Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Parents coming to Meribel - Guiding for snowshoeing?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I'm off to Meribel on Sunday for a big family chalet holiday... My parents are non-skiers, but wanted to come along for the familyness (not a real word!) of the trip.

They are fit, experienced hill walkers and would like to have a go at snowshoeing. The best I've been able to suggest is that they contact the ski schools to see what they can offer. I think they have ended up booking a couple of sessions with Magic Meribel (or whatever they are called these days). These seem to be quite expensive, and I'm a little worried that they are just going to end up doing several laps of the 'snowshoe taster session' walks that ski schools normally offer.

Does anyone have any better suggestions as to who they could contact to get someone to show them what is good to do around the 3 valleys on racquettes? Alternatively, is there much prospect of them getting a map and wandering off on their own around after a ski school has shown them the ropes; does anyone know of a map that would suit this (not just IGN, something with suggested routes)?

Thanks,
Dave
snow conditions
 brian
brian
alfabus,

http://www.cieguidevanoise.com/activites_raquettes.htm
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
alfabus, have a look at the summer trails map here on my site

http://www.pleva.net/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/ThreeValleysSummerTrails.pdf

the trails are well used in the winter and i would have them go into the nature reserve up in mottaret as there are many good walks in the Lac Tueda area. also around the altiport area in Meribel where the golf course is in the summer is nice...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
alfabus, can't speak about Meribel, but your parents will find snowshoeing very enjoyable. The ski schools here lead walks on snowshoes - certainly not "laps" - but worthwhile walks. A locally knowledgeable commentary on the flora and fauna, life in the farms etc, is a great bonus. Ours is a small resort, but many people come to do things other than ski, and the tourist office provides maps with walking and snowshoeing tracks clearly marked. The tracks for walking are pisted - you don't need snowshoes on them at all, though I always take a pair of walking poles. The snowshoe (raquettes) paths are ONLY for snowshoes, because generally speaking they are impassable without. You just sink in.

If they have gaiters for hill walking, take them. You don't need to wear warm and waterproof ski type trousers unless the weather is very cold, because walking keeps you warm. But the bottoms of the trousers do get very wet, and you get snow down the socks - hence the need for gaiters. Any stout walking boots will do fine. Have you looked at the Meribel tourist site?

I have not done any very heroic snowshoeing but I did find myself feeling slightly uneasy one day about avalanche risk - and turned back from my planned route. Going with a ski school or guide, in the first instance, is probably a good idea.

It takes only a very few minutes to get used to snowshoes - the ones you hire generally have an option to clip down the heel (for uneven slopes) or leave them loose, which is easier and doesn't chuck so much snow up the back of your trousers. For steep ascents you can raise a heel thing - I believe that "skis de randonee" have the same thing, but am too old to start down that road now! You ought to go with them one day, it's a great alternative to skiing, and you see the country from a very different perspective.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the advice everyone; keep it coming if you have more... I've pointed them in the direction of this thread, so they can see what you are suggesting.

Once they are sorted I can put all my efforts into wishing for lots of nice fresh powder to play with!!

Dave
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We were in Meribel with a non-skiing father in law (but a experienced walker so like your parents) who did some snow shoeing and some walking. The ESF offer a guided snow shoe walk each morning and most afternoons as does the link above I think. Also there are a large number of groomed walking trails, you can get a (slightly) helpful map from the tourist office! Also you can get a walkers pass for the lifts so they can travel on the gondalas and some of the chairs in order to access the other valleys, you can actually walk around to La Tania (and probably Courcheval) so if they are good walkers that would be a good day out and then take the lifts back.

Also you can walk from the top of the Rhodos gondala to top of Col dela Loze (the actual groomed trail stops a bit below the top but you can walk the last bit on the edge of the piste if you are careful), and there is a nice restaurant on the top.

Cheers,
Peter
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy