Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which ski to hire?

Poster: A snowHead
OK I am off to Val d'Isere next week and will be hiring a guide with a group for a week.

I will probably not have much time between arriving and meeting the guide as we arrive late so I won't be able to go around masses of places tgo get a particular ski. Would anyone care to list a few different skis that I should be after if they pop up. I am about 6' 2" and 95kg currently ridiculousy unfit compared with most years Embarassed A fairly regular off piste skier without much style and not very good in the heavier stuff.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Probably available would be a Rossignol B83(B3) in 184cm.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Looking on www.snowrental.net

You could get a Dynastar Legend Mythic Rider from Iseran Sport 2000

Or a Scott Neo (I have them and am very pleased Very Happy ) from Eskiador Sport 2000
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
K2 Apache Recons in 184cm.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks very much for the information so far, I will stick them all on a possibles list plus the Scott Missions which seem to be a good all round ski. Although I was not to impressed with the Neo on the indoor surface at Braehead, which probably says as much about the surface and my skiing as about the skis though. Embarassed

Any other suggestions?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Sorry to hijack the thread, but do your regular hire-shops usually have skis like the Scott Mission or rossi bandits available for hire.

I usually just get offered a fairly decent on-piste carver but I'd be interested in taking out a more all-mountain ski this year.

Do you guys ask for a specific ski when you go in to hire?
latest report
 brian
brian
T Bar, recons are all rounders, fine off piste but not for the unfit wink Make it easy on yourself and go big !

Jean Sports on the main street is where Alpine Experience are based, so probably a good source of phatties.

Voelkls are a good bet: Gotama, Mantra, Bridge in decreasing girth.

You are almost certain to find Dynastar, I liked the Legend 8800, the Legend Mythic rider is its replacement. Going bigger are the Pro Rider and the Pro XXL.

K2 Outlaws or Coombas.

Stoeckli (doubt you'll see them in France) Stormrider XXL or DP Pros.

If you're going to do piste skiing as well, then Mantra/Bridge or Mythic rider or maybe K2 Outlaw should all suit. Purely o/p and if it's deep, go bigger.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
T Bar, wot Brian said.

If you've got a guide then I assume you're expecting to be off-piste for the whole week. I'm about the same weight as you, and would say go for nothing less than 88mm underfoot (93-95 optimum) and nothing shorter than 180cm - 185 by preference. If you've got power to go with the weight, then I found the DP Pros and the Legend Pro Riders really good last year, although you're not going to be making any particularly tight turns with them without a lot of effort. Maybe even go up from the Outlaws to the K2 Chiefs - although you have to make sure you're well on top of those as they do have a bit of a sting in the tail. If you're offered the Movement Pow-Pow, look elsewhere - I found them virtually unskiable.

A rather lighter and more forgiving ski (which I now own), is the Black Diamond Kilowatt, although they're probably not going to be available unless you find a really dedicated off-piste shop.

Then for an easy time there's always the Pocket Rocket repalcement (not skied it myself, but seen some pretty effective skiing on them) - Salomon (1080) Gun.

If you don't have the power for the weight, then....you're stuffed Laughing .
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
T Bar wrote:
Any other suggestions?

Sally X-wing Tornando? I liked 'em, and I saw a piste police/rescue geezer on them in Cervina recently - it that means owt...

fergus you need to be the boss - walk in, get them to show you what they've got, then say ' no thanks' and walk out - try it a few times... imagine you're after a new telly and you've just strolled into Currys in your lunch break - are you bovvered?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hmm, that's not so easy for me at present as I go with my family and on turn-around day, in a busy shop, I don't think they give a 17 year old english-speaker much attention. rolling eyes Anyway, cheers and sorry for de-railing the thread.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Fergus, good points all... my apologies also for thread-crimes.... Embarassed
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Fergus, rossi bandits will be absolutely everywhere. Scott Missions only slightly rarer, but in much fewer numbers - but they will also be snapped up well ahead of the Bandits (by anyone with any sense anyway Wink ).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
fergus, best thing to do is make a list of the skis that you think you'd like to try, & then ask for them when you get to the shop. I think most people don't really have much idea of particular makes or models, so the hire-shop guys have large stocks of middle-of the-road (-piste?) skis to hand out to all comers. In my experience, if you do have a particular ski in mind, they'll try to provide it (maybe even from another branch if you're in a large resort) or at least something similar. Also, make sure you get a hire tariff that allows you to change skis, then you can always go back at a quieter time & spend longer choosing something if you want to...

Sorry to continue the thread hijack Embarassed
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've skied for 2 weeks on Movement Sparks..they do everything without being too heavy...from knee high to a bullet hard resort run..
If you get very good conditions then go as wide as you feel you can... 85-90mm should be easy enough to ski.

Any of the Missions should do ok...the old Karma..
Outlaws are a heavy ski with rental bindings.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
most hire shops in val have web sites, book in advance,you may not have much choice if arriving late or in hurry plus would save much time and stress, you will be able to see exactly what is on offer. if contact with guide is available why not ask him to suggest where and which to hire the magic discount word may well be spoken. good luck im sure you will love val and dont forget the follie du on way home
snow report
Thanks all I have printed off the suggestions as I can't remember names. Off to the airport shortly.
snow report
Its a shame Europe doesn't follow Whistler's ( and I am guessing NA ) path. Here you can rent skis, and change them every day if you like for no extra cost. i have a link in my signature to one ski rental place in Whistler, and they let you try a new pair every day. So if it snows a foot, you get powder skis, if it is groomer weather, they give you carvers. obviously you can get whatever you like.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy