Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

nightlife in engelberg?

Poster: A snowHead
Quality:
also, what is the skiing and boarding like?
on piste
off piste

Guides:
Any recommended guides, off piste courses, etc?

Nightlife:
any decent nightlife in engelberg?
Went to Davos recently and apres ski was non existent!!!!! maybe it was just the time of year...

I know there are many threads on this but bthe search function here isn't outstanding Wink am going in 2 weeks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
anyone...anyone Smile
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
GordonFreeman, Ok

I have been there an strolled aound at night - didnt seem particularly lively. Certainly nil on the Zermatt/Verbier level.

Guides: Freddie Krumenacher recommended- look at the SCGB freshtracks holidays there for more guide names

Piste - rather limited on two disconnected hills.

Off-Piste excellent, but you will need a guide for all of it

Not a boarder so couln't answer about that

When I went there I broke a rib or 2 (on-piste) on day 1, and did not make the most of things after that Embarassed

I had held back from posting because I know there are others on this site with way more knowldege about the place. ? PM Richjp
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have just returned from my fourth trip to Engelberg.

On piste skiing - very limited

Off piste skiing - as good as it gets. You will need a guide to get the best out of it as some of the best routes begin on glaciers. Some of the exits from some of the more accessible routes can also be tricky depending on conditions.

Guides - my trip was with the SCGB. The guides they use I believe are all independent and are all first class. I suspect that they are fully booked for the time you are going but it might be worth you contacting the ski club to see if they can help.

Nightlife - not a great deal. The main focus apres ski is the Yucatan bar in the Belvedere Hotel opposite the railway station. Large pitchers of beer at happy hour prices of SF9 between five and six o'clock! That has to be a bargain for Switzerland. I think the Yucatan can also get quite lively later in the evening.

We did go up to the Terrace Hotel later one evening. It is very obvious, located above the village and accessed by it's own ancient funicular which runs all night. There was quite a lively disco going on when we went and I assume it is open every evening.

Good luck. It's a great off piste resort which is why I have now gone four years running. The night life is a bit limited though.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stoatsbrother,

That was good timing!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
richjp, Glad you had a good time - I plan to go back there one year with a bit more fitness. Off to Fernie on Friday. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yucutan - the best apres ski in the Alps!

well, that's the name of a Facebook group anyway

what the others say about the skiing. if you're reasonably experienced at off-piste, there is actually a lot you can do without a guide - much of it is pretty easy to work out yourself. if you're not experienced, the stuff off Jochstock would be doable on your own; wouldn't recommend the glaciated stuff or the Laub without someone who knows what they are doing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I thought the Laub was the black run or is it the other side?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yucatan, Eden Bar for the chill out bar scene & darts, CC Music Bar - don't bother IME, Der Spindle for drunken Scandinavian clubbing (killing seals is illegal in CH).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Is there a bar called Engelberg Humperdinck's? And if not...why not??

CD.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
read this thread

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=210548#210548
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
GordonFreeman, the Laub I am thinking of is the huge face you see on the second stage of the lifts up to Trubsee. It isn't pisted but it is a classic so gets skied a lot. That said, it is about 35 degrees and north facing so you need to be pretty wary of avalanches, I would think. I've never actually caught it in good condition so pls take this with a pinch of salt
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Arno wrote:
GordonFreeman, the Laub I am thinking of is the huge face you see on the second stage of the lifts up to Trubsee. It isn't pisted but it is a classic so gets skied a lot. That said, it is about 35 degrees and north facing so you need to be pretty wary of avalanches, I would think. I've never actually caught it in good condition so pls take this with a pinch of salt

I am pleased to say we caught the Laub last week in perfect condition under clear blue skies, crisp temperatures, no wind and after a fresh overnight snowfall. No wonder I enjoy Engelberg. As you say it does get well skied probably because it is very easy to access.

I agree with your point about avalanche danger although in four trips to Engelberg I have never seen any signs of an avalanche on the part of the Laub where most people ski. I understood from our guides that they do blast the right hand side as you look up, because of the beginner pistes below.

Gordon, I think when you mention a black run, you may be thinking of the only route down from Titlis, which is now reclassified as an itinerary route.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
richjp, i know a guy who set one off there. he's a pretty knowledgeable bloke hence my caution. he's also a ripping skier and was able to ski out of it

also, no need to rub it in about the laub in perfect condition Mad wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Good description of the off piste possibilities here . Also see the Resort website for a good piste-map (if you click on it you get it really big).
And Here is a list of Engelberg guides. If you Google them individually you will find many have Websites or contact the guides office (see resort website). I have heard good things of Fredi, Christen and Christian - and have booked Fredi.
Also, to save you looking, here is the list of Hotels (there are also apartments and pensions (B & B)). When you click on them they all refer you to their position on a map.
I will be going there for the third week of March (my first visit): so the above is a short cut through some results of my trawlings of the Web.

Edit: Just noticed you said you go in 2 weeks so you presumably already have a hotel. Book the guide now (the best may already be booked up).
latest report
Would you book a whole day off piste or just a half day?
Or maybe 2 half days?
snow conditions
I don't know if Swiss guides do half days. He may prefer to be booked whole days anyway. Best you ask the guides office. I don't know if anyone there will put you in a group with others of like standard - I would guess perhaps not, but its worth asking (a guide on your own is very expensive).

We will be there for 8 days and booked 6 days with Fredi - but that is shared between six of us which is the most economical number (most guides don't like to take more than 6)
snow conditions
Arno wrote:
richjp,

also, no need to rub it in about the laub in perfect condition Mad wink

Sorry I was not meaning to rub it in.

At least I didn't mention that we actually skied it twice and that the second time round was just as good because.......

Whoops - sorry again. Blush
snow report
most of the guides seem booked up? Puzzled
any ideas? might just have to pop into the guides office on the day and hope.
ski holidays
If you are pretty sorted then you can do the glacier easily enough as route finding isn't hard..there are a few catch areas though. It isn't a place you want to dawdle through tho' and getting over the ice band needs some thought.

Jockstock is a good intro and again obvious as is the backside.

If, when you get there and see the place you don't know what to make of it..then you need a guide..

Otherwise, as above.
ski holidays
Perhaps contact the Guides' Office and ask them to find you one? Or did you do that already?
latest report
also, i have found the tourist office super helpful and efficient in the past so maybe drop them an email.
ski holidays
I reckon it's definitely worth getting a guide for a day - he'll be able to show you loads if stuff and for the rest of the trip you'll be able to make your own decisions about which of the areas you feel happy repeating/exploring further unguided. I can't remember the name of the guide we used but he was via the guides office. As JT says, there is a lot to do around Jockstock which is neither serious or difficult to navigate

Nightlife is fairly limited beyond the mexican themed place (Yucatan?). Good eating though. I remember going to very traditional restaurant (Club Alpine or something similar) and ordering the Weiner Schitzel (or equivalent) - just as we'd eaten one large portion and agreed that we were stuffed they came back and refilled our plates completely. Obviously we struggled manfully with the second helping and needed some medicinal grappa to aid the digestion....
ski holidays
Expense is the problem. Most guides seem to charge around the CHf500-600 for a day. Not a problem with 4 people but when you only have 2, it becomes costly in addition to lessons on other days and that kind of thing.
I may go into the guides office the day before and see if there is a group otherwise get the credit card out Wink
It is in fact cheaper to get a ski instructor to take you off piste but they focus mainly on skills rather than finding routes, etc.
latest report
Fredi Charges 660SF per day for our group of 6 - ie 660SF (about £270) each for 6 days.
latest report
He's busy, as is:
Aschwanden Chrigu, Christen Mege, Christen Roger, and Sämi Speck.
Hmm
snow conditions
GordonFreeman,

It is the glacier you go there for though and I doubt the Instructor can take you there.

The place is not worth it if piste skiing, you have to be looking at the Laub..best skiing on the left looking down but that has its problems, the Steinberg Glacier and Galtiberg. The Jockstok gets you onto the lower part of the Steinberg glacier from the opposite end.
latest report
GordonFreeman wrote:
I thought the Laub was the black run or is it the other side?

The Laub is off-piste and accessed normally via a little hike from the top of a chairlift. I skied it once and wrote up the experience for the SCGB magazine Ski Survey. The conditions were breakable crust and a local instructor was showing me the way. It's one of the longest and most impressive faces of continuous perfect skiing gradient in the Alps and even in those conditions it was a very memorable experience.

I also had a taste of the off-piste skiing in the glaciated areas of the Titlis - also excellent.

When I was there, the two main ski areas were connected by a two-way t-bar across what I think was a frozen lake.

Personally I'd ski Engelberg as a 3-day experience and maybe combine it with Andermatt and the Gemstock (which I've not yet skied).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JT wrote:
GordonFreeman,

It is the glacier you go there for though and I doubt the Instructor can take you there.

Yes, only guides can take you on gaciers.
snow conditions
Some instructors have guide experience don't they? ...or is this a legal thing?
snow conditions
No, guides have a very long training which includes things others do not learn. Also they carry ropes etc. Instructors are not qualified or insured to lead on glaciers.
snow report
Just for reference, the instructors were quite happy to go out on the glaciers and the Laub. Maybe they had guide qualifications but I don't think so...
They did know their stuff though and the routes...
snow report
Excellent information here....

We plan to be there over Easter 28 March - 1 April, should equal out to about 3,5 days skiing I reckon...sounds to be about the right amount of mountain for 3,5 days skiing...

Will contact the tourist office to see about a guide
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy