Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone been to Solden recently

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Off to Solden on Thursday for our annual boyski weekend. Back on Monday night.

Never been there before but have done lots of research so feel I know the place a little already.

Seem to recall some snowheads were out there earlier this month, so if anyone has any tips / recommendations / must do's / must dont's etc etc we'd love to hear from you.

If anyone is out there now, how is the snow holiding up and will there be some more this week ? Forecasts are maybe suggesting a light dusting over next few days.

err, can't think of any more Q's now, maybe more will crop up as the excitement builds .....
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Did not ski there when I moved from Zillertal Valley (Mayrhofen) to Silvretta Valley (Ischgl) last week. We did about a week skiing in each valley.

Otztal Valley is in middle of the journey so we stopped at Otez, Solden and Obergurgl just to have a look at these resorts.

There is no worry of snow there at the moment. Not anywhere from Zillertal to Silvretta as far as we could see.

We like Solden and will try to come back to spend a week there, hopefully pocketing Obergurgl as well which starts at 1930m level.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
masmith,

Some info in this thread might be useful to you .....

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=829129&highlight=s%F6lden#829129
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I find for Austrian resorts this site is a gold mine for information. It lists Solden currently

Quote:

snow depth mountain: 158cm
snow depth valley: 15cm
snow condtion: grainy
last snowfall Region: 25.01.2008
fresh snow mountain: -
fresh snow valley: -
avalanche alert level: no information [avalanche alert service]
weather (Today, 08:4Cool
weather mountain: no info
weather valley: no info
pistes and liftspistes and lifts
business:
09.00 - 16.00 Uhr
piste conditions: very good
valley ski-run: very good
open lifts: 32 from 34
offene Pisten: 145km from 146km
Weitere InformationenWeitere Informationen
amusement park: open
half-pipe: closed
snowboard cross: closed
toboggan run: open
Eislaufplatz: open

I found good agreement with the 10 resorts I visited in the last two weeks.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
saikee, good site. Thanks for sharing.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks saikee, wonder why the skier cross is closed, hope that opens, need to get revenge on a mate who beat me last time out .. you know who you are !!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
masmith, hi there, we were there at New Year and the snow was good. They were making plenty too. If there is anything else you need to know please feel free to ask. Enjoy ! snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
masmith,

Have been a few times. my favourite routine is to get an early cable car all the way to the top of the Gaislachskogel and take the red 1 and then red 5 to the bottom of chair 13 which takes you up to the Rotkogljoch. If it hasn't snowed for a while these reds are pretty hard and fast but they provide awesome views and are often empty. From the Rotkogljoch you can either go to your right to the Giggijoch area or to your left towards the gondolas that take you towards the Glaciers. I normally head towards the Glaciers at this point because they get very busy in the afternoon. As far as the Glaciers go the Rettenbach glacier is generally less busy probably because it gets less of the sun. This is where they hold the early season World Cup slalom. The other glacier (Tiefenbach) is wide open and as long as you get there before the masses it's great for some big turns.

A few tips:
> if you don't fancy the runs back down to the resort (to be honest they're not that great if the snow is patchy) then you'll face a long queue to get down from the Giggijoch gondola anytime after 3pm.
> The Gaislachkogl is generally much quieter although the snow is often not quite as good.
> The ski route 66 to the valley from Rettenbach glacier can be good fun but if there's not much snow it can be a bit stoney and isn't suitable for boarders towards the end as it gets a bit flat.
> I think you can get a free day at Obergurgl and there is a free bus. Personally I think the skiing at Solden is slightly better but might be worth it for a change of scenery.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
IncogSkiSno, thanks but I can't think of any questions right now, but keep an eye out in case any of the troops pipe up.

Tirol, excellent post, right on the money, many thanks. Looked into getting a day at Obergurgl as am thinkning of there for Easter 09. For passes of 5 days or more you can pay a €10 supplement to enable you to have a day there (and vice versa). So it's not free, and given we're likely to be getting 4 day passes, not practical, another time ...

For our first 2 nights we're staying close to the Giggjoch gondola so will head back that way, most of the gang will ski down if it's physically possible to do so. Good tip though as the 2nd 2 nights were staying up in Zweiselstein so getting back down from Rotkogljoch sounds the way to go, gievn we have to get on the bus regardless.

Really looking forward to it now, Tirol's post has got the juices flowing a bit !! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
S'pose it wouldn't hurt to ask if anyone has stayed at the Hotel Dominic or the Neue Post ?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
masmith,

No pressure then! Can't say I know the hotels you're staying at. Any other questions then I'll do my best.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy