make sure the hose is insulated as It'll probably freeze up quickly if it's not.

Some of the Dakine packs run the hose through the shoulder strap which insulates it. When you need a drink, there's a wee zip by your shoulder to get at the hose.
Yep they do freeze really quickly. My friend has a Dakine one and that solves the problem (apart from the fact he says he always forgets to put the hose back in the strap!)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have a Dakine pack and it works well, the only downside is it doesn't run the hose through the shoulder strap
which means on a couple of occasions in canada it's frozen in the pipe.
I carry my goggles, spare hat, and gloves and some snack bars in it

my advice
1. get one that runs down the strap
2. get one that allows the pipe mouth piece to lock
3. get one with a couple of pockets for snack bars, etc

a tip I use is after I have a drink I blow back down the pipe to force the water back so it is less likely to freeze. sometimes works not always hope this helps
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Fergus wrote:
When you need a drink, there's a wee zip by your shoulder to get at the hose.

A... a what? To get at the what?
snow conditions
The hose - the pipe you drink the water from. On some rucksacks, you can run this pipe through the material of the bag's shoulder strap, which prevents the water freezing in the pipe.

Look at the pictures Smile
http://www.dakine.com/ski/packs/snow/heli-pack/
snow report
nothin worse than a a frozen hose spoo Shocked Crying or Very sad

BCA Stash are the business (with a "backcountry" option that's bigger). bit pricey tho
snow report
Thank you all for the advice - much appreciated ! Smile
snow conditions
The Source bladders are great - do not develop weird smell, taste (zero maintanance) etc. Currently have a North Face Dogfish, mainly for biking, very light, and i'm waiting to see how the bladder will hold up to abuse (it has a very slim profile so i'll try and wear under my jacket to keep it from freezing) . North Face also have 2 packs with HEATED padding for the pipe (tres expensive, but an excellent idea).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy