Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

backcountry pack - what size?

Poster: A snowHead
20litre or 16 lite or a compact one?
Big enough to fit shovel, probe, camelbak, transceiver, other bits and bobs

been looking at dakine heli pro or
salomon zero s
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
GordonFreeman, 16 or 20litre is too small for full avi gear plus other off-piste essentials. Dakine Heli Pro, the Pro II & their Vertex pack are superb but too small.

Get something 27/28/29 litre capacity with compression straps for when it's not full. Make sure it's bladder pack compatible & has a ski carry system.

I've a Black Diamond Frenzy 28litre pack that I'm just about to put on the market at a very cheap price if you're interested.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I use 16l for a daypack (BCA Stash IIRC). Works well for me, but I carry very little stuff (shovel, probe, sometimes a water bladder, hat, sunnies, Kit-kat, spare Kit-kat, emergency Kit-kat, that kind of stuff. For that 16l is about right for me, and doesn't need to be removed on chairlifts.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar, wow 16l is small. I always carry a midweight fleece as unless it's v.cold when I set off I only wear a base layer. I always carry a bladder pack, hat, mask, spare gloves, spare gogs, wallet, phone, first aid kit & a mini tool kit. Nothing in my pockets except a map & lipsalve. Can't get all that in 16l. I still never have to take off my pack on chairlifts. I'd still recommend buying a bigger pack that can be compressed down when required as you'll also use it as your carry-on luggage bag.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
spyderjon, I'd guess that if you wore the fleece you'd get the rest in my pack without too much hassle. I keep the phone in a pocket, don't bother with spares (other than Kit-kats), carry no tools, etc. Mine is more of a daypack for a bit of lift-served off-piste rather than a backcountry pack.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
GordonFreeman, dakine heli pro - it works and I've never met anyone who is not pleased with theirs.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm more with spyderjon on the size front and find my Marmot La Meije works very well. At 35 litres it is rather on the large side but compresses down nicely. The only downside is you tend to throw in more stuff than you really need (down jacket/camera etc). The ski carry system is quick, painless and extremely well balanced. There's a 25 litre version this year (the fireball) but have never used it and hence cannot comment.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
a marmot la meije is a perfect size for a week of hut to hut touring. as a day pack, i have no idea what people put into their packs that 20l isn't enough Shocked
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Arno wrote:
i have no idea what people put into their packs that 20l isn't enough Shocked

Kit kats. It's a wonder they make DIN settings high enough.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Heli pro seems to be about £60 and then you have to buy a camelbak to go with.
What's the Salomon Zero S like? I thought it came with a camel bak included and has all the other functionality?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stoatsbrother wrote:
GordonFreeman, dakine heli pro - it works and I've never met anyone who is not pleased with theirs.

Wot he said. Another vote for the Heli pro.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar wrote:
Kit-kat, spare Kit-kat, emergency Kit-kat

Are you mad? Peanut M&Ms, a Twix and some Jelly Babies/Cola Bottles are a far superior choice. wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kramer, as ever, you have great taste Wink The trouble is with that combination is that I would have eaten my entire day's supply of sugar before the first lift. The advantage to Kit-kats is that I don't really like them so there is a fair chance that they might last until later in the day when they would be more appreciated.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, If you fill your sack with maltesers then they may act like an ABS system and keep you on the surface Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
GordonFreeman, dont put your transceiver in your pack, wear it.
spyderjon, bca stash takes all avi gear plus picnic, come on how big is the mini tool kit.
ski holidays
jbob wrote:
.....spyderjon.......come on how big is the mini tool kit.

Rumbled Embarassed
snow report
Scarpa wrote:
rob@rar, If you fill your sack with maltesers then they may act like an ABS system and keep you on the surface Laughing

Top tip! How many Maltesers family packs would it take to fill 16 litres. At this point can I revise my advice and say that at least 30 litres (of Maltesers) is required?
ski holidays
spyderjon, I use an Osprey Switch 16L pack , good ski carry system and 2 very handy hipstrap pocket, will hold 2ltr bladder, shovel, probe, sunnies, glove liners, face mask, spare micro fleece, edge tool, notwax,lock and most importantly hip flask and still has room for more .
snow report
I've just bought an Osprey Stratos 24 for skiing and biking. The pack itself is very light weight, bladder compatible and has plenty of compression straps. I've used it s couple of times and it's great, the fit to your back is the best i've ever used. You hardly know it's there.

I'd recommend it but maybe mistermouse's Osprey Switch is better if you want a ski carry system too.
snow report
I use a Dakine heli pro, but find it a bit small. Its Ok for on piste use, but if I'm touring I like to be able to fit a lot of kit in it. For skinning up I might be wearing just saloppettes and T shirt, but I need to carry fleece, jacket and waterproof - never know what conditons might end up like (especially when you do all your touring in scotland Wink )
ski holidays
I have a BCA Stash 40 and an Osprey Switch 25 + 5. Both are big enough for day tours. The Stash is lighter but the ski carry system is too flimsy - for big climbs, the ski edges will (has Sad ) chaff a hole in the pack in next to no time.
latest report
I'd personally go for 20l if it's just for day tours/lift served with no glacier travel - skins are quite bulky if you have fat skis. If you are going to on galciers with any risk of open crevasses etc then you'll need space harness, rope, ascenders, etc, perhaps even crampons - 30l would be better. For multi-day hut to hut stuff then I think I'd prefer 40l with good compression.
latest report
20 ltrs carries everything.... small rope, harness, decent sized shovel..and therefore not next to useless.. and othere day stuff....
More to the point is how heavy you want the thing to be.. ..

I wouldn't want the pack loaded to the brim tho'... a bit of a uncomfortable feel, IMV
ski holidays
I vote for a larger size, around 25L is normally enough. I also have a 32L. I hope you people using ting 16L packs never have the stuff hit the fan and have to stay over night, as you are obviously not taking enough gear to survive a night in the backcountry.
latest report
wbsr wrote:
I vote for a larger size, around 25L is normally enough. I also have a 32L. I hope you people using ting 16L packs never have the stuff hit the fan and have to stay over night, as you are obviously not taking enough gear to survive a night in the backcountry.

i think Mark Twight said something like, "if you pack for a bivouac, you will have a bivouac"
ski holidays
wbsr, this is Europe, 'backcountry' is a porta-potty behind the mountain bar. wink

But seriously, we don't have the extended ungroomed areas that you do over the pond so unless people are going ski touring they don't need to carry much for a day on the hill. Though I do think that we should all carry a little more as a basic survival package, if not for just ourselves but to be able to keep an injured companion warm and comfortable whilst waiting 2 or 3 hours for the rescue team to get there.

Mine usually has a space blanket, spare gloves, extra (thicker, windproof) fleece, spare hat, led bicycle lamps (red flashing and white) and two chemical heat packs. Oddly I rarely carry food 'cos I'm a lardy booger but thinking about it I should carry a hydration bladder.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy